This is an entirely theoretical question, so all you scientists....

I've always wondered what if any relationship there is between "autoimmune" and "immune system". The reason I wondered is that all my life I have had an unusually strong immune system. I road in a van with all the other kids who one by one got the classic childhood diseases and I never got any of them! I rarely get the flu or a cold. (I'm usually quite indignant when I do!). And I am part of the 10-15% of the population who "spontaneously cleared" the HepC virus. (I have the antibodies for HepC, but no detectable virus) Then in my 40s I got my first autoimmune disorder - Graves Disease (hyperthyroidism) and in my 50s my second, Type 1 Diabetes. I know that people with one autoimmune condition are susceptible to getting other ones.

So does this mean that my immune system works so hard at fighting off disease, that it also mistakenly attacks itself (the autoimmune response)? Just curious - wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience or knows anything about a connection between the two things.

Views: 1433

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm not aware of any genetic link between schizophrenia and thyroid or diabetes, though the genetic aspects of mental illness is not my area of expertise!

I do agree with you very much that the psychological aspects of D are really not paid much attention! I don't have a lot of hope that endos let alone PCP's are qualified or have the time to assess for depression. But they can certainly ask a few key questions and make a referral for further assessment!

I'm enjoying it too, Judith! Just something I've had in the back of my head and thought I'd throw out!

I would like to add that T1 diabetics should watch for these additional autoimmune conditions:

-thyroid: hashimoto, graves disease - can lead to slower or faster metabolism and can cause problems in glucose control
-digestion: coeliac disease - can lead to malnutrition in amino acids and vitamins. Can cause depression, nerve damages and problems in glucose control
-adrenal gland: addison's disease - can lead to weakness
-skin: lichen sclerosus, lichen ruber, vitiligo - psychic side effects
-brain: myasthenia gravis - can lead to muscle weakness

Zoe, I find this post fascinating because you described my experience. I was previously the healthiest person going. I never got colds and I can honestly say I've never had the flu in my life. I even had doctors say "you have a great immune" system when I step on a nail or cut myself or something and let it go without attention for days on end. Then BOOM in my 40s autoimmune attack -- Hashimotos Disease, Type 1 Diabetes, Frozen Shoulder and my guess is it's not over. Talk about being your own worst enemy!

Wow, really similar, Donna! And I am noticing that like I was musing, most of the people responding to say they have had similar experiences were people diagnosed later in life, so they had decades of a "super hard working immune system" before the autoimmune attacks.

Don't say, "my guess is it's not over!" I always say "I never get sick, I just get conditions" and I have enough, thank you! (Type 1, Graves, acid reflux, arrhythmia, arthritis)

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

DHF Partners with HelpAround in an Effort to Connect People Touched by Diabetes

Leer en español Technology has the amazing ability to ease the stress associated with diabetes; It simply makes our lives a little more bearable. That’s why we are excited to announce DHFs partnership with HelpAround. This new application will help Read on! →

La Diabetes Hands Foundation y HelpAround uniendo las personas tocadas por la diabetes

Para nuestra comunidad de diabetes la tecnología ha venido a llenar muchos vacíos y a hacer de nuestras vidas un poco mas llevaderas. Eso mismo nos proporciona una nueva aplicación de geo-localización llamada HelpAround (Ayuda a tu alrededor). HA Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service