I'm on Medicare and I have a supplement from Anthem . They are requiring me to have a c peptide test before they will cover my pump supplies. The last time I had a c peptide test was about 5 years ago and I was told to hold my insulin injections before the test so at that time my BG was sky high and and my c peptide was less than 1. This time I'm told to continue wearing my Insulin pump and that there is no need to fast. I'm afraid that if I'm just less than one like .7-.9 that my insurance won't cover me for the supplies.
I've been a diabetic for 12 years and I've had the pump for 3 years, and it has saved my life. What is the best way to insure a low reading below .6? Should I go ahead and fast the night before the test or should I eat? I'm just really scared that it won't be low enough for me to be covered.
Thank you in advance for any suggestions

Views: 631

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Don't eat carbs before you go for the test. Possibly fasting could be good. Try to get your BGin the normal range before the test. High would not be good as it might stimulate your pancreas.
Fasting is actually required for Medicare - I posted the link to the CMS manual above. Medicare won't accept the test if it is not done fasting.
Maybe I am being dense here (happens quite frequently) but how could they tell if you are fasting or not?
Normally the lab tech will ask - if she says no & it gets marked down as no (or even not marked at all), it will get rejected. There is no way to prove whether you had food or not, but the question will be asked. If she goes in at 5 in the afternoon, they would probably question whether she was actually fasting or not.
Yeah I went to get a lipid panel done on a day I was basal testing and me and the lab guy got into a bit of a dispute about whether I was indeed fasting. It came down to regardless if I was fasting or not I wanted the test done NOW!
That is crazy that he argued with you about it. I don't blame you for wanting it done then.
Synthetic insulin does not have C-peptides so it is fine to take the test while using insulin. I wouldn't worry because if you were already on the pump your c-peptide reading was negligible at best when you got it.
@bsc I agree.
I got a call from my Dr. office last week and my c peptide was less than 0.1, so I think I'm good.
I got a call a few days ago and my supplies are being sent this week. I feel much better : )
Congratulations, Mary Anne! I would expect this to be a one-time activity, so hopefully you'll be all set from now on.

I am still waiting for Medicare approval of pump supplies for my current Minimed pump. All the paperwork (including c peptide test) has been submitted by my endocrinologist and supplies distributor. Medicare requires up to 60 days to make a determination. It's been 30 days now, so it shouldn't be too much longer ....

Gerry

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

#MedicareCoverCGM Panel Discussion

If you follow the diabetes online community, you know that #MedicareCoverCGM is a big deal. We have continued to raise awareness on #MedicareCoverCGM because we believe that ALL people living with diabetes should have access to continuous glucose monitors (CGM). With Read on! →

#WalkWithD: Making MORE Sense of Diabetes

A few years ago, we at Diabetes Hands Foundation reached out to the members on TuDiabetes and asked them to share their perspective of life with diabetes through one of the five senses, as part of an initiative called Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service