So, I just got my A1c back from my new endo and it was 7.1. My average bg for the past 3 months has been 126 with the majority of those numbers within 70-140. The past month's average has been 120. I test 15 or more times a day and am pretty aware of where my blood sugars are at all day long. Actually, my average has probably been thrown off a bit because I test a LOT if my bg is high. According to a few of the online bg to A1c converters I have found online, my A1c should have been around 6.0.

Also, in October I did a home test and it was 6.7, but even that didn't seem all that accurate because my average was around 120. A fructosamine test in November, which was done after a period of three weeks where my bg was generally a bit higher, matched up with an A1c of about 6.7 according to the calculations my endo did. I wonder what my A1c would have been if she checked that at the same time?

Anyways, my A1c just doesn't make sense, and I've seemed to have this problem for a long time. I've heard others mention that there are different rates of glycation, and I am wondering if I am a high glycator. Does anyone know what exactly would be causing me to be a high glycator and if I am still at higher risk for complications because of my higher A1c despite my generally good control?

Thanks guys. I'm so frustrated right now!

Tags: A1c, diabetes, frustration, glycator

Views: 679

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This has always boggled me to no end. I test upwards of 14x/day and keep very close tabs on my averages. I even test in the middle of the night (often twice). Too often my A1C is higher or lower than I would expect it to be based on my averages. Even my endo has questioned the results before. Sometimes, it's lower than I would expect given what I'm seeing on my meters. Sometimes it's higher.

Pamaloo , the topic appears as frustrating for you as is for me ...the A1C results: last one 7.0 .My averages with my Contour Link 6.0 ( x18 ) I started using the One Touch VerioIQ , after I had my last lab test done . A fasting Lab BG showed 6.9 , my Contour finger poke at the Lab 5.3 ...30 percent variance . I have used the Contour's Control Solution ...meter appears working OK .Verio claims 15 percent variance ...averages 6.3 same period , same number of tests as with Contour meter .My MM pump and CGMS's CareLink show a lower average . What does put my mind at ease is living with D over 29 years , no complications, good BP ,chol results , no kidney, no eye problems , other than the usual aging problems ( 71 plus ).Something more recent has been observed :Potassium is elevated ( ???) and have some blood work done .

In all seriousness if you feel fine why sit and worry about it? I could care less if my A1C was 10 if I felt fine. I've had this devil for nearly 4 decades with many years of extremely high BS and don't have any complications. If people are going to get themselves sick over the numbers their wasting their energy IMO. For me the whole nightmare is I've documented any glucose reading above 95 I feel awful. I am going to investigate whether I have some additional endocrine problems though its pretty consistent to note every sugar I take over 95 I feel horrible. I could be 95 and eat even something like a few peanuts and within 30 seconds I'll feel the spike and become physically irritable almost immediately if I don't take an injection. Between 80 and 95 I am generally fine. Less then 80 I start to feel a little to low but I handle the lows far better then the highs. I'd rather be 50 then 110. FWIW you look like a real cutie. Sorry you have deal with this monster.

You say you test 15 times per day, do you wake up in the middle of the night and test? For several years I would get liver dumps at wierd times of the day which affected my HbA1c's. Now I have finally lowered my HbA1c to the low 5's by lowering the range of my bgs. I don't like to go over 120 ever.

Gary today I had a 200 and felt like a lead balloon totally wiped out.

Anthony,

It F*****G blows doesn't it! My best sugar days are going from 80-100 back to 50. Anyone that doesn't feel like total hell from the highs really has it made in the diabetes world IMO. My dad could run 300 and he feels absolutely fine. I really wish someone can explain how that is possible.

I've been a Type 1 for 37 years and I just know that I really don't give my A1C much consideration b/c I'm NOT a number. If I feel ok than that's fine with both me & my dr no matter what the number's game says. I'm sorry that ur so flustrated. Please don't make urself a number it will lead to even more flustration.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

DHF receives $200,000 grant from Novo Nordisk

Grant given to support programs aimed at bringing together people touched by diabetes for positive change BERKELEY, CA: December 4, 2014 – Diabetes Hands Foundation (DHF) has received a grant of US$200,000 from Novo Nordisk to support programs aimed at Read on! →

Guest Post: World Diabetes Day 2014 on Twitter… sifting through the data

At Symplur we track hashtags, keywords, user accounts, and pretty much anything else on Twitter that has to do with healthcare. We collect the data and then build countless ways to slice it up so that we’re able to better Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service