I've been diabetic for over ten years now and have had a pump for almost 10. But there's one thing that I haven't quite figured out, and that gets me all worried.

A day at the beach. I would so love to enjoy it but I am always stressing about sand, too hot sunshine, too much water, people staring at my set on my abdomen.

Am I worried too much? What do you all do with swimwear, suncream, swimming, tanning, etc?
I would just love to wear a bikini without worrying about people seeing my set, lie in the hot sun and not worry about absorption, and just chill out.

Tags: Beach

Views: 68

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I spent a week at St. Augustine Beach in Florida while on my Cozmore pump and all i did was check my BG, bolus and hour's worth of basal, disconnect, swam, played, etc for about an hour. Got out checked again, if I needed insulin I connected the pump and pumped what I needed plus an hour's worth of basal, disconnected and got back in. Sometimes I ran it a couple of hours but with the exercise I didn't really need some of the basal/entered via bolus.

Now that I am on the Omnipod I will have to rethink a bit. I think I will just try swimming with a pod on and see what happens.

I'm an old guy and not interested in the appearance much but I would suggest if you are put the infusion site somewhere under you bathing suit so it will be hidden.
Omnipod. Wear the pod on your buttock under your suit and no one knows. Its waterproof and comfy.
We have spent countless hours at the beach, pool, lake and water parks. My son disconnects while going in the water. When we were swimming with dolphins and snorkeling, I make him take a container of the glucose liquid (15 carbs) in case he went low. His site usually falls off so I use skin tac and tegaderm with a cut out and this seems to hold it in place well.
Be sure to take twice the supplies you think you need.
You would be surprised at how many people are wearing insulin pumps at disney, the beach... etc.. I think you will be in good company.
Enjoy the beach. Nancy
When I go to the beach I could care less if someone sees my set, I'm not ashamed of being diabetic. I'm not saying I like the staring but I don't let it get to me. When I go I eat something before because I drop from 200 to 50 within 15 minutes in the water. I take a water proof box to keep my pump in and stick it into a cooler or a bag so the insulin stays cool. I put a clogger in the set and make sure to check if I feel a bit off just to make sure I'm okay.
I just pictured myself with awesome sun tan lines from my pump and set! haha Maybe that should be the worry ;)
As a somewhat overweight male, I'm not as worried about people staring as I am about the insulin going bad in the heat. That being said, for my vacation to cancun next week I ordered a frio wallet for the pump.

I also am going to stop wearing my dexcom for the week (I guess the sensor/transmitter won't like scuba diving). I also moved my infusion site to my upper buttocks to avoid tan lines

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

DHFs Newest Board Member: Andreas Stuhr

We are pleased to announce our newest board member Dr. Andreas Stuhr, Senior Medical director in Medical Diabetes for Sanofi North America. Dr. Stuhr has a phenomenal background in diabetes care including a medical focus in pediatric endocrinology and Read on! →

Diabetes Among Hispanics: We’re not all the same

US Hispanics are often portrayed in the press as a single, monolithic group. But anyone who has spent any time in San Francisco’s Mission District or the Bronx can tell you, we’re not all the same. Now we’re finding out Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service