Are sugar free diabetic snacks good when our Blood Glucose is high.

I bought these snacks at the pharmacy or drug store as they say in america :)

Glucerna Bars and Russel Stover chocolat snacks that contain no sugar.
But they do contain Carbs.

So is it worth eating them if our BG is high and we are hungry?

Views: 717

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My overnight basal's are just CRAZY. I woke up around 147 AM and felt a little low...and was 51, had like 5 of those little jelly belly size jelly beans, and woke up this morning 200 something. I'm trying to tweak but I either run high or run low depending on which way I go. I wish I could make my pump settings even less that .25 increments. Oh well lol. Life is def much better ON the pump.

AW! Big Pharmas NEED their PROFITS!
When BG is HIGH, I take insulin and bring it DOWN so it will land at 100.
THEN, I can eat.
BUT I SURE wouldn't eat THAT.
There's so many unprocessed, fresh foods that can give me carbs when I want them.
NO, is my simple answer. The precedent was only my thinking. I have had a lot of years of anger about what society lets companies get away with advertising. And notice that no one advertises that it's CARBS we are needing to take insulin for, not just sugar.

Interesting posts, thanks for answering.
Now my other question is, if a snack has 30g of carbs and 10g of sugar in it, do you need to bolus like it was a 40g of carbs or do you just ignore the sugar?

Are we allowed to have foods with low sugar in them or do we have to avoid sugar at all cost?

I know that we need a certain amount of sugar for our brain to function properly.
Is starving our body from sugar completely a dangerous thing to do?

Bolus for the total amount of carbs, which in the case you're stating is 30 carbs.

Our brains & bodies need glucose, not sugar. If you never ate sugar, you wouldn't be starved:) Carbs are quickly converted into glucose. About 58% of protein is also converted to glucose (gluconeogenesis) at a slower rate & a small percentage of fat is also converted to glucose.

Gerri said this as well, but just to clarify, when the label says 30g of carbs and it lists 10g of sugar, what it's saying is that 10g of the listed 30g are sugar. It's not 10g of sugar in addition to the 30g of carbs.

Further to that, you can subtract the fibre content. If I eat a package of oatmeal with 33 grams of carbs, I can subtract the 4 grams of fibre, so it's only 29 carbs.

I wouldn't eat any type of carb when im high. drink water and get your blood sugar down first

I wish i could just drink water, but i get so hungry sometimes i have to eat.

I always had a big appetite, it's not easy after 39 years of eating like a bear and now i have to eat like a rabbit.

But i tried the almonds and cheese snack and it works, satisfies my hunger for a few minutes...

I need to find filling snacks.

thanks for the tip Felicia.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

#OpposeAB1893: California Bill that Burdens People with Diabetes on Insulin

A couple of days ago I learned that the California State Assembly is considering AB-1893 Sharps waste, which in (if approved) will mandate that: “Sharps sold to the general public in California shall be sold with a sharps waste container Read on! →

FDA Docket Extended! We Need You.

If you are new to diabetes advocacy in the traditional sense of the word, you may be thinking, “What the heck is a docket!?” I certainly was the first twenty times I heard it (yes it took that long). For Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Heather Gabel
(Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator
Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators
Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service