Views: 2432

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wow. That child went from having a death sentence, to something more along the lines of a major nuisance.

Bravo, Mr. Banting & Mr. Best! :)

Oh my god. I'd heard the stories, and seen a segment on DLife, but that picture is almost unbearable!

Thanks Dr. Banting!! BTW he was Canadian!! :)

Here's an obituary for Dr Michael Somogyi, another important person that was instrumental in getting insulin to diabetics.

http://archive.samj.org.za/1971%20VOL%20XLV%20Jul-Dec/Articles/10%2...

In 1922, while on the Faculty of Washington University
School of Medicine, in teamwork with Drs P. A. Shaffer and
E. A. Doisy, Dr Somogyi was instrumental in working out the
method for the preparation of insulin. This method is to this
day the one used all over the world for the commercial
production of insulin. The first child diabetic to be treated
with insulin in the USA was an 18-month-old baby boy in
the St Louis Children's Hospital in early October 1922, using
insulin prepared by this trio of researchers.

Thanks, I did not know about Somogyi's contribution.

What is even more interesting that the University of Toronto and or Banting did not patent insulin. I guess there was some morality in business then.

Can you patent a hormone produced by every healthy pancreas in the world?

Of course, one can nearly 'patent, trademark, register', anything it seems, of course insulin. OUR HEROES!

Children dying from diabetic ketoacidosis were kept in large wards, often with 50 or more patients in a ward, mostly comatose. Grieving family members were often in attendance, awaiting the (until then, inevitable) death.

In one of medicine's more dramatic moments, Banting, Best, and Collip went from bed to bed, injecting an entire ward with the new purified extract. Before they had reached the last dying child, the first few were awakening from their coma, to the joyous exclamations of their families.

The Nobel Prize committee in 1923 credited the practical extraction of insulin to a team at the University of Toronto and awarded the Nobel Prize to two men: Frederick Banting and J.J.R. Macleod.[51] They were awarded the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine in 1923 for the discovery of insulin. Banting, insulted that Best was not mentioned, shared his prize with him, and Macleod immediately shared his with James Collip. The patent for insulin was sold to the University of Toronto for one half-dollar.

They were not able to patent insulin as it is a naturally occurring hormone, derived from ground up animal pancreases (to be rather crude about the prep method), however they may have been able to patent the method for collection/purification.
The modern insulins, lantus, Levimir, Humalog, Novorapid and Apidra have all the ammino acid sequence changed to change the way in which is acts. As this is a change of the original molecule, it is able to be patented.

Good points, Dee, thanks!

Yeah, we all learn about DP and the Somogyi Effect, but he did a ton of research back in those days.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

TuDiabetes Is Getting A Makeover!

Written By Emily Coles, TuDiabetes Community Manager. Last summer we surveyed members of TuDiabetes and EsTuDiabetes online communities, and gained some GREAT insights! We learned that our members are happy with the information and support they receive on TuDiabetes and Read on! →

An eye opening experience at @CWDiabetes!

Last month, I had one of the most amazing experiences I have had with technology since I have been living with diabetes. It happened at the Focus On Technology conference organized by Children With Diabetes in Los Angeles (the first Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service