After being PU/PD for months (thirsty all the time and having to run to the restroom the rest of the time).. and losing 23 pounds over the course of 10 months without trying.. some of my friends were concerned about me, and I got concerned too. I kept blaming it on the fact that this is a stressful time in my life as I finish up with veterinary school. I went to student health and had bloodwork run. Lo and behold, a fasting BG of 293 prompted a call the next morning for me to come back in. Too numerous to count ketones in my urine along with glucose and protein prompted a visit to the ER because they thought I would go into DKA. They ran a couple liters of fluids in, set me up with insulin on what I realize now is a pathetic scale to use, and sent me home.

Since then, I've had 3 doctor's visits and am trying to get set up with an endo. On Friday, I received the call that I do have GAD antibodies and so I am type 1. My pancreas is still making a little insulin, but it's on it's way out the door. My A1C was 12.4, which means my average was running around 315. I feel really lucky that I had bloodwork run when I did, and that I didn't have to be hospitalized for DKA.

I'm currently on 8u Lantus at night, and 3 units of Humalog with every meal + 1 unit for every 50mg/dl over 150mg/dl. This is just until I meet with a diabetic educator a week from today. I've already got much better control, I'm waking up between 102 and 140. If I knew how to calculate my insulin to carb ratio, I'd go ahead and try it beforehand. Yesterday, I felt a little ill around 4pm in the afternoon; checked my sugar and it was 82. I realize my body's been running on high so I'm probably just not used to it- but I got scared and took a glucose tablet anyway since I don't know what my 'low' threshold is. Looking back I think I would have been fine. I wound up shooting my sugar up to 160- so I probably didn't handle it the best, but this is a learning experience.

I've been hanging around the diabetes.org forums and someone talked about this website and how much they liked it, so I decided to join too. It's really nice to have people to talk to who have been there before and can give little tips and suggestions that they don't tell you in the doctor's office.

That was a long ramble, and if you made it this far, thanks for reading.

Views: 393

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi palominovet,
I, too, was only diagnosed 7 months ago (at the age of 33) but I'd been having symptoms for 2 years before that. Like you, everyone else thought it was stress from the major changes going on in my life.

There will be a lot to learn in the next few months, and after gaining some tools a lot of that learning will be tailored to you and how your body responds to different conditions. I strongly recommend a Dexcom to help you "see" how things affect your BG and to give you a little rest from worrying about your numbers (you can set alarms).

Your body will still adapt to having lower numbers, depending on how high for how long you were before diagnosis. It took me quite awhile, and I'm still not 100%, but it is getting better.

It does get easier, and the pain lessons. I still have some shock over having T1, but it isn't the first thing I think of when I wake up (the anxiety about it, that is).

Virtual hugs to you

Thank you :) I'll ask about a Dexcom tomorrow at my appointment and see how that goes.

I just want a cookie, dang it.

Hi vet- I would also suggest going to the site Bloodsugar 101.com. Also there is a book of the same name written by the person who takes care of the site, Jennie Ruhl. She is also a diabetic and offers wonderful info on her site and in the book. In fact, your Mom might also like reading the site/book.

Thanks for the info, I will go check them out :)

Welcome! This is a great place to learn about the ins and outs of diabetes. It's really hard sometimes, but always manageable, especially when you have people to talk to that understand. Good luck!
Katie

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Diabetes Among Hispanics: We’re not all the same

US Hispanics are often portrayed in the press as a single, monolithic group. But anyone who has spent any time in San Francisco’s Mission District or the Bronx can tell you, we’re not all the same. Now we’re finding out Read on! →

Diabetes entre los hispanos: no somos todos iguales

Traducido por Mila Ferrer.    A menudo los Hispanos en Estados Unidos son retratados en la prensa como un solo grupo, monolítico. Pero cualquiera que haya pasado algún tiempo en el  Mission District de San Francisco o el Bronx se Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service