So, as I sit here having been woken up by a blood sugar of 2.2 mmol/L (40 mg/dl)—don't worry, I've eaten Skittles—it got me wondering:

At what level do you typically wake up from a low blood sugar?

For me, you're pretty much looking at it.

Except on occasion, I might wake up around 3.0 mmol/L (54 mg/dl) if I haven't had any low in the previous few weeks (which means I'm almost definitely running too high in general).

Otherwise, around 2.0 - 2.2 (35-40 mg/dl) is pretty much it. (I do feel lows at higher levels during the day. Just for some reason, if I'm sleeping, I get this low before I wake up spontaneously.)

What about you?

Views: 357

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Isn't that always the way, Jen! But I'm glad you are okay. I wrote on here a couple weeks ago of waking up totally disoriented at 5AM and I was 34. Pretty scary, especially since I hopped out of bed on a mission to find a box of tissues before I realized how out of it I was. Other than that I think I've awakened in the low 50s, though hard to say if it was the low that woke me up. I tend to be a restless sleeper and if I wake up and don't feel right I always test but I'm usually fine.

Glad you're good now!

I'm still over 200 at lunch time. Ugh!

My blood sugar seems to be either high or low lately. Not much in between. I need to figure that out.

For me, it's low 50s/high 40s also. For some reason, my number is 54 more often than not when it happens. I usually wake up momentarily several times a night these days anyway but if I wake up and my heart is racing, I know to check. I have a Dexcom because I'm mostly hypo-unaware but I will generally wake up with a racing heart at some point.

I usually wake up when I am in the low 60s. That isn't really low, but I can feel that there is something wrong. since going on the pump. I have noticed that I feel my lows less and less, and that scares me. Living alone, I am glad that I wake up.

I will generally wake up to sweating or just a weird sensation in the lower 50s. But there have been times where the sweating and disorientation didn't wake me up until I was right around 40. I tried the Dexcom but had too many false alarms to make it useful during sleep. What works best for me is 1) eating a small snack before bedtime and making sure I don't go to sleep unless I'm above 120 and 2) waking up 1 or 2 times in the middle of the night to just check my BG. Am I a bit sleep deprived? Probably. But this is the only way I can have peace of mind that I'm within a safe range for sleeping.

My husband never wakes up if he is low in the middle of the night. I usually test him and then need to treat him with glucagon after I discover he is in the 20's or low 30's. You prompted me to ask the question? do most Diabetics Type 1, wake up when they are low. ?

Patty, I think it is a really personal thing (unique to each diabetic) and it changes over time...
When I was first diagnosed I showed low symptoms identically to the little cards and posters you see (sweating, confusion, etc.); however, now I am finding I have different "tells" and no longer sweat unless I am below 2.8, whereas I would sweat if I was anything under 4.
If you are doing that for your husband I would say something is up - whenever I have a run of lows in the night like that I set my alarm and test at 3 am and I make sure I am having a bedtime snack. Good luck!

I don't wake up till well under 60, if then, but one of my dogs will dance on the bed until I'm annoyed enough to wake up, and another lies next to me and whines. Usually only if I'm under 60. The Dexcom has been a blessing, I can actually sleep through the night.

I drink about three glasses of water at bedtime to make sure I get up at least once during the night. A couple of nights ago, I woke at 47 and didn't even feel that off. Tested once, tested a second time to be sure and then started on my 3 glucose tabs.

I've run low the last two nights as well although not as low. Last night when I woke, I felt off and was at 61. Go figure. I'm glad you're ok and hope that 238 has come back down to earth.

Maurie

I'm glad you're ok and hope that 238 has come back down to earth.

I've been above 200 for the entire day. Just did a site change and upped pump settings, so hopefully that takes care of it. Other than a few random lows, I've been high like this for almost the entire week. :(

Jen - do you carb count? Sometimes when I ride high like that for a week, I find a sometimes need to reset my ratios. Do you track your results? Maybe look for a pattern???
Sure hope it gets better for you, weeks like that suck!

Yep, I do carb count (and try to limit to under 30g per meal) and log everything. I've been upping my pump settings (ratios, ISF, basal), and just upped them again yesterday (except for basal) and this morning woke up low (???). Unfortunately, I can never spot any patterns to my readings, ever ... even my endo and CDE can't spot patterns! I suspect this week is a combination of hormones and allergies, so hopefully it will work itself out over time if changing settings doesn't do it.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

DHF receives $200,000 grant from Novo Nordisk

Grant given to support programs aimed at bringing together people touched by diabetes for positive change BERKELEY, CA: December 4, 2014 – Diabetes Hands Foundation (DHF) has received a grant of US$200,000 from Novo Nordisk to support programs aimed at Read on! →

Guest Post: World Diabetes Day 2014 on Twitter… sifting through the data

At Symplur we track hashtags, keywords, user accounts, and pretty much anything else on Twitter that has to do with healthcare. We collect the data and then build countless ways to slice it up so that we’re able to better Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service