I'm on Medicare and I have a supplement from Anthem . They are requiring me to have a c peptide test before they will cover my pump supplies. The last time I had a c peptide test was about 5 years ago and I was told to hold my insulin injections before the test so at that time my BG was sky high and and my c peptide was less than 1. This time I'm told to continue wearing my Insulin pump and that there is no need to fast. I'm afraid that if I'm just less than one like .7-.9 that my insurance won't cover me for the supplies.
I've been a diabetic for 12 years and I've had the pump for 3 years, and it has saved my life. What is the best way to insure a low reading below .6? Should I go ahead and fast the night before the test or should I eat? I'm just really scared that it won't be low enough for me to be covered.
Thank you in advance for any suggestions

Views: 685

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Interesting! Doesn't the c-peptide of Type 2's also decrease over time when their pancreas finally stops producing much of its own insulin (I thought that was the reason Type 2's are put on insulin eventually). I wonder if Medicare would pay for a Type 2 who didn't produce much insulin anymore? Maybe I shouldn't try to make Medicare rules make sense. I worked for County BH for a few years, where I thought of myself as working for Behavioral Health clients not for "the government". Every once in awhile I would ask a coworker what sense a certain county regulation made. Her answer was often, "Zoe, it's the government" which explained everything. (or not)
Yes Medicare will pay for pump/supplies for anyone that meets the above guidelines regardless of Type.
I saw a post a few years ago from someone who was T2 who said that Medicare would not pay for a pump because they were T2....good that things have changed.
Ok, thanks, Moss, that makes more sense.
Another part to this is if you are positive for autoantibodies it makes no difference whatsoever what your c-peptide is you are covered.
If you read the requirements on the CMS site, you have to meet the c-peptide requirements - it is not an either or thing and states they must be met.
If you look one sentence before what you cut and pasted above you will see:

The patient with diabetes must be insulinopenic per the updated fasting C-peptide testing requirement, or, as an alternative, must be beta cell autoantibody positive.
You are right Mossdog! Sorry, I did not see the "or" - I have always heard it had to be the c-peptide regardless of anything else. Sorry abou that@
Actually, the problem is that the guidelines are written biased for a type 1. A type 2 who may be severely insulin resistant may have "relatively" almost no beta cell function left, but the same "absolute" guidelines are applied. To be consistent the guidelines should scale the c-peptide levels, if you can't eat a 15 g carb meal without going over 200 mg/dl at 2 hrs then you are insulin deficient. Yet the c-peptide levels are scaled for a person with normal insulin resistance, not for a person with insulin resistance.

I have some insulin resistance. I would be seriously challenged to qualify for a pump, let alone a CGMS with the current system.
Unfortunately there is still yet to be ANY guidelines from Medicare to get a CGMS. My personal opinion on this is Medicare should decide whether or not they cover something and the rest should be up to the prescribing Doctor and the Patient.
Not saying anything about your particualr situation but I know quite a few Type 2's on Medicare who were able to get a pump.
In my opinion, we should not be letting Medicare establish medical guidelines. What medicare decides establishes what insurance covers and that becomes the defacto medical guideline. It is a sad state of affairs.
But why is it the defacto medical guidance? How can we stop the other insurance companies from following?
Although generally I agree, in my area the Type 2's that have private insurance for the most part do not have to submit to a c-peptide to get coverage on a pump.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

DHF receives $200,000 grant from Novo Nordisk

Grant given to support programs aimed at bringing together people touched by diabetes for positive change BERKELEY, CA: December 4, 2014 – Diabetes Hands Foundation (DHF) has received a grant of US$200,000 from Novo Nordisk to support programs aimed at Read on! →

Guest Post: World Diabetes Day 2014 on Twitter… sifting through the data

At Symplur we track hashtags, keywords, user accounts, and pretty much anything else on Twitter that has to do with healthcare. We collect the data and then build countless ways to slice it up so that we’re able to better Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service