A while back, we had a discussion topic on the best iPhone Diabetes Apps:
http://www.tudiabetes.org/forum/topics/iphone-diabetes-applications
(a while back as in late 2008, which is FOREVER ago in technology terms)

Since then, tons more apps have been developed (and improved upon) for the iPhone and also Google launched the Android operating system that has been growing like crazy in terms of adoption.

My questions to you are:
  1. Do you use any mobile phone apps to log your BG or other diabetes related info?
  2. If so which ones have you looked at (free/paid)?
  3. What are your favorite features about each and what would you hope to see them do better?

Tags: android, app, diabetes, iphone, mobile

Views: 9423

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hey gentgeen,

Question . . . will OnTrack allow you to search for foods on a data base to get carb info? I've been using the livestrong app but I might get an android phone tomorrow. So just wondering if you type in a food item . . . will it work the magic.

Thanks
Hey Jason,

Unfortunately not, as far as I know. But I have a Droid and what I did was download Restaurant Nutrition app, and the Calorie Counter app. They are both free and those are the ones that I use to look up the nutrition guide for food. Hope this helps.

Alex
Alex . . . thanks for the info. It looks like the blackberry over the droid for now. I'll use the livestrong app and see what happens and possibly find another free app to help me with records. Chao!
No problem, whatever works best, just as long as it works. :)
For the iPhone: http://bantapp.com/.

Pros: Free, customizable classifications for BGs, easy output to Excel.

Cons: Data entry may require too much finger dexterity for some, some may find the graphical representations excessive.

I used this before starting on the OmniPod, which is tracking my BGs and insulin delivery now.
I use calorie king on my palm. Super Helpful for figuring out carbs when out to eat!
If a subscription fee isnt an issue, I was beta testing an app called ZuneLife for the iphone/ipod touch with the headset jack/bluetooth headset (either or both). some of the older ipods did not work with one or the other..

Very interesting app for doing glucose but its thing is reminding you to take prescriptions and such...Only thing missing really is a carb counter/food database...

Wish Calorie King was ported to Android.....
Correction.. its ZumeLife... URL is
http://www.zumelife.com/ but it seems they arent taking new users currently/gateway website is down..
Theres a secondary website for logins thats still up and functioning
I have an app on my android evo called Calorie Counter that has a databases for foods. restaruants and 'brands', and keeps a food/exercise/weight counter. NOT Calorie King unfortunately, but not bad.
I have been using the app. OnTrack for the last 9 months and like the app very much. Only dislike is getting the info from phone to Pc. Perhaps I may need to redo the info with more customizing. Use the app. on the Blaze. an Android Phone through Google I believe. I am happy with this app. so far.
The Accucheck glucometers from Roche uses IR beam to transfer data to a palm handheld and a Desktop Application.

My doctors were like very impressed when I pulled out log , data charts from different time of day, monthly averages etc.

At the end instead of printed material you could show all the usefull data from the Palm Handheld, which you can also update "on the go"

Im into medical tech myself and there are active discussions on LinkedIn about moving up the technology to wireless apps using bluetooth etc. There need to me more Academic - Healthcare - Private Company interactions
FDA has a certain distate for Bluetooth, from what I gather.. But there is a device that is interesting on trying to merge all this into one unit..... Ever hear of the Diasend? Its a GSM box with USB port (expandable to ports) that has IR and BT and will download a lot of different meters to a vendors website for patient access...

Also if you use the Accu chek .. their 360 software was updated to Windows 7 (32 AND 64bit drivers, though its not a 64bit app), as well as the clever Smartpix downloader (USB device that allows for IR downloads *AND* has the software built into its flash memory)

Im still waiting for the Wavesense Jazz with Bluetooth.. but that seems stalled due to the FDA even though it was *approved*

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

#MedicareCoverCGM Panel Discussion

If you follow the diabetes online community, you know that #MedicareCoverCGM is a big deal. We have continued to raise awareness on #MedicareCoverCGM because we believe that ALL people living with diabetes should have access to continuous glucose monitors (CGM). With Read on! →

#WalkWithD: Making MORE Sense of Diabetes

A few years ago, we at Diabetes Hands Foundation reached out to the members on TuDiabetes and asked them to share their perspective of life with diabetes through one of the five senses, as part of an initiative called Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service