okay, so our son has been pumping since early october so we are still kind of new at this, but...

we have had 3 sites that went in wrong and were not working, a couple of sites that went bad because we had trouble reconnecting after a bath (quicksets) and 3 sites that got ripped out and changed before they would have needed changing otherwise.

but my question is can a site just go bad for no apparant reason? he was low actually at bedtime and had some snacks, which we bolused for. I went to check him before i went to bed and he was 13.4 (canadian, so a little higher than he is usually at that time). I thought this was a little odd given he was low earlier and so i waited another hour and checked again. This time 19! I did correct, but I was wondering what the possibility is that the site is bad given that there is nothing (to my knowlege) that could have made it go bad? (It was changed yesterday afternoon).

Also, In less than 2 months of pumping we have gone through almost an entire extra box of infusion sets, which is costly, so i was wondering how often you have 'bad' sites that need changing long before 3 days is up. Thanks.

Tags: bad, infusion, sets, sites

Views: 121

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am not sure what basal tests are. I think what happened in this case is that in an effort to avoid the low numbers we had been seeing, we had cut his overnight basal again and at the same time I think I left tooo many carbs out of his bedtime snack bolus. live and learn I guess:)
inject with a syringe. Sometimes the site just refuses to adsorb well, no matter what.
I have the exact opposite problem...my site doesn't go BAD....it is when I first put it in that I sometimes have problems, not all the time but sometimes.....I can not figure that out. I will shoot up to 300 and take a shot to bring it down. At times the highs lasts for 1 or 2 hours but usually the site takes "HOLD" and basal/bolus are back to normal.
I thought it might be a site rotation problem, but i rotate 5 rows of 4 on each side of my stomach...thats over 100 days before I get even close to a previously used site (based on a 3 day insertion). And yes I have more fat in one area compared to another. Another one of my life's diabetic mysteries that me or my Endo can not solve!!! Mark
Are you giving enough insulin when you fill the cannula? Many pumpers find that they need more insulin to fill the cannula than the infusion set instructions suggest. I found that I always need a little extra insulin to "warm up" the new site.
My son had trouble with his sites falling out or the edges partially becoming undone. We use SKin Tac and that holds his sites on even through sweating through 80 minutes of soccer playing, swimming and wake boarding. We just started using the Mios. I am hoping that these will be better for him because he can do the whole inserting thing independently which I have been trying to get him to do for quite some time.
It is a lot of trial and error when you start the pump . Throw in hormones and growth and it is alot of adjusting of basal rates and carb ratios...You may have to do delays to see if his basal rates are where they should be and then figure out if your carb ratio is where it needs to be. I have a friend whose child has at least 2 different carb ratios depending on the time of day. I know the lack of sleep does you in also. It is exhausting. Hang in there... it should get better.. it is so overwhelming and exhausting initially but you will soon get it all figured out. Nancy

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

DHF receives $200,000 grant from Novo Nordisk

Grant given to support programs aimed at bringing together people touched by diabetes for positive change BERKELEY, CA: December 4, 2014 – Diabetes Hands Foundation (DHF) has received a grant of US$200,000 from Novo Nordisk to support programs aimed at Read on! →

Guest Post: World Diabetes Day 2014 on Twitter… sifting through the data

At Symplur we track hashtags, keywords, user accounts, and pretty much anything else on Twitter that has to do with healthcare. We collect the data and then build countless ways to slice it up so that we’re able to better Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service