I just had my A1C done and was looking over the blood work. My fasting BG was 139 then off to the side it gives normal range of 65 - 99. I have always been told that if your under 140 it is good but the lab work says I'm high.

For the A1C I am at 6.9 and off to the side it says normal is 5.7 or less. And again I have always been told I need to keep it below 7.0 and that is good.

I am wondering if the lab is right in there range or the doctors I see? Now I know why I stay confused all the time.

Views: 1877

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

A1c 6.5% is an average blood glucose of 139.85 mg/dL and that sucks.

I don't know how else to read the statement. An A1c of 6.5% average is 139.8 mg/dl and that sucks speaks for itself. I know what you are saying and I actually agree. However, many around here celebrate getting to an A1c of 6.5% and regardless of intent these types of statements are anything but supportive. I do not think anyone who is a member of this website could think an A1c of 6.5% is the pinnacle of achievement. The 5%'ers are vocal *AS THEY SHOULD BE*. It would be pretty hard to miss what people expect the payoff to be when A1c's are in the 5%.

Everyone, let's take a moment to remember one of our most important values in the community is that of diversity and respect. Quoting from the post "Values of TuDiabetes":
"We value diverse points of view. All people touched by diabetes are welcome. You may find opinions and positions that are not similar to yours and it's ok to disagree. It's just not ok to do so in a disrespectful manner. If you are unsure about whether something may be disrespectful to others, try to put yourself in the shoes of the other person and consider how you would feel if you were on the receiving end of the comments/contribution you are making."

Incendiary personal comments between members isn’t tolerated and forums are moderated to foster intelligent and supportive discussion.
If you dislike the manner in which a member conducts themselves, it is your right to notify the Admin Team and we will handle it. Members conducting themselves in a hostile manner put their membership at risk.

We don't expect everyone to agree on everything, but let's please make sure we do so being mindful of how things come across, respecting others.

Please review http://tudiabetes.com/profiles/blogs/the-values-of-tudiabetes.

Thank you.

I AGREE WIT YOU

Tudiabetes Administration, I am a little confused why you posted this. When I posted this discussion about blood work I have found that the comments have been very usefull to me.I don't see where anyone has been disrespectful. All I see is comments where people are concerned for my wellbeing; which is more than I can say for the medical community. I don't like the fact that my A1C is at 6.9 and my endo tells me that I am doing good for a T1 and that I don't need to make any adjustments on my pump. Listening to her I get up every morning and need to give myself a 2 to 6 unit correction.

I have now started making adjustments on my pump to try and get it set right instead of doing what I have been doing. If the pump tells me to do a correction of 1 unit I would need to give myself 3 units to get my BG down to normal range. I am going to cotinue to make adjustments on my pump without her blessings because I'm tired of fighting the high BG's because of the pump not being set right.

I have been able to get way more usefull information from tudiabetes than I ever have from my endo.

I thank all the people on here for there many different points of view and all the help I have gotten from tudiabetes.

Thanks to all; Uniboy

Good for you, Uniboy! We are conditioned to think doctors are the be-all and the end-all for medical concerns, and many of us with Type 1 have found that is not at all the case. I go to my doctor for prescriptions; I come here to give and receive advice and help. You're right that if you are continually having to give more insulin than the pump is setting or continue to have not so optimal results, then the settings need tweaking!

Tu Admin- Perhaps it would be helpful to specify exactly what the concern is. Obviously I am missing something.......

I think it's important to differentiate between understandable emotions and healthy debate and inappropriate attacks. I myself type 100 wpm+ and sometimes outrun my own brain and put things in a less than tactful way. If I offend someone I apologize; if I'm misunderstood I clarify.

I see both Alan's point of view and Moss Dog's. (If I may): Alan is disgusted with the low standards the medical community proposes, and wants people to not be limited by them. MD sees that someone may be struggling and have reduced their A1C from 8.0 to 6.5 and be, understandably proud of this, and be hurt by hearing "it sucks".

My view is that A1C's are helpful indicators but when we get on here and start comparing it can be harmful. Our lives, despite our common ground are so different in terms of resources (medical, diet, etc) and obstacles (stressful lives, an unsupportive partner, other medical problems, etc.). Then there is the totally random thing I call "the luck of the draw" where one person may effortlessly get flatline level control and another works hard and still struggles with 300s and 30s. If someone seems to not know some basics of D control, I'll share some tools with them. If someone seems to have emotional obstacles I'll point this out and recommend getting help. But I think the most important thing any of us on here can provide is support and one of the key components of support (this has been found even in studies of effective psychotherapists) is acceptance. It wouldn't be helpful if I "accepted" that someone has a high A1C (like many doctors seem to do) without advising some change. But it wouldn't be humane (or human) if I put them down for this.

ZOE,YOU ARE SO RIGHT ABOUT EVERYTHING YOU SAID.WE ARE ALL DIFFERENT.DAYS ARE DIFFERENT.SO MANY THINGS CAN AFFECT OUR BLOOD SUGAR.GASTROPARESIS,FOOD,EMOTION,ETC...,AFTER 75 YEARS W. DIABETES I THINK I KNOW MY BODY BETTER THAN THE PUMP, & I AM STILL LEARNING...ON & ON & ON...

I think we all respond differently; for some tough love works, for others a more gentle approach.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

DHF receives $200,000 grant from Novo Nordisk

Grant given to support programs aimed at bringing together people touched by diabetes for positive change BERKELEY, CA: December 4, 2014 – Diabetes Hands Foundation (DHF) has received a grant of US$200,000 from Novo Nordisk to support programs aimed at Read on! →

Guest Post: World Diabetes Day 2014 on Twitter… sifting through the data

At Symplur we track hashtags, keywords, user accounts, and pretty much anything else on Twitter that has to do with healthcare. We collect the data and then build countless ways to slice it up so that we’re able to better Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service