What does acceptance mean to you of this journey called type 1 diabetes?

Views: 343

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You should be happy when your levels are good..Keep taking insulin, as not taking it will ruin your good work :)

Yeah, the intellectual side of me knows that, but my emotional side is VERY stupid and resistant! But I'm working on it! :-)

I've had T1 for less than a year, and I'm not sure what acceptance means to me yet. All I know is that I want to be as healthy as I can be, so I have to put D-management first. It requires a lot of conscious effort most days, and I guess I haven't gotten to the point where I have perspective and insight into the emotional side of life with D. I didn't take good care of myself before T1, so I guess acceptance would be letting go of the guilt I feel about that.

These replies are so inspiring. I'm grateful for this amazing community.

Rennie, I'm also new to this way of life..Being healthy as I can be is definitely what I'm aiming for too

I just wanted to make sure you know that you didn't do ANYTHING to cause your T1. It doesn't matter if you didn't take care of yourself at all before your diagnosis -- it would have happened anyway. I know the feelings, because I feel that way myself, but every day, my mantra is "It's NOT my fault!" And I've been saying this to myself for more than 20 years! I hope you can overcome those feelings of guilt -- I went to therapy for that and other reasons, but maybe you can do it yourself. Because you need to stare truth in the face and not beat yourself up over it!!

Thanks, Natalie. It helps to know I'm not alone in having these kinds of feelings. It sounds like you have a tremendous amount of perseverance, and I hope I will, too :) Therapy does sound like a good idea.

I have the same feelings since I got it, not only me, but also do my parents. I am the only child in my family and don't have any family members had it. Felt so alone these years...

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

The Newest Member of the DHF Team

Hi there! My name is Desiree Johnson and I’m the new addition to the DHF family! There is so much I want to share about my first few days at the office, but I’ll keep it short. The DHF team Read on! →

#OpposeAB1893: California Bill that Burdens People with Diabetes on Insulin

A couple of days ago I learned that the California State Assembly is considering AB-1893 Sharps waste, which in (if approved) will mandate that: “Sharps sold to the general public in California shall be sold with a sharps waste container Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Heather Gabel
(Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator
Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators
Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service