I was just reading about them at:
http://www.bd.com/us/diabetes/hcp/main.aspx?cat=3067&id=32557

They are 32g x 4mm long. Thinner and half the length of the BD Ultra find short pen needles 31g 8mm length needles I'm using now.

I am very thin and have been using only my stomach area. With these shorter needles I should be able to use my thighs and arms without hitting muscle. When I hit muscle insulin is absorbed faster but might not last as long, not to mention the pain.

I'm going to ask my doctor/father about them, I'd like to try them..

Views: 1981

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

They were educational materials that the BD rep dropped off with pen needle and syringe samples. We recently moved the clinic so I am not sure I have them but I can ask the rep for more if you are interested in specifics of their "guidelines".

i am totally interested in what BD has to say about all this. i would appreciate it.

Actually, my understanding is that needles that are too short may not penetrate sufficiently through your skin and enable the insulin to be injected into the body fat. If you penetrate to just below the skin, the insulin can pool below the skin and absorb improperly. I tried the nano and eventually moved back to the 8mm needles in order to get proper penetration.

I suppose it depends on how thick your skin is....:-)

This is the problem. Everyone seems to have heard something different or has a different understanding.

I am also most comfortable using the 8 mm needles for whatever reason.

4mm 32G Nano has been tested with adults with BMI 20 to BMI 49.

4. Hirsch LJ, Gibney MA, Albanese J, et al. Comparative glycemic control, safety and patient ratings for a new 4 mm x 32G insulin pen needle in adults with diabetes. Curr Med Res Opin. 2010; 26 (6): 1531–1541.
pdf-file: http://www.bd.com/resource.aspx?IDX=18066
(it is a pdf, the file has wrong )
Direct Google link

The important things with these Nano needles are not to pinch skin, and to insert in 90 degrees angle. I presume it is a difficult thing to learn to do, if one has injected with two-hands-technique in an angle for decades.

I am an adult with BMI 28 and I am a very happy camper. I inject into stomach (Apidra) and into upper buttocks (Lantus). It is so much easier to inject into buttocks with one hand, and I can use a larger area there (very useful over time).

I started my diabetes care with 5mm 31G, now I use only 4mm, 32G. I will never use anything longer or wider with my insulin pens regime. Never. If I switch to pumps, then I have to use bigger harpoons.

See it yourself, new injection technique, plenty of pictures, 2011 style:
http://www.bd.com/us/diabetes/page.aspx?cat=7002&id=32521

yes! yes! this is so great. thank you. my BMI is 20 with most of my junk in my trunk. the "no pinch" technique is why i thought the nano would be good. sounds much easier to bend around to shoot into the booty with a single hand.

thank you, JKD1, for the research links. This makes me feel safe to experiment.

You could always just go most, but not all the way, and use the mini 5mm 31 gauge.

There is a coupon/rebte for a free box of 100 nano needles so I probably will try them.

QUESTION: if anyone has used the nano, do you notice that the finer needles become blunted more easily. I am sure that no one has ever used a needle more than once, but if you were to accidentally forget to dispose of a needle and mistakenly use it say, a dozen times, would you notice a difference in the sharpness of the 31 vs 32 gauge?

I usually use my Nano needles 5-6 times before disposing. Never noticed it getting duller.
I always save the little cap from the needle, in my medicine cabinet, replace it on the needle when disposing and only after it is disposed of do I take out my new pen needle.
I also use an alcoho basedl rub, Germx, after washing my hands. This is the last thing I do after laying everthing out and just prior to picking my finger tip. I'm careful to avoid picking the same area. Sides of finger tips gives me more fresh areas of finger tip than if I picked the center of finger tip.
Sorry if all this sounds overly obvious.

OMG. I love these things. I switched to the Delica lancet and don't even remember what the old ones were like. I think these are the same gauge. I don't even feel them going in most of the time. Used my coupon so they were free, but I'm not going back to the mini. The only downside I see is that u don't feel them. Sometimes I wonder if I really injected, so no more shooting through clothing.

This other pdf show derma and depth (link) (source: BD)

I use the BD nano 4mm and I love them, they are virtually painless! wont go back to anything else

I tried the nano's but they stung with anything over 7 units or so. I use the 5/16" 31 gage BD ultrafine needles.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

DHF receives $200,000 grant from Novo Nordisk

Grant given to support programs aimed at bringing together people touched by diabetes for positive change BERKELEY, CA: December 4, 2014 – Diabetes Hands Foundation (DHF) has received a grant of US$200,000 from Novo Nordisk to support programs aimed at Read on! →

Guest Post: World Diabetes Day 2014 on Twitter… sifting through the data

At Symplur we track hashtags, keywords, user accounts, and pretty much anything else on Twitter that has to do with healthcare. We collect the data and then build countless ways to slice it up so that we’re able to better Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service