Been reading these warnings all day just came out today from the fda.

http://consumerist.com/2012/02/fda-adds-diabetes-memory-loss-warnin...

Views: 558

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

High blood sugar is the clear and present danger and needs to be confronted. Instead we get "An A1C of 7 is fine, you're doing good" and oh by the way take these statins to deal with the heart disease risk caused by the high blood sugar.

I take Statins daily. I take them because they work, at least they work for me.

My cholesterol was extremely high after a stroke. While recovering from the stroke it was discovered that I had coronary artery disease, and needed heart bypass. During pre-surgical testing, it was determined that I had a hole in a heart valve and that needed repair as well. Post surgery, I was put on a Statin and my cholesterol has come down considerably.

My diabetes is controlled. I am not going to stop taking statins.

Brian, glad to hear you are doing better, don't get me wrong I am not trying to get anyone to stop taking them, just be educated about what you take. I am taking other meds with the goal of getting off all of them If I can. Good Luck and hope you continue to improve...

I agree Brian. My husband has coronary artery disease on both sides of his family and his cholesterol was high. He takes a statin. It is interesting that he had an angioplasty last year and now has another blocked artery despite the statin.

Four years ago I refused to take statins and blood pressure pills just because I have T2. My cholesterol levels have always been normal and my blood pressure has always been too low. I have no family history of coronary artery disease and lots of T2s on one side.

I think we all have to weigh the risks and benefits of the medications that are prescribed. Like Starfire I'm glad that you are doing well Brian. Cheers! :) Joanne

It is amazing that you are responding to my comment today. Nine years ago today, I was in the operation room receiving five bypass arteries and having a valve repaired in my heart. Today, I haven't felt this good in a very long time. I took my Statin today. I will take it tomorrow as well. CAD runs in both sides of my family, as does diabetes run rampant in one side. Let's see, I had a lot of drugs today, and a little bit if insulin too! :)

Happy Anniversary!! Good to hear that you are doing so well.

I wish they had these warnings 3 years ago when I started to take statins. I didn't have a bad reaction until about a year after I started to take them. I had muscle wasting, memory loss, balance problems and way too low BP. I had joint pain in places I didn't know I had joints. I felt like I aged 30 years in a few months. I was becoming disabled very quickly. I took myself off of them and within a few months most of my symptoms were gone. My bgs came back to normal and very slowly my muscles are rebuilding. When you think about how many older people are on statins and have joint and muscle and memory problems, it makes you wonder. The research on Statins is very sketchy and I am glad they are finally taking a look at it. Big Pharma created a problem and then of course developed an expensive drug to fix it. It is amazing after 30 years of statins heart disease has not gone down.

Wow!! sorry to hear your health paid for their mistakes, hope you are doing better without them. of course i am a believer that is person is a case by case challenge and should be acted on as such.

since i stopped taking them, seems like i am getting better sleep..the statin news is getting bigger and more tv exposure. that is a good thing. take care

No, never, ever, ever!!!

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Meet The 2014 Big Blue Test Grant Recipients

This year Diabetes Hands Foundation has pledged US$35,000 in Big Blue Test grants, continuing its support for programs aimed at providing lifesaving supplies, medical tests, treatment, and patient education to people living in need who have or at risk Read on! →

Kim Vlasnik: The Patient Voice

Kim Vlasnik, you NAILED it! In this video, Kim Vlasnik takes our breath away as she describes what its like to be a person with diabetes. Fortunately, Stanford’s Medicine-X Conference gives ePatients, like Kim, a chance to speak since we carry the Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service