Afluria 2012-2013 Syringe and very high blood sugars after overnight fasting.

I just received this vaccine on Friday and have had extremely high blood sugars. Today I had a fasting blood sugar of 260. Has anyone who was given a flu shot experienced that what I am experiencing. I do have Dawn Phenomenon and my fasting blood sugars range in the 180's which I am not happy about and do everything when eating at night not to have a high in the morning.. I read in the Type 1 forum that some people who received the vaccine had highs as well. Any help would be appreciated

Views: 121

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

A vaccine typically works by triggering your body's immune system to fight the infection. You can read more about the vaccine in the prescribing information. The flu vaccine uses a inactivated form of the flu virus, but it can still make you sick. Up to 25% of people taking the vaccine will suffer some sort of sick feeling; headache, stomach ache or even fever. So, it is natural to have higher blood sugars and need to do corrections, just like being sick.

A blood sugar in the high 200s is of concern. If your blood sugar does not start to come down soon, you should probably see your doctor. Since you are only on oral medication, your basic options to lower your blood sugar are really to stop eating and exercise, but when your blood sugar is over 250 mg/dl, even exercise can become problematic. And it would not be inappropriate to ask your doctor for a sample of a basal insulin to help you get your fasting blood sugars normalized (above and beyond your current situation).

Thank you Brian for responding to my post so quickly. You have put me at ease. Just knowing that the blood sugars are high because of the vaccine gives me hope that this too will pass. I take Janumet and Glimpiride and took both around 7:30 am. My blood sugar is now at 135. The meds do work. Had it stayed in the high 200's I would have called my doctor. Having Dawn Phenomenon does not help either. I have tried everything, apple cider vinegar tabs, really watching my carbs at dinner time and still have the Dawn Phenomenon. Again, thanks for your quick response to my question.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

An eye opening experience at @CWDiabetes!

Last month, I had one of the most amazing experiences I have had with technology since I have been living with diabetes. It happened at the Focus On Technology conference organized by Children With Diabetes in Los Angeles (the first Read on! →

World Diabetes Day at REALM Charter School

REALM Charter is a middle school full of amazing young people eager to learn about World Diabetes Day. Team DHF spent the day with over 300 students and taught them about the Big Blue Test and what they can do Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service