Hi..short question. ..my story is that last summer I was weird thirsty and bought a glucometer...my meter showed fasting BG of 100-115 and then spikes of 150-250 at 30 minutes and then quickly back down to beginning within less than an hour. OGTT was negative (I went hypo at 60). A1C was 5.5 in August and then 5.8 in December. I'm waiting to see an endo at the end of March. People on the forum have mentioned LADA since I'm 46, thin, have autoimmune disease, vegetarian, active exerciser, etc.

Today I ate two small thin crust slices of cheese pizza and my BG is not coming down like normal; it is still at around 200 2.5 hours later. I know I'm not in danger or anything but my question is this: everything has been progressing so slowly over the last four months does it just speed up like this sometimes? I have noticed a creep up in my first morning BGs over the last month, but nothing huge.

Views: 76

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

LOL not British just stubborn as all get out. Also denial I knew what the signs pointed to but refused to admit I was even more like my mother
Jim -- you are not alone. I ignored my symptoms for months. People told me to go to the doctor and I thought that i would just "get over" whatever was wrong... I ended up in the ER with my clothes barely staying up.

I didn't know anything about diabetes... so I didn't know that these were all the classic symptoms.
pizza does that, it is common. and yes, things can also abruptly speed up too.
I am not a doctor, nor have I even had diabetes all that long, but.....

1) I think your concern about neuropathy from have blood sugar in the 200s for a few hours is pretty irrational.

2). You may well have LADA, and I'm glad you're trying to get into your doctor. (waiting for doctor's appointments *sucks*). But pizza apparently is well known to do something weird to blood sugar -- it's the combination of the carbs and the fat or something. It causes sustained highs, longer and high than you would think just from the carbs. Google " pizza insulin" or something and you'll see the phenomenon described. I think people on the pump usually take a dual wave bolus for pizza and similar foods. (pump users, help?). So, the point is that your experience with the pizza is actually PROBABLY NOT A BIG CHANGE from what you were experiencing already.
Hey Kestrel...I appreciate your thoughts, but you are wrong concerning my BGs. I have been monitoring them since August they are changing ever since a couple of weeks ago, but in particular yesterday and again today. I've eaten pizza several times in the last few months and yesterday was different. I buy my own strips and have not been testing as much, but I can tell you, the BG is going up on less carbs and staying up much longer. Again, today, I ate a few carbs that normally would've not been a big deal, but my BG is up again and staying up. I ran out strips today, so I have to get more.

Now the neuropathy has been going on in a very small way for a few months. It too escalated around Christmas, I thought it was B12, (my levels were not out or range, but low) but now I have it again worse than ever the last couple of days and my feet are going numb in bed at night and are sore on the bottoms when I stand up. Bottom line is time will tell what is happening to me; I wish with my whole heart I was not feeling the nerve stuff, but it is there and it is alarming. I am in a house of people with flu and am taking Tamiflu, maybe it is the cause.

I looked up the Stats for California Kitchen 4 cheese thin crust pizza and one serving size has 31 carbs, I had less than that, so I'm thinking 25 carbs. Again this morning, I ate 23 carbs, it too sent me up. How many carbs do non insulin people eat at a meal?
Normal people? They eat anywhere up to over 100 or more without problems. I just watched my non-d husband eat pad thai...one serving 120 carbs, plus other carby stuff too, same meal. He has no idea what a gift it is to be able to eat like that.
Hope -- you gave me a chuckle. I watch my husband in awe as he eats pasta almost every night and on the off nights it's pizza or chinese food (heavy on the rice and lo mein too). His BG is so non-diabetes level -- it's like having a super hero in my house. I feel like he passes by me with a plate of that stuff and my BG elevates.
Yea, me too! He eats like that my blood sugar rises in response!

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Meet The 2014 Big Blue Test Grant Recipients

This year Diabetes Hands Foundation has pledged US$35,000 in Big Blue Test grants, continuing its support for programs aimed at providing lifesaving supplies, medical tests, treatment, and patient education to people living in need who have or at risk Read on! →

Kim Vlasnik: The Patient Voice

Kim Vlasnik, you NAILED it! In this video, Kim Vlasnik takes our breath away as she describes what its like to be a person with diabetes. Fortunately, Stanford’s Medicine-X Conference gives ePatients, like Kim, a chance to speak since we carry the Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service