Karri at Sixuntilme has done it. She uses the longer tubing, and just has the tubing tucked under her bra, then clips the pump at her waist. You may need to clip it to your bra. She has posted pictures on her blog. You might have to teach someone else to put it on for you?
Alison - I know I want to try my arms one day - with the assistance of my hubby of course! I'm planning on going with the 43" tubing - tho' not sure if it comes with the 90 degree automated infusion set he would be putting on me. I will not let him touch me with a ten foot pole inserting a 45 degree infusion set into me. I think I would pass out, as I did the first few times I put one in!
Keep us up to date on how it goes! I'm personally still using my legs (have been since July). Like to try to give my body a full run with infusion sites - so far - after 2 years - no probs yet with scarring - but then prior to pumping - was injecting 8-12 times a day. I am a walking/living pin cushion!!!
Anna from Montreal - The Trials and Tribulations of a Diabetic
I use my arm ( left only and am right handed ...also do not use right arm , because of lymphodema ) with 23 inch ...use the Sure-T's ...yes it does get a bit ickey and then it becomes time to move to other parts of bod. I had very good results , while I did my 1/2 marathon on Sunday with using my arm ...almost too good, so that I had to use a temp bolus of 25 percent after about about 3 plus hours of 45 percent and sensor showed , that I was going low( er ) .. .Guess what ...this " work " slowed me down a bit ;-( , ha, ha ....another story .
I put the area , where one disconnects towards my left side of body ( my left boob ) . I clip my pump on my waistline of : skirt, jeans, pants ...yes I would prefer longer tubing ...but it is manageble ( sp ?) for me. Hope I made it clear ...if not, am willing to try to post a picture
I once used 23-in tubing on my CozMore and found that "leash" to be way too short. I found the 31-in tube to be much more flexible. You could probably use some sort of armband to hold the pump, or some sort of bra setup. Otherwise, I would guess a 23-in tube would be too short to be comfortable if your pump is holstered on your belt or pocket. But that's just my WAG (wild ass guess). I used my abdomen 95% of the time and my legs the other 5% when I had my CozMore.
I believe most suppliers are more than happy to send you various samples of their products for you to test out. All it takes is a polite request and the hint of endless reorders...
I just did an arm site with 23 inch tubing a couple of weeks ago. I kept the pump around my waist as usual and I did find that when I stretched my arm out to reach for things, it pulled. Maybe if I had it just an inch or two closer to my armpit I would have been fine. I think I put it too far down anyway because when I moved the site peaked out of my short sleeve shirts :) Oops! It's hard doing it by yourself! I also noticed that I felt the tubing tickling my side a lot. I didn't care for that at all. And somehow when taking my bra off at night I managed to end up in a tangled mess lol Good luck!
Thanks for all the feedback guys. I did a check of the length to see how it would be if I had the pump clipped to my waist and it would probably work....if I never raised my arm lol. I still may try it though because I'm very curious about how the absorption would be..So we'll see. I appreciate all of the tips and hearing about your experiences!
So I got some guts today and as it turns out I totally overestimated the length of my arm. I inserted it on the back of my left arm a few inches below my shoulder with the Quick-Serter and am able to move my arm around perfectly fine with the pump still clipped to my belt. Surprisingly it hurt less inserting it in my arm than a lot of the other typical site locations, so that was unexpected. Hopefully the absorption will be equally as good. :)
We’ve partnered with Novo Nordisk to ask, “Do You Know Diabetes?“ When you take this 2 minute quiz about the importance of getting screened for diabetes, Novo Nordisk will make a donation to Diabetes Hands Foundation programs like TuDiabetes and Diabetes Advocates. Initiatives Read on! →
It is with both happiness and sorrow that I announce that there will be an opening at the Diabetes Hands Foundation for the position of Administrative and Programs Assistant beginning mid-April. I will be leaving the Bay Area, where the Read on! →