Hi all,

I have to admit, I am completely sick of being diabetic.....was diagnosed with T1 four years ago and this is the first time that I have felt this way.... perhaps because during my pregnancy last year I was so strict with my blood glucose numbers.... since my daughter was born 6 months ago I find I could care less about diabetes as a whole.... awful, I know.... but I cannot be the only person who has felt this way! Went to my endo a couple days ago and my A1C is 7.8 (highest it has been since my diagnosis), up from a 5.2 throughout pregnancy. I am currently on an insulin pump but am switching back to lantus for a break.... just looking at my pump makes me cranky. This is a total switch from the way I have always dealt with diabetes.... would love to hear from others who are/have been burnt out in the past for ways to get through this. Thanks! Kris

Views: 79

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This post has been really encouraging for me, so thank you Kristina, for starting it up, and to everyone who has contributed to it in such an enthusiastic and meaningful way. Taking 'baby' steps, as I like to call them, is definitely the easiest way to get back into the swing of things in my mind. And I really need to take the advice given before about just doing it, and not overthinking it. I have a tendancy of doing just that.. probably due to still being fairly newly diagnosed, just 7 months ago. It's actually quite strange thinking about my life pre-diabetes now... but then I visit this site and there are people who have had it for 50 years +! I really do admire you : )

I put this in my blog, and I'll also leave it here, as I find that it lifts my mood when I'm feeling at war with D.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmyUkm2qlhA

Just keep swimming everyone : )
That made me laugh (swim) today...lol...I love that movie!
Kristina, my heart goes out to you. I've been Type 1 for 20 years, I don't think I've ever been depressed by my diabetes despite my periods of poor control, although often cranky and frustrated to be sure, and it breaks my heart to know you've got another 16, 30, 70 years to go.

But I can tell you, that as a male with female diabetic friends I've watched go through pregnancy, you may have already done the toughest thing, diabetic-wise, that you'll ever have to do. (not to mention giving birth, speaking of tough things period!) Hammering out a 5.2 A1c while pregnant is an amazing accomplishment. Truly amazing, and what a wonderful gift to give your child before it is even born.

Celebrate your accomplishment, and don't worry about a few 7's here and there. You know how to hit the 5's (not all of us have your discipline - i'd be happy with 7's!), and you'll get back there. Damage is cumulative so just make sure you win the war, and let the lost battles here and there just remind you that you're human and sometimes need a break.
I know how you feel! I am so fed up with it! Have not been able to get my sugars down for nearly four months. Went to the doctor this morning and my A1C is 9.9!

I think what has not helped is that I have been suffering from depression. I have been put on new antidepressants but they are causing some significant side effects! All the ones listed on the leaflet - except erectile dysfunction! That is not a possibility.
It does however, apparently lower blood sugars. Was moaning to the pharmacist about one or two of the effects and he was recommending something when I started sweating. I took a test and lo and behold I was 2.6! Yippeee! First one for ages. Sat down and ate some candy and made the pharmacist laugh when I said that I quite enjoyed this disease - the treatment can be quite pleasant!
It seems the best thing to do is to take one day at a time. Congratulate yourself on your successes and do not beat yourself up on your apparent disasters. It is not your fault (unless you go and gorge on sugary things, like donuts!) Diabetes is a fickle disease and seems to have a will of its own. Just keep testing!
Hi Kristina, Take a look at this viedo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUpibnNSyrc&feature=player_embedded
I Think Ginger has great tips to handle diabetes burnout, hope it helps you to overcome this phase...
All the best, Fabiana
Just wanted to say hang in there, girl! Congrats on the new baby -- it's always a big adjustment when the new baby arrives, you know, and their needs tend to come first, so I think could probably play into this as well. I can only imagine how much effort you put into keeping things under control for a healthy pregnancy. A 7.8 AIC isn't too shabby, really - you must still be doing a lot of things right!!! I think a pump break might be a nice change for you.

Take Care!

Patricia
Mom to T1

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Diabetes Among Hispanics: We’re not all the same

US Hispanics are often portrayed in the press as a single, monolithic group. But anyone who has spent any time in San Francisco’s Mission District or the Bronx can tell you, we’re not all the same. Now we’re finding out Read on! →

Diabetes entre los hispanos: no somos todos iguales

Traducido por Mila Ferrer.    A menudo los Hispanos en Estados Unidos son retratados en la prensa como un solo grupo, monolítico. Pero cualquiera que haya pasado algún tiempo en el  Mission District de San Francisco o el Bronx se Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service