My new boss came into my office, closed the door, and gave me a long lecture today, that I should stop using insulin and just use bitter melon. How this has cured everyone else he knows with diabetes. How he's so disappointed in me for still using insulin. (OK he only knows me two months now, and he thinks two months of insulin usage is way too long, I never did tell him I've had T1 for 30 years). How he cares so much for me and hates seeing me being "insulin-dependent" and knows I can do so much better if I just tried.

Wonder how this will unfold. I'm used to getting this sort of advice from random folks or even relatives, but they don't have to sign my timesheet.

Views: 1219

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

As someone else on this site told me before when I was facing a similar predicament: Just tell your boss "You're insulin dependent, why can't I be?"

Seriously, people are ignorant. I'm sorry you have to deal with that in a boss.

Man, that's an uncomfortable situation with a boss. He's not selling bitter melon on the side, is he:) Geesh, disappointed in you! That's one obnoxious & patronizing statement. What did you reply to all this? I would have had a hard time keeping a straight face.

I have a letter from a endocrinologist that explains my T1 condition and all of the supply's, insulin, and testing equipment needed to maintain my health. I have given several individuals a copy in the past and it has eliminated  having to explain myself and it also offered me a small amount of protection (from jackasses) in a very hostel very competitive corporate environment...

Good Luck...YMMV

This is a really good idea JohnG! Wish I had done this about 20 years ago.

I once had a boss (he definitely fit the hostile, competitive jacka** model) who told me that I needed to postpone some of my doctors appointments because I missed more time for medical care than the other people in my unit. He actually wrote this into my evaluation. I politely told him that my health was and always will be my top priority and that it wasn't going to change. I followed up with a written response about Type 1 diabetes to be attached to my evaluation.

What a jerk...he left before I did though! :) My work was far superior to his even with all my doctors appointments (which were not excessive)...and this was the real problem.

One faces a nasty two edge sword here. If you do not inform about conditions that impact your needs and performances - the creep crawls under the " I was never told/advised/informed".

If you do share medical issues that drive certain needs, then one has to be carefull not to overbuild case so that not accused of piking it. IT IS TOUGH and problematic.

This is just wrong on so many levels. In the end, you could play this lots of ways. But it is probably best to figure out a way for your boss to "get smart" without losing face. You may never be able to "fix stupid," but hopefully you can avoid dangerous human experiments with bitter melon or even worse, the public humiliation of your boss.

It's probably not a bad idea to take notes and/ or request to record any future conversations with this boss? If he's that much of a jerk, perhaps he'd get suckered into agreeing to it with a "your tips are so useful, is it ok if I record this?" approach. If he engages in any discriminatory actions against you, it would be useful to have records.

No, unfortunately you can't fix stupid *sigh*. You're treading a thin line unfortunately. Can you give him a simple article that explains T1, and say you're sure the bitter melon has worked for some but they were prob T2? Education and face saving at the same time?

Unless your situation is impacting your work, your boss should not be asking or providing medical advice. He's on a very slippery slope and putting his company at risk. I would suggest he attend a HR101 class.

I dont know and maybe its just me, and potentially playing a dangerous game but this is why i have ALWAYS kept my D out of the workplace. I and once again this is just me, but I keep it on a need to know basis and my work and co-workers dont NEED to know. Work is a competitive environment and I have seen to many times, people using something against someone to get ahead and what they want. I just dont feel the need to have to explain myself. Just simply Im taking a hour or so to go to the Dr, end of story. They dont NEED to know what Dr Im going to see...they don't need to know if it's that time of the year for a trip to the Gyn, or to the Oncologist or any other Dr I need to go see.

Feel bad for your situation, I guess you have some options, smile and nod and tell him thanks for your concern however you are happy with your management, OR tell him when u get your MD...perhaps I'll come see you for advice. Or just keep records of everything that was said, etc...for your own protection.

I don't agree that keeping your D a secret in the workplace is the right answer for everyone. I never make my D an issue at work but I've had enough lows over the years that I think it's important for people to at least know why.

Good example...recently went on a site visit with a group of people from work to check out downtown hotels for a conference. Even running a reduced temp basal and popping sweetarts as we walked, I was still constantly dropping all day. Finally I had to stop the group and ask to get a coke because it was dropping rather quickly and we had more walking to do. Because they knew about my D, they responded quickly and empathetically, and we moved on.

I agree with smileandnod. I can remember at least a couple of times that having had the diabetes conversation quite likely saved my life. I think it's better to get things out in the open. Not in an aggressive way, but this is what can happen. This is what you should do if it happens. Deal with it. This isn't just something you have to go to the doctor for once in a while. It's something that you have to deal with every second for the rest of your life.

It's not something to be ashamed of.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Meet The 2014 Big Blue Test Grant Recipients

This year Diabetes Hands Foundation has pledged US$35,000 in Big Blue Test grants, continuing its support for programs aimed at providing lifesaving supplies, medical tests, treatment, and patient education to people living in need who have or at risk Read on! →

Kim Vlasnik: The Patient Voice

Kim Vlasnik, you NAILED it! In this video, Kim Vlasnik takes our breath away as she describes what its like to be a person with diabetes. Fortunately, Stanford’s Medicine-X Conference gives ePatients, like Kim, a chance to speak since we carry the Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service