My son is type 1 and has been on the Animas Ping since April. We just flew last week. The pump cannot go through the x-ray machine, so my son wore it through the metal detector which, of course, detected the pump. That triggered a pat-down. Going home, we told the TSA agent what the pump was with the intent of avoiding another pat down. That did not work either. He still had to walk through the metal detector. It still went off and he still got the pat-down treatment.

I'm all for airport security, but I'd like to find a way to avoid the pat-down every time my son flies. Does anyone out there have a suggestion? Is there a type 1 TSA agent out there that can help?

Views: 542

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

its kinda stupid that you explained the pump and everything and they didnt listen...what if you showed them a note from an endo or your sons medic alert? (if he wears a medic alert) and are we allowed to take off our pumps when we go through metal detectors?
hope you figure this out!
b
Be sure to remove any belt clip or pump case with metal.

I also got a recommendation to have the pump near the center of the body. It is (supposedly) less likely to set off the alarm there. So I usually show them my pump, then tuck it into my pants either in the back near the spine or in front of my belly button.

But I have also gotten a pat down even when I didn't set the metal detector off. I usually travel with my infusion set on my abdomen so that I can show it to them. It usually speeds up the process because they feel sad when they see a tube going into me :)

My Cosmo never set the alarm off. My Minimed sometimes does. So I guess it does vary from pump to pump.

I was also told that the pump should not go through the x-ray.
Going through the x-ray machine can erase the memory and programing on your pump. It is not worth taking a chance.

I wore my cell phone too close to my pump and that messed it up. I had to get a new pump.
Here are the TSA guidelines:
http://tudiabetes.com/forum/topics/tsa-travel-guidelines-for

When I go through airport security, which is around 2 times each week, I do a small bolus, remove my pump, put it in a large zip-lock bag along with the tubing, and ask for a hand inspection/screening of the pump. I also keep a printed copy of the TSA guidelines with me. This has only been rejected one time, and that was by a brand new TSA employee. I did not have the printed guidelines with me that time. I always do now.
Tim, great idea to bring the guidelines. I'll try it on my next trip.Every single time I've flown out of Newark I get the total pat-down.
I use a minimed the only problem I have ever had was flying to the UK via Bangkok. At Bangkok I got off the plane to walk around the airport and stretch my legs, while the plane was refuelling. But when it came to reboard the guy checking everyone on insisted that I detach my pump and let it go though the x-ray machine when I said I would not take it off in case he, the machine or the person at the other end mishandled it and broke it, he became very angry. It was only after a fellow passenger and his supervisor supported me did he let me go through to the plane. His supervisor did say pumps are still not that well known about and in future I should tell them and carry it in my hand. I fully support airport security but don’t understand why they don’t teach the security personal about things like insulin pumps.

I have flow many times since and now always say I have an insulin pump and carry it through security checks.
I had to fly to San Diego last August and I had no problems going through security at Sacramento's airport. When I got to the gate, I took my pump out of my pocket, held it in my hand along with all my pump supplies and insulin in a Ziploc baggie and went right through. I even unzipped and opened my meter case and sent it through the x-ray machine. Since there were hardly anyone in line behind me, one of the guards did ask to see the meter and sent it through the machine a couple of times to have his follow officers learn what they look like and how to identify them for future reference. I thought it was kind of neat to be a part of a training exercise for them. They also examined my pump and supplies so that they would also be aware of what to look for in the future. I did have a note from my doctor to explain what the pump was, just in case and I also wore my biggest medical ID bracelet. Fortunately, I didn't have anything that set the metal detector off, so it was breeze to go through. I don't really think there's anything you can do to get around having a pat down if you set the detectors off going through. I know it's a bit of a pain, but now that you know it's going to happen, it's something that you can plan for and expect. They're just doing what they can to make sure that eveyone is safe. I always make sure that I"m at least two and half to three hours early just to ensure that I have time to go through security should there be an issue with my pump. I also find too that if you stay calm, smile and are friendly and very cooperative about the security check, they tend to cut you a bit more slack and will do what they can to make sure you get through the checkpoint as easily as possible. Remember, you will catch more flies with honey than you will with vinegar.
I've flown from Hartford CT to Tampa FL (in February) and from New York to San Diego, CA (in May) and am planning on doing New York to FL in August. I had no issues with going through the medical detectors in any of the airports.

There is a medical detector for "normal" people, but there is a separate line that people with "medical" issues need to go through. Which means that, yes, I have to separate from my fiance when going through the security check points so that I can go through the medical metal detector.

The medical metal detector has many sensors and takes about a minute to scan your whole body. Then, it'll do a sudden burst of air (not painful) and if the light is green, you're good to go!

I don't know if they have these at every airport, but in the four that I've been in the past six months, I've had no issues.
:)
they do not have medical lines at every airport. i flew threw orlando last week and they didn't have one (you would think with so many people from everywhere going through...)
even in the medical lines i've still had the pat down after the metal detector because they did not have the second machine that blows air.

and you shouldn't have to separate from your fiance! my entire family (5 people) one time and my bf another time went through the medical lines with me so we didn't have to separate.
hmmm... i'll see if he can go through with me in August. It would be way more fun if he could! haha.
My son was patted down once. Since then we take it off, and it goes through with our carry-ons. We've flown often in the past 4 years that we've had it and the x-ray does not damage it.
I always just took mine off and stuck it in the plastic case to go through x-ray. Generally, it didn't take that long to be reunited, so I didn't even bother to correct for it. It never caused any problems; I don't think anyone ever even asked any questions.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

An eye opening experience at @CWDiabetes!

Last month, I had one of the most amazing experiences I have had with technology since I have been living with diabetes. It happened at the Focus On Technology conference organized by Children With Diabetes in Los Angeles (the first Read on! →

World Diabetes Day at REALM Charter School

REALM Charter is a middle school full of amazing young people eager to learn about World Diabetes Day. Team DHF spent the day with over 300 students and taught them about the Big Blue Test and what they can do Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service