Has anyone had any problems when going through airport security, while traveling? I had a bad experience my last time flying a few weeks ago and I'm wondering if anyone has any advice to make the security check not such a big deal. Sometimes I chose to wear my pump in my bra to wear dresses or thigh area and just wondering will I have to take my pump out for them to check it again?

Views: 2467

Replies to This Discussion

Scotty, I certainly would go off for a few minutes but I have a metronic pump and t was told that it should NOT go through with the bags - were you told differently? Curious..
I've never actually asked, but its seems logical to me and i've never had a problem doing that, and i have medtronic too, I will ask my doctor next time I see him though, would you no exactly why this would be?
Medtronic advised NOT to put your pump on the xray belt with the bags.
I have been checked every time I wear my pump through security with full blown pat downs, so now I take it off and pass it through with my bags. I have a Metronic pump and so far it hasn't been harmed.
If the pump doesn't go through Xray then it is supposed to be swabbed and tested thats the official procedure. Now of course its up to the individual officer because all they are trying to do is confirm that the device and the liquid inside is not explosive or of course drugs. I personally don't put my mine through because just about every other medical device including the pump recommends not be subjected to radiation (even low levels like xrays). It's all on how fast you want to get thtough the screening.
I've flown 2 times since starting on insulin, none yet since being on the pump. I wouldn't mind disconnecting and sending my pump through the x-ray but is there definitive evidence that insulin and test strips are ok going through the x-ray? I just asked them to visually inspect my junk - no swabbing, no pat down.
I have never had a negative experience when flying. I always tell the airport security that I am carrying my pump supplies in my carry-on luggage. I have never even been asked to show my pump. And I have a letter from my Dr's office stating that I have Type I diabetes and that I need to keep my supplies with me. Hope this helps. Between what cities were you flying? I was flying between Nashville and Tampa.
I have issues with TSA and my pump. When I first started wearing it, I had problems because no one knew what it was. Then, they started being trained to recognize the pump, and I'd have experiences like most of you are mentioning here: I'd tell the agent about it, they'd swab my hands and the pump, and I'd be on my way. However, in the past two years, I keep getting a full pat-down AND a search of EVERYTHING I have with me. I mean, they tear apart my carry-on bags and lay all contents out on the table, and won't let me touch them to replace them in my bags. I have a HUGE issue with that. I really don't mind the pat-down, but I dislike that they un-pack everything and then give me attitude when I ask that they pack it as I had done previously. Besides all my diabetes equipment, I'm usually traveling with a lot of camera gear in my carry-on that I would prefer NO ONE touched.

I get around it by just putting the pump out of the agents' view as I'm passing through security. Usually, I'll put it in my bra and walk through the metal detector without a problem. The last time I traveled, I forgot to tuck it away and got the full search again. I was searched like that in San Diego, San Antonio, Washington DC, Miami, and Honolulu.
My last journey out of Dubai to UK the security guy wanted me to take it off and put it through the X-Ray and I refused. have had the pump swabbed twice at Heathrow before.
what is TSA? thousands standing around. i use the trains. less stress. even use my CPAP machine on board with no problems.
I just read this on the Medtronic Airport Card that you can download - Medtronic has conducted official testing on the
effects of the full body scanners at airports with Medtronic medical devices. Some of the new scanners may include x-ray. To avoid
removing your devices, you may request an alternative screening process. If you choose to go through a full body scanner, you must
remove your insulin pump and CGM (sensor and transmitter). Do not send your devices through the x-ray machine as an alternative.
I suppose I can understand removing the pump, since malfunctions could cause serious health problems (particularly when heading aboard a flight where medical resources are scarce), but I wonder why the CGM - in particular the sensor? It's not like you can re-attach it once you're through security...

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

DHF Partners with HelpAround in an Effort to Connect People Touched by Diabetes

Leer en español Technology has the amazing ability to ease the stress associated with diabetes; It simply makes our lives a little more bearable. That’s why we are excited to announce DHFs partnership with HelpAround. This new application will help Read on! →

La Diabetes Hands Foundation y HelpAround uniendo las personas tocadas por la diabetes

Para nuestra comunidad de diabetes la tecnología ha venido a llenar muchos vacíos y a hacer de nuestras vidas un poco mas llevaderas. Eso mismo nos proporciona una nueva aplicación de geo-localización llamada HelpAround (Ayuda a tu alrededor). HA Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service