After 2 1/2 weeks I've decided it's just not working for me :(

My #'s are fine after I give corrections and immediately after meals, but inbetween meals and overnight, they go up and up and up.. I've increased how much I'm taking nearly 3 fold and that hasn't really helped at all. My CDE agrees that it's just not a good match for me, so back on Lantus I go.. oh well.

I have come across some anecdotal information that suggest that for some people, Levemir doesn't work at all because of it's method of absorbtion. I wonder if I am one of those people.

Views: 515

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

good to know. i was pondering the idea of switching from my lantus to levemir in the coming weeks. maybe not.....
Well it seems to work for a lot of people.. just not me apparently :( I'm not comfortable taking more than what I've worked up to, I actually feel safer switching back. My concern is not so much with the amount, but the fact that it just doesn't seem to be DOING anything for me. I don't like hanging out in the 300's :(
no being in the 300's definately sucks. is it possible that it was a bad batch? like expired or something?
Sorry to hear this. I've had better numbers on Levemir.

Wonder if you have a bad bottle. I've returned bad insulin to my pharmacy (CVS) & they given me a replacement with no questions asked.
I doubt it was bad, but I know that it's possible. I should be pumping in about a month anyways assuming I can sort out the insurance nightmare I find myself in, so honesty even trying the Levemir was more of an experiment, and given all the Lantus news lately, I figured I should give it a try. It *is* good to know that it may not work for me though.

When I saw my CDE a week ago she said that most of her patients were requiring 40-60% more Levemir than Lantus and that I shouldn't be too surprised if I did too (after just a week I'd increased my doses a lot on my own).. it seemed like I was on track with that, but at the time I'd only been on it about a week... the day I went in to see here though, my fasting # had been 256! I continued upping my morning and evening doses by a couple units, and that didn't have much effect, so as an experiment I dramatically bumped up my doses the past two days with almost no effect at ll- in fact the first evening after doing so I was battling 300's with no food on board, so clearly something was off. This morning (9:30ish) I was 214, after correcting a high at 3am. It really felt like all the corrections I've been taking her making up for missed basal coverage.

I'm 3 hours back on Lantus, and it's funny how odd it seems to be in the low 100's right now, not fighting highs :) I took more tonight than I used to, since I don't feel like I had any working basal in my system already, so I took 14u and I'll take 4u in the morning, and work my way back to splitting 50/50 over the next week. For reference, I took 30u of Levemir last night, and 20u this morning... my normal dose on Lantus was 9/9, and then 12/10 for the week or so before my period. I would normally also take 3-4u of NPH to help combat DP.
300's:( Awful! Glad you're back to good numbers.

Geesh, that's a lot more Levemir & to have it do nothing at all! My doses of Lantus & Levemir were the same. Once again, amazing how we're all different. I have DP, too, & Levemir really helped mine.

Really hope you get your insurance nightmare worked out. That alone is enough to raise BG.
Update: I went very low last night, and again this morning while cleaning house... odd sensations after two weeks of high #'s!

Legitimate hypos too, in the mid 40's.. I've seen this happen before, after running high for a length of time, I seem to be acutely sensitive to changes in basal insulin, and just a unit or two off can send me crashing... odd, but it is what it is, and kind of strange since I actually SKIPPED the 4u shot I planned to take this morning (lame, but I forgot - I was more worried about cleaning, and by the time I thought about it, I was already low, so I decided not to take it). I think I'll scale back tonight's Lantus to 10u and see if that is better for now... and then maybe i can add some in again in the mornings. Lantus never seemed to last 24 hours for me so I'm sure I'll still need it twice a day.

So either the Levemir decided to kick in a little late to the party, or it's proof that Lantus just works better.. WAY better :)

Oh well, live and learn!

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

#MedicareCoverCGM Panel Discussion

If you follow the diabetes online community, you know that #MedicareCoverCGM is a big deal. We have continued to raise awareness on #MedicareCoverCGM because we believe that ALL people living with diabetes should have access to continuous glucose monitors (CGM). With Read on! →

#WalkWithD: Making MORE Sense of Diabetes

A few years ago, we at Diabetes Hands Foundation reached out to the members on TuDiabetes and asked them to share their perspective of life with diabetes through one of the five senses, as part of an initiative called Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service