If my pre-meal blood sugar is fine, but my post-meal blood sugar is high, what do I do?

"Take a bigger bolus" is the obvious suggestion, but even with post-meal high blood sugar, I'm generally low before my next meal, and my basal rate is quite low (ranging from 0.100 to 0.300 during the day).

I always wait 20 minutes between bolusing and eating. Should I wait longer?

Advice, please!

Tags: advice, after meal, basal rate, before meal, high blood sugar, insulin pump

Views: 506

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hypoglycemia is not the problem--it's the post-meal highs. I'm not taking corrections, yet I still go low later, which I why I said "take more insulin" is not the solution to my problem. And boy, I wish it were 140 mg/dl [7.7 mmol/l] I was worried about.

OK, I was equating "low" with "hypo". Maybe they don't always mean the same thing :-)

But I would not sweat the after-meal highs too much.

If you are never having hypos before or during meals, you probably could bolus a little earlier. It makes me nervous because I know that's resulted in hypos for me.

And Humalog is the fast-acting insulin as far as I'm concerned! Maybe you aren't old enough to remember good old Regular :-). I regard Humalog is the instant neutron bomb in comparison.

You're right--regular is before my time. My diabetes was diagnosed just after Humalog came on the market. So, lucky me, I guess. ( :

I woke up at 143 and stayed there for hours today... too big of a chicken to correct it as it was hovering just under 150. My insulin pen does not do 1/2 units.

Finally in the afternoon, it dropped to 100 of it's own accord..

Can you get some insulin syringes that do allow for 1/2 units? You can always draw insulin from the insulin pen with a syringe.

Also, if your I:C is like 8:1, then you could eat 4g of carbs to offset the extra half unit. Just about perfect for a Dex4 tab. I actually use smarties, 6 g per roll, about 0.4 g per tab.

LOL, I totally didn't think of that. Yes, I could get ahold of syringes that would do that!

Post meal highs mean certain foods produce that high. Check out which foods are producing the high and get rid of them.

I have an absorption problem in the evening. I bolus for dinner and get low within an hour. Then my blood glucose gets really ghigh about 4 hours later. Some of that is from slower absorption of the food after having diabetes a long time.

I use a square wave bolus at night and it really seems to work well. My problem is different than yours, but theYou could try a dual wave: give some at mealtime, and the rest an hour later.

Your basal rates are really low. I basal 12.1 units over a 24 hour period and thought mine were low.

So glad the rising BG just because of getting up (at different times) isn't just me. It happens if I nap, too. I've learned to bolus a small amount as soon as I get out of bed.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Meet The 2014 Big Blue Test Grant Recipients

This year Diabetes Hands Foundation has pledged US$35,000 in Big Blue Test grants, continuing its support for programs aimed at providing lifesaving supplies, medical tests, treatment, and patient education to people living in need who have or at risk Read on! →

Kim Vlasnik: The Patient Voice

Kim Vlasnik, you NAILED it! In this video, Kim Vlasnik takes our breath away as she describes what its like to be a person with diabetes. Fortunately, Stanford’s Medicine-X Conference gives ePatients, like Kim, a chance to speak since we carry the Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service