Views: 2077

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Release of iodine clouds in Hanneford, WA resulted in a greatly increased incidence of thyroid cancer..

Oak Ridge, TN area also has increased incidence of thyroid issues..

Probably is something to it

Also, it may not be 'genetic' in the sense of passing it on to your kids... but you may be passing on the genetic predisposition... which, if they managed to hit the same trigger that you did somehow, whether it be environmental, infectious, or otherwise... they could wind up with it too.

Too much they don't know yet, but a lot does hinge on genetics and predispositions for it..

Yes in my family on both sides of my family it apperars to be genetic. My daughter is a Type 1 too. I haven't seen those video's yet but I will go there and see them. Sounds VERY interesting.

In my family I have about 10 cousins who are Type 1's on my dad's side and about 3 ppl on my mother's side who are Type 1's. Both sides are dotted with Type 2's all over the place. Just something we have to live with in my family.

i have read that 70% of the T1's in the uS do not have any T1 among their relatives.

That doesn't mean it's doesn't have genetic factors. It just means that it's complicated. There are a couple of textbook-type genetic diseases where it's simple, having a single gene is 100% sure that you're going to get the disease. Most genetically related diseases, though, it's a matter of multiple genes coinciding (e.g. recessive) along with probably some environmental factors (either triggered by the immune system, or the other way, that too much hygiene means that the immune system set to work on the body itself.)

Arguing the other way... there's someone here on tudiabetes who E-mails me every couple of weeks, convinced that mercury in tooth fillings caused her diabetes. Just because most diabetics have tooth fillings, doesn't mean that the tooth fillings caused their diabetes. And then there's the Betty Martini crowd, who try to convince everyone that artificial sweeteners cause diabetes. Their evidence? That some diabetics use artificial sweeteners!

I think in the long run it's just a crap shoot in all areas of life that might cause it to happen to all of us.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

FDA Docket Extended! We Need You.

If you are new to diabetes advocacy in the traditional sense of the word, you may be thinking, “What the heck is a docket!?” I certainly was the first twenty times I heard it (yes it took that long). For Read on! →

An Open Letter from @AskManny, @DiabetesHF to @NYTRosenthal, @NYTimes

Dear Ms. Rosenthal: I am a person living with type 1 diabetes since the age of 30. I am also the President and co-Founder of the Diabetes Hands Foundation, a nonprofit aimed at connecting and mobilizing the diabetes community. Seeing Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Heather Gabel
(Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator
Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators
Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service