Afrezza An Ultra Rapid-Acting Insulin / Inhaled Insulin Onset 12 minutes!!!!

I have been on Afrezza now for months. It is an ultra rapid insulin that is inhaled. I been on it now for 4 months and it has changed my life as I have no more worries of nighttime lows or lows throughout the day. When I was on Humolog / Novolog / Humilin my lows were daily. As we know this is a killer among diabetics as 1 in 20 will die from a low blood sugar.

Last year I almost went into coma 2 times and barely got revived the 2nd time. I also have had numerous lows rushing to the fridge on Novolog and Humolog. This all changed 4 months ago. I have been needle free for 4 months other than taking my daily Lantus. I have had 0 severe lows and only a few lows under 70 in 4 months. I have no daily swings over 250 readings anymore.. Why is this? It is because my management with Afrezza is so easy when I can adjust my blood sugar in minutes. Afrezza is about 90% out of my system in 30-40 minutes after taking it. So lets say I eat a late meal at 10pm. I can take my insulin and at 11pm before going to bed if my sugar is good I know its impossible for me to have a low at night. This has freed from all the stress and scares of lows.

Not only has it effected me this way but all my family members have noticed that I never have any emergencies or rushes for sugar..They all are able to sleep well with no worried about me during the night.

So why am I saying all this?

It actually makes me ill knowing that most people do not even know that this is coming and should of been available to all diabetics already. People die every day of low blood sugar. How about kids that have to damage this disease and the parents who are worried sick every night. I am not even sure how they can sleep. The inhaler is the size of my pinky as the pictures shows. I can have it in my pocket wherever I go and take the insulin anytime anywhere. The insulin is in powder form in the little cartridges.

For me controlling diabetes is now in real time as I dont have to wait 1-2 hours for it to start working and lingering on for 4-5 hours. If my blood sugar is 300 and I can adjust to 100 in 25 minutes. It is truly amazing and if anyone is reading this and has experienced lows please free to ask questions.

Update on Afrezza posted by the TuDiabetes Administration

What if you could get insulin without needles?

Tags: afrezza, blood, control, dangers, hypoglycemia, inhaled, insulin, low, of, on, More…patient, sugar

Views: 8486

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

yes thats correct that there are no crashes.

Not every medication is for everyone. As I mentioned my a1c is the 6s from 8s in 4 months. There have been 500 patients on the trials and the dosing is only for the trials which have worked out well. Yes I agree that they should have a 5 unit cart which would equally to 2-3 unit of normal insulin. I have had o severe lows in 4 months so there is no need to feed the insulin. The inhaled insulin mimics the bodies normal response to meals. It does not work like normal insulin. I have had high and lows for years on humolog and novolog and so do my friends. That has ended 4 months ago for myself. Only 30% of type 1s are on a pump so if you are used to the pump and do not experience lows and do not worry about night time lows perhaps this is not for you. . I am a patient who has had life reversing dramatic results and I am here to share my story. This medication might be pointless to you but it wont be for 1000s of others just like the insulin pump was pointless and all big pharma gave up on it accept Alfred Mann....Please review the story of the insulin pump..

From a pre diabetic standpoint we have been trying to learn more about this product but also have questions about dosing. On their website they mention that the dosing will be available in 3, 6, and 9 unit equivalents to 3, 6, and 9 iu of humalog. They mention that a 12 unit single dose will likely be available in the near future as well. They also have a chart that shows insulin reaches half a peak after dose of 15 minutes with the dose 75% out of your system in 2 hours. They are indicating on the same chart that the equivalent dose of humalog takes 60 minutes and 5 hours to reach the same levels of insulin.

Am i missing something here? Can anyone with real world experience with humalong quickpen or novalog flexpen confirm these time frames and does it even matter if a person is on basel.

How much insulin did you use before starting the trial? (TDD)

Afrezza was all but approved...but one of the researchers got caught in a insider trading scheme and a hedge fund manager caused a dispute by sending a letter to the FDA about the inhaler and shorted shares of stock. After the researcher went to prison no one at the FDA will have anything to do with approving Afrezza....it may be years before it happens. If anything happens after the approval someone at the FDA will have to fall on their own sword.

That person at the FDA went to jail for 20 years this year. I am a 230 lb guy and very fit. I used to use about 10-15 units of Novolog or Humolog per meal.

Now I use about 70 to 90 units of Afrezza per day. Keep in mind it is not comparing apples to apples.

It will be early 2014 before it it comes before the fda again. This is estimated by Mannkind. The last trial patient will make their last follow visit in May and they have to get the data ready and reapply in July/AUG/Sept of next year. FDA takes 6 months to reveiw. The FDA HAS been working very closely with the company on designing the current trials..In fact the FDA asked for trials on type 2 as well. This is what the FDA ASKED FOR NOT THE COMPANY. So we shall see what happens.

I can tell you this Afrezza works better than ever imagined. I never expected to be doing se well with managing diabetes. I have lowered my A1C into the 6s in a few months.

Yes, it would make sense to test it on type 2's.

I do find it interesting as JohnG whose posts are always very level headed said that the researcher at Afrezza went to prison, and then "Afrezza User" translated that to "the person at the FDA went to jail". Maybe Spock is right. Whenever someone ignores evidence, and questions and goes on happily praising something it's either spam or the D version of a cult.

Not a researcher at Afrezza. A researcher at the FDA who was convicted of insider trading of over 20 companies. JohnG never said a researcher at Afrezza. The FDA asked for another trial. The FDA wants to have nothing to do with it. Please tell me why they asked for the trial to expend to type diabetics from type 1s and to children as young as 4 years old. I did not translate anything as....you posted. Yes I am praising it because I am on it and have lowered my A1Cs to almost a non diabetic levels... I think that speaks for itself. Here is the link for you so you can get up to date info on this http://www.forbes.com/sites/billsinger/2011/12/01/updateformer-fda-...

Ah, I did misunderstand John's post, so I apologize about that.

No problem Zoe...I am here to share my experience and I know it might help others as well. I am in a occult..I am part of a trial under a very well respected Doc in the USA.

Now days it takes sometimes 3 runs to the FDA to get things approved. In fact there are many other diabetic treatments and devices that crawl under the FDA guidelines. We are all hurt by the gridlock of the FDA. Its a story that is way more complicated than someone making a off the cuff remark that the FDA wants nothing to do with it.

TChang Yi Liang, a chemist at the FDA with access to the FDA intranet, noted the imminent approval and purchased 18,000 shares of MannKind at $8.41 per share. It has been learned that Mr. Liang had a history of improperly using confidential FDA information for personal gain.

The FDA responded buy asking for two more study's...;-(

Until they come out with a long acting inhaled insulin I will stay on my pump. Once you have control over your blood sugars ranges like can be done with an insulin pump and grants me to eat whatever I feel like without problems, then I will stay with my pump. Especially since I would need a long acting as well as the inhaled insulin. I have very few lows. Maybe one every few months.

Not every product is for everyone. Do you know who invented the insulin pump? Alfred Mann...Alfred Mann took that money and put it into Mannkinds Afrezza. The product that you love so much is the same inventor of Afrezza.

I have a friend who is on the pump and she has lows all the time. If you have an A1Cs in the 6s and only have a few lows every few months that is remarkable as my lows used to be daily. It only takes one low to kill you so I had enough. Off course a low is under 70 reading but I am talking about sever lows.

So let me ask you this. If you have a late mean around 9-10pm or your blood sugar is high you do not worry about humolog or novolog causing a low at 2 am or so or do you leave your sugars higher? What I like about Afrezza is that I can inhale the insulin as I start eating and by the time I am done eating the insulin has done its magic. The onset is the same as the normal response of a pancrease. Now I have fasting sugars normally around 90-130 as a diabetic without ever going low. I still take one shot of Lantus per day but the combo of Lantus and Afrezza is the perfect for me. I would guess most people on the pump register under 50 and over 250 on a normal basis so you would be doing really well if you have such as good control. What was your last A1C if I may ask?

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Diabetes Among Hispanics: We’re not all the same

US Hispanics are often portrayed in the press as a single, monolithic group. But anyone who has spent any time in San Francisco’s Mission District or the Bronx can tell you, we’re not all the same. Now we’re finding out Read on! →

Diabetes entre los hispanos: no somos todos iguales

Traducido por Mila Ferrer.    A menudo los Hispanos en Estados Unidos son retratados en la prensa como un solo grupo, monolítico. Pero cualquiera que haya pasado algún tiempo en el  Mission District de San Francisco o el Bronx se Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service