So I am curious - many people are interested in seeing what the artificial pancreas can do, but are you ready to trust it with your well-being?

I wrote a short post about it on the JDCA blog:

http://jdca2025.wordpress.com/2011/11/29/the-artifical-pancreas-are...

But I wanted to get people's opinions on here as well. How do you feel about the AP, and to what degree are you ready to trust it?

Tags: 1, community, cure, diabetes, donors, research, type

Views: 1347

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Given that the APwill not use the current CGM technology, will not use current insulin, will use a tried and proven algorithm, and will be dependent on the user to setup and train the algorithm, I have no hesitancy usung the AP as it is being used in clinical testing and as a released product. The real challenge will be the FDA in approving the tech that will support the AP.

Currently there are several T1D medical devices being used w/o issue for >2yrs that are saving lives by shutting of with lows and providing FAR greater CGM (next generation) accuracy to greatly improve control & life quality. My beef is with the arrogance of the FDA to treat T1D medical product like pharma products. The reality is that if a T1D product is designed w/ minimal user interface complexity (not like those that have caused many of the pump gone amuck incidents reported to the FDA) the device will provide minimum risk and if it does not work it will be immediately apparent (and not get approval).

Focus complaints at the FDA for not providing a guide to manufacture so that we can have current CGM sensors and pum software!!!!

Even the guidance doc for the AP are incomplete event thought the hearings started in Nov. 2010...over a year?

The AP suffers from 3 major stumbling blocks: 1) inaccuracy of CGM 2) time delay of CGM 3) time delay of the injected insulins. Time delay is a demolisher of the performance of closed loop systems.

These are not major issues w/current clinical work.

Several of the AP systems in clinical test at the moment and in the near future are using the next gen of CGMs which DO NOT work like the current versions of sensors and respond in .5 or less the time with blood to interstitial readings, and are o will be using ultra fast insulin (5 min start, 60 min. done) which is what several of the AP algorithms are based on.

The stumbling block is the FDA not the AP or the AP technology.
Currently, outside of the US, multiple clinical studies have patients wearing closed loop system at home w/o medical personnel right next to them or in the other room...successfully.

There's an interesting blog @ sixuntilme from Abby, who did a trial recently. Apparently if you puke you are "out" of the trial which makes me think there may be other stumbling blocks besides FDA approval. She also mentions that there's a ton of equipment involved which makes me think that co$t may also become a barrier? If I can get ok control for what I'm spending now (also a ton of money, even with insurance...) why would I spend more to have the new gizmo, particilularly since BCBS will likely adopt a similar stance?

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

DHF Partners with HelpAround in an Effort to Connect People Touched by Diabetes

Leer en español Technology has the amazing ability to ease the stress associated with diabetes; It simply makes our lives a little more bearable. That’s why we are excited to announce DHFs partnership with HelpAround. This new application will help Read on! →

La Diabetes Hands Foundation y HelpAround uniendo las personas tocadas por la diabetes

Para nuestra comunidad de diabetes la tecnología ha venido a llenar muchos vacíos y a hacer de nuestras vidas un poco mas llevaderas. Eso mismo nos proporciona una nueva aplicación de geo-localización llamada HelpAround (Ayuda a tu alrededor). HA Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service