Last Friday at a birthday party I met a woman who practices Ayurvedic medicine. She works with people who have diabetes (among other things) to help with overall health and balance. I know almost nothing about it, but the vast majority of my healthcare assistance these days involves needles and pills, so I love the idea of a practitioner who deals in good food to nourish the body and mind alike. Her office must smell and feel so much better than my endo's!

Has anyone here used Ayurveda? Did you find it helpful?

The website for the woman I met is here, if you're curious. It's a beautiful site!

Tags: alternative, ayurdeva, eastern, herbs, yoga

Views: 568

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Maybe I'm just a pessimist or perhaps it's just because I've had bad encounters, but I am very cautious/skeptical of alternative medicine when it comes to dealing with diabetes. I'm all for overall health and balance, but I've had too many weird encounters with people who are insistent that if I just take X or do Y (where Y and X are the alternative medicine trend of the year), I will be off my insulin and my pancreas will miraculously start working again (I'm a type 1).

Perhaps I'm just being too skeptical and I am interested in hearing from other T1s who have maybe had different experiences (in terms of using alternative medicine to compliment traditional T1D management).

I totally agree. Any practitioner who tells me they can get me off insulin loses my business right away, cuz that's just nutballs. Blueberry leaf tea doesn't do it. Cayotemelon doesn't do it. Yoga and positive thoughts don't do it... But I DO think stuff like that could help improve my blood sugars and overall well-being. At this point I don't really mind needing to do shots or wear a pump, anyway. What I mind is feeling tired and crappy. You know?

My mom tried EVERYTHING to "cure" my diabetes when I was younger. I went along with the idea up til I was around 15 to "cure" the diaBETES. bY THAT TIME i FOUND TNOTHING "CURED" DIABETES. I guess I just got to where I don't listen to the fact that anything will help me. Sorry I don't think I'll even check out the site.

I am currently studying East Asian Medicine (Acupuncture, herbology, and associated modalities). I can't speak for Ayurvedic medicine, but can comment on what I've seen and learned of Chinese medicine.

Let me start with the end: nothing is going to be as effective as simple carbohydrate control.

That being said, I have seen both acupuncture and herbs be effective in consistently lowering bg levels. Personally I used an herbal formula while I was still in my honeymoon period (I'm type 1.5) which consistently lowered my bg by about 15mg/dl in conjunction with a controlled diet. I've treated other diabetic students (type 2) with needles to obtain lower numbers as well. However, the time and cost of treatments and herbs is not in my opinion an effective means of control.

If you are eating very low carb, and an appropriate amount of insulin/oral drugs and still can't obtain the numbers you expect, then I'd say it is worth looking into.

It is in NO WAY A CURE. Don't let anyone talk you into that. It is no more a cure than a bolus of insulin is.

Also, regarding herbs: I was not taking a single herb or even a single patent formula, but rather a custom prescription based on my unique presentation. Patent herb formulas are useful, but will be less effective than having one made to meet your immediate needs (which change all the time).

Chinese medicine (and I imagine Ayurvedic) has lots to offer for many conditions, and it may be able to lower insulin resistance (or at least bg levels) but it won't restore Beta cells, or end the autoimmune condition that underlies it.

Always be skeptical of alternatives. Don't let that stop you from investigating and trying some of them though!

Man... try as I might, I just can't improve on what Chris said above.

Oh wait. Yes I can: "Ditto!" :)

While I appreciate that there are many roads to the same destination, I have some serious qualms about many "alternative" treatments.

Every time I hear of some vitamin, mineral, supplement, herb or other preparation that is presented as being an effective treatment for a condition such as diabetes, I always wonder what scientifically rigorous study has been done to document the claim. Do the quality control standard that the FDA requires before a patient can buy a drug apply to something you'd buy at the Wal-Mart or GNC "supplement" aisle? No, they do not. In fact, if you read the fine print on most of these things, you will see a disclaimer saying it hasn't met FDA standards. Another problem is that many drugs we purchase that meet FDA standards might have a negative interaction with herbs and supplements since many USP substances are derived from herbal sources.

The idea of eating healthy, controlling attitude, emotions and positive spiritual engagement to managing a disease like diabetes is always worthy of consideration. It is hard to imagine how anything other than a positive outlook can contribute to better health and diabetes management.

I went to a spiritual healing session last week. The healer, talking about what this healing is, said that it can work in unexpected ways. You might want it to heal an ailment or pain, but it might heal your mind so that you can deal with the ailment or pain better. I think this is how I feel about non invasive natural therapies generally.

I feel as though this might be the biggest upside to an alternative treatment such as Ayurveda. While BG is certainly the focal point of managing D, it is hardly the only factor in living well. If all it took to be healthy and happy was normal BG, all non-PWDs would be perfectly happy, which obviously isn't the case.

We are not just our diabetes - there are other elements of ourselves that need maintenance and practices such as Ayurveda may well aid in that maintenance. It might not directly affect our D/D management, but if it clears the mind, relieves stress, or provides greater energy (among other potential benefits) we might be in a better position to utilize the tools (insulin, pumps, BG meters, even CDE's, etc) that do directly affect our BG.

For me, exercise fills this niche, for others it might be Ayurveda, traditional chinese medicine, even a hobby. Even if it didn't directly lower my BG, I would still exercise for the other health benefits and, most importantly, for the positive impact it has on my mind, mood, and spirit - those benefits alone help me to be better at dealing with my D.

I, too, have visited an Ayurvedic practitioner, who is also an M.D. and experienced with Type II Diabetes. (He managed to reverse it.)
One of his recommendations was fenugreek seeds. I have found it to even out my blood sugar when I can remember to take it. The approach, as others have said, is non-invasive, so it is worth a try. It is unlikely, as others have said, to offer more than better blood sugars and feeling better. Those two things, though, are considerable!

Just reading these posts is depressing enough. The language used is so negativity-based! I get that this is frustrating, and that so many will tell us that they can cure, but they just haven't yet. Just because no one has figured this out yet doesn't mean it cannot be done. But some of you talk as though it will NEVER happen, like it is impossible. Well go ahead and keep thinking that, so it will be your reality. I believe there is an answer and will continue to seek it. I would be okay with changing the world!!

I am currently using, what I suspect, is an ayuverdic method. You may have seen this guy on blogs and stories posted online. His name is SB, and I think he lives in India. Anyway, he gave me this method which uses Fennugreek, Holy Basil (tulsi), Bitter Melon, Neem, and Turmeric. I am using this idea as a base and am ramping it WAY up. Thinking overdose will be very hard with this stuff. I am also adding raw garlic, some special exercise, and a capsaicin formula I made up. I will do this for a month or up to 3. Right now it has made a difference in some odd ways. The other day I had a 405 sugar that came down to 45 within 1.5 hours. I have never experienced a drop that quickly so was a bit of a challenge to manage.

I think the thing with Ayuverdic medicine is it takes a long time, this is a therapy approach. Positive mental outlook will be a big part of it as well.

If one takes time to think about it, what would a "cure" look like anyway? Seems to me, it would begin looking like increased insulin sensitivity, which we have all experienced at one point or another it sounds. So perhaps that is part of a cure, we just haven't figured out the added "push" that would take us into actually producing insulin ourselves. I do believe that nature carries an answer, just need to find the correct combination of things!!

google this guy. He is currently being sought by the government for fraud and is believed to also be a terrorist. I just saw the article somewhere end of last week and that Holy Basil is what caught my eye. Sorry to be another negative but please check this out quickly. He supposedly lost his license in IL and Iowa for selling the Holy Basil etc.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

#WalkWithD: Making MORE Sense of Diabetes

A few years ago, we at Diabetes Hands Foundation reached out to the members on TuDiabetes and asked them to share their perspective of life with diabetes through one of the five senses, as part of an initiative called Read on! →

What’s up with advocacy at Diabetes Hands Foundation?

At Diabetes Hands Foundation (Co-founded in 2008 which drives Tudiabetes among other programs) diabetes advocacy has become an increasingly important part of our work over time. Since 2013, these efforts took us down a path that resulted in a roadmap Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service