My son was taken off the Omnipod for a "short pump vacation" to get him in better control... things were going crazy as he came out of the Honeymoon period. The doctors he was using...didn't like the Omnipod..had poor results w/patients who used it and they wanted him to go on a different pump. My son wanted to give Omnipod one more chance before he just gave up on it. We.. switched to a new doctor now.. and we work very closely with our local Omnipod Pump Instructor...and things are going the best the ever have since diagnosis! If you are having trouble w/the Omnipod seek out your local Omnipod Pump instructor if you have one...Not all Endos know enough about it since it is relatively new... they don't know how to read the chart of the Pilot Program... All the troubles we had before....including the pump change highs are gone now.. LOVING the OMNIPOD now! Sooo glad we didn't stay with the doctors that wanted us to give up on it! .

Views: 67

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That is wonderful!

What are you doing differently?
Things we are doing differently:
1. after a pod change he "pushes" .03 U to cover any possible lack of priming.. that little bit helps... amazingly.

2. The CDE (pump instructor from Omnipod) was able to read the charts and looked at the one....no one else looked at... the "WEEKLY PUMP" and saw that his ratio between how much of his daily insulin was basal/bolus/correction was way off what it should be... most of his daily insulin was from food or correction ..thus the rollercoaster ride and him wanting too eat way too much and needing way too much insulin. (the Endo at the time..could not read Omnipod reports....only really looked at the logs.)

3. We have been working with the new Endo...the Pump instructor.. and reteaching my son.. that you don't need to eat to get all your insulin... or correct all the time unless you are sick.... He FEELS sooo much better now. And he didn't need to give up OMNIPODs to get back in control...... :)
OH and the biggest thing.... The pump instructor is the most decicated ...educated... kind person.. I have ever delt with! She has taken on this as if it was her own life she was fixing. I can't thank her enough!
Well, your story sounds soooo Typical when it comes to these Endo's..
I have yet to find one that goes out on a Limb, let along into much details for that matter.. and I've gone thru 5 so far in the 17 yrs having T1 .. The rest of my Siblings have T1 as well as Adult onset and they too, have very little luck with their Endo's and we're all pretty much On our Own..

I think most of these Endo's See 1 T1 out of every 20 or more D's and just don't have enough Experience, let alone enough T1 Good control Patients to learn from..
We are a minority in D.. and I'm the only one in my Little Town of 8,000 and have to go to the Big City of 50,000 to see an Endo.. and the other Endo I have is thru the VA and they have been all but Worthless for yrs..

And if a Dr. Doesn't use a PC and Kept Current In the Technology Dept? You're going to have problems.. Try to get a CDE experienced in using The Technology or as you found, the Rep./instructor themselves..

But regardless of what Delievey method, it still comes down to the person operating it..The Basals are one thing, but the other half of the challange is Doing the Bolus's/carb Counting, Correcton Bolus's and Testing enough..
One thing I think happens with Omnipod users.. is ..it is their first pump... they are new.. and when things go wrong.. instead of figuring it out Endos want to BLAME the pods instead of figure out the problem. I think the same things would have gone wrong w/ any other pump for my son... I hear that people who start pumping w/ another pump...then switch to the pods... usually have way less trouble. than newbies. I think if you have an endo that doesn't know..trust or like the omnipod.. and you want to give it a try...then you need an NEW endo! If the Endo is gonna blame everything that goes wrong or unexplained on the pod... they will not see the BIG PICTURE and miss the real things that are going wrong.
have been off the pod for awhile now and am thinking of starting it back up -what doctors are you seeing now?

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Meet The 2014 Big Blue Test Grant Recipients

This year Diabetes Hands Foundation has pledged US$35,000 in Big Blue Test grants, continuing its support for programs aimed at providing lifesaving supplies, medical tests, treatment, and patient education to people living in need who have or at risk Read on! →

Kim Vlasnik: The Patient Voice

Kim Vlasnik, you NAILED it! In this video, Kim Vlasnik takes our breath away as she describes what its like to be a person with diabetes. Fortunately, Stanford’s Medicine-X Conference gives ePatients, like Kim, a chance to speak since we carry the Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service