Views: 2434

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I had a great-uncle who was one of Banting's kids in the 1920s. He and his family lived in Saskatchewan and went to Toronto to see Banting because they'd been told that my uncle would live for about two years, at most, and slowly starve to death. Banting hoped to give him 5-6 years when he started him on insulin.

My great-uncle lived into his 70s. :-)

Wow Ann what a great story, albeit one we don't really want to hear!

It is a great story, for sure! As I understand it, my great-uncle's parents were looked upon with a sorrowful kind of pity because their son was so ill. They were all Swedish immigrants, farming in Saskatchewan. Getting on a train and going to Toronto was a very big deal back then. Fortunately, this was before the Depression. The farm was prosperous. They could afford to take the risk that the trip might be for nothing.

They followed my uncle's health progress for the rest of his life, in enormous detail, I'm told. Until recently it was very rare for a T1 to live into their 70s, but some did. The Banting lab was interested in trying to figure out why some were able to live so long and so well. My uncle didn't have any major complications throughout his life, as I recall. Any difficulties he may have had would have been attributed to aging. He married, had children, ran his own business and did very well in life.

It may be that he had a form of T1 that was slow to progress. It's hard to know. But insulin in the 1920s and later was no picnic! Dosing was imprecise, no one had glucose meters, testing was complicated and the results weren't very exact compared to the things we're all taking for granted now. I think it's memories of the difficulties of using insulin that colour a lot of people's ideas about what it must mean to rely on insulin today. Those of us who use it seem to be dealing with a completely different situation by comparison with those times.

OMG.OMG. I thought it was bad in 1962. By the way, I looked as bad as pic 1 when diagnosed. It just gets me with little kids. I was 10, but......

Thanks for the start of the Discussion , Richard !!

A bit more info about Dr.Banting: Born on Nov. 14, 1891 in Alliston, Ontario
Married Marion Robertson in 1924
Died Feb. 21, 1941 in a plane crash at Gander, Newfoundland
1912 Entered Univ. of Toronto Medical School
1920 Established practice in London, Ontario
Lectured on endocrinology at the Univ. of Western Ontario and developed the link between diabetes and the pancreas
In 1921, went to Univ of Toronto and conducted reasearch with J. J. McLeod, C. H. Best and J. B. Collip
Jan 11, 1922 Banting first injected 14 year old Leonard Thompson with Insulin
Treated Elizabeth Hughes with remarkable results
Did not claim a patent for insulin - wanted to give it to the world
Banting and McLeod received the Nobel Prize for Medicine in 1923
Banting shared his prize with Best - McLeod split his with Collip
Knighted in 1934 - Sir Frederick Banting, KBE
Banting House Museum established in London, Ontario

Wellknown for his artistic capabilities as well .
Anthony posted a " LIKE " comment !!
I am aware of the " Somogyi effect" , however learned more , thanks to FHS about Dr.Somogyi and insulin being made available

I think, when I'm having a bad blood sugar day (like I am today), I should look at this picture.

Even my worst blood sugar days are nothing compared to before insulin. Without insulin my blood sugar would be 1000 and I would be dead.

we all would be! makes me feel so grateful..it's an eye opener for sure. also think about those who suffer with other horrible chronic diseases, MS, ALS, Parkinsons..ya know, that's NO walk in the park either. Diabetes sucks for sure..but, look what we have, albeit a beast to manage, at least we're alive and puttin' along, trying and trying and we keep trying.

Thank God for these men! NOW, let's find a cure, pretty please?!>???

Michael Bliss's books 'Discovery of Insulin' and 'Banting: A Biography' do a great job of explaining how insulin was discovered. The CBC ran a video several years ago called 'Glory Enough for All' that is just great.

Dr. Banting and Prof. McCleod received the Nobel Prize for the discovery. Dr. Banting shared his part with Charles Best and McLeod shared his with the chemist who really refined the insulin, James Collip.

It is an absolutely fascinating story. Check out the books and the video.

Michael Bliss was a Speaker at last October's Canadian Diabetes Association AGM in Toronto, ON and I was priveleged to hear him speak about Frederick Banting

That's neat, Nell! I wish I could have been there with you.

Thanks for the references, I hope I can find the video.

what i think about most, besides the incredible suffering of these children is, what if that was my child..OMG, I don't think I would have been able to handle it. Watching your child simply die, DKA...or starve to death, purposely as that's the only way they managed it, starving the child, and die a slow death. horrible.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

TuDiabetes Is Getting A Makeover!

Written By Emily Coles, TuDiabetes Community Manager. Last summer we surveyed members of TuDiabetes and EsTuDiabetes online communities, and gained some GREAT insights! We learned that our members are happy with the information and support they receive on TuDiabetes and Read on! →

An eye opening experience at @CWDiabetes!

Last month, I had one of the most amazing experiences I have had with technology since I have been living with diabetes. It happened at the Focus On Technology conference organized by Children With Diabetes in Los Angeles (the first Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service