Been reading these warnings all day just came out today from the fda.

http://consumerist.com/2012/02/fda-adds-diabetes-memory-loss-warnin...

Views: 549

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Simvastatin and other statins for 13 years. When I was diagnosed my cholesterol was a little high. As a precautionary measure they put me on it and every dr. since has continued it. I have a slew of labs scheduled in 3 months, before my next drs. appointment. If my cholesterol is good I'm going to ask to be taken off and see if that continues.

good thought, i have not be able to figure out why all docs want to keep us on these things. my numbers were just 2 digits away from perfect and he still said no.....

I have been taking simvistatin for over 5 years. About 5 months ago my pcp told me to immediately cut the dose in half, which I did. At that time I'd also begun a very serious exercise program, working out a total of 90 minutes a day. When we re-tested three months after lowering the dose, all my numbers were the "best ever", and the doc said it was mostly from increased activity, because I hadn't changed my diet.
I recently got off dialysis (after being on for 14 months). My treatment plan for keeping the kidneys healthy involved vascular health, and cholesterol management is one of the factors. My kidney doc himself takes simvistatin, as well as my cardiologist, so I am going to try to make an informed decision and for now,, continue with the meds.

The fear of being put on statins kicked me into some simple lifestyle changes: nuts as snacks, fish a few times each week (canned sardines: easy & cheap!), and daily exercise. Got my chol. numbers at good levels in 5 months.
Still my docs suggest statins as a "preventative measure">> something about strengthening the walls of the blood vessesls?? I'm ignoring them for now. And eating sardines.

they tried to put me on them after ONE weird blood pressure reading (something like 140/70) claiming that ALL diabetics use them to prevent damage.

My mom said "not gonna happen" and i never filled out the prescription

They have been proven, in multiple studies, to reduce the incidence of coronary heart disease events in both diabetic and non-diabetic patients, with the reduction in CHD events directly correlated to the degree of cholesterol reduction.

The above figure is from the following review article which cites the relevant studies.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/496432_6

Of course, everyone must make their own decisions about the risk reward ratios of a particular drug, but it astonishes me that people say the benefit is not proven , when
it has been proven in multiple studies. The same people that are so careful about reducing the risk of complications should realize that CHD IS a diabetic complication and their is additional risk reduction avialable through lipid control (either natural or artificial).

Very interesting to say the least, thanks for the info..

As HPNPilot states, statins have been proven to reduce the risk of coronary deaths in multiple studies. Without reading the original article, you are going on a newspaper interpretation. The senior author, Dr JoAnn E. Manson, recommends simply be aware that if a person is not a diabetic, they should watch for symptoms of diabetes. She does not recommend stopping statins.
Diabetes is just not a well understood disease. One part of theb diabetes process is that it is involved in increased risk of CHD. In fact, CHD, is most likely the biggest killer of diabetics.

In 2004, heart disease noted on death certificates on 68% of diabetic patients aged 65 and older

Adults with diabetes have heart disease death rates about 2 to 4 times higher than adults without diabetes.

The risk for stroke is 2 to 4 times higher among people with diabetes
In 2004, heart disease was noted on 68% of diabetes-related death certificates among people aged 65 years or older.

I posted this the other day, not a newspaper interpretation. no one is suggesting that anyone stop taking statins, just be aware and question your doctor about it..

Here is another

While there have been some moderate demonstrations of improvements in CVD deaths, the mortality statistics are not very convincing. What I have always found shocking is that the data that I saw suggested that the CVD risks were double with a HbA1c of 6% (over a normal HbA1c) independent of cholesterol, suggesting that high blood sugars are in fact a much more significant CVD risk than cholesterol. Despite this, we treat diabetes patients for their CVD risk with statins, rather than lowering their blood sugar.

Personally, I had side effects with statins, there is no way I would ever take another statin. It turns out, my cholesterol abnormalities were significantly improved with improved blood sugar control (surprise).

Sometimes we need to think outside the box, as in let's treat HIGH BLOOD SUGAR, first then revisit the other symptoms and so on. keep improving your health.

"Be informed, educated and pro active in your healthcare"

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Diabetes Among Hispanics: We’re not all the same

US Hispanics are often portrayed in the press as a single, monolithic group. But anyone who has spent any time in San Francisco’s Mission District or the Bronx can tell you, we’re not all the same. Now we’re finding out Read on! →

Diabetes entre los hispanos: no somos todos iguales

Traducido por Mila Ferrer.    A menudo los Hispanos en Estados Unidos son retratados en la prensa como un solo grupo, monolítico. Pero cualquiera que haya pasado algún tiempo en el  Mission District de San Francisco o el Bronx se Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service