When I put it on horizontally or nearly so (seems like it does better at a bit of an angle), it hangs a bit and makes me feel insecure. I've only had three pods on so far and one of them did this:

omnipod fail :(

So, now I feel over-protective of the pod, like if my kids come near (which is of course a big reason why I wanted to avoid tubing). I'm hoping that there's some tried and true method of taping it on (I'm thinking something to go over the pump would be more secure?) and a product that will work well without tearing me up.

I'd be willing to buy online, but so happy to be able to get something today at CVS or somewhere.

Also, I think I already know the answer to this Q, but just in case... is it possible to pull insulin out of a used pod with a syringe? Like if, say, the syringe gets pulled off (as above) and the insulin is still pretty fresh? Seems like such a waste to lose the whole thing.

Oh, and btw, other than the above mishap... I am loving this pump! My numbers came right into line practically the minute I put it on. :)

Views: 718

Replies to This Discussion

Sure, since the pod is about 2.5 inches long, I center the bandage (using the "padding" part as my guide) perpendicular on the pod. Actually, I place it just a smidge closer to the cannula end but without covering up the window. The only foreseeable problem with this is that the new pods contain a small window on top that turns pink to show the cannula has inserted correctly, and the padding part of the bandage might cover this up.

Run down to he local sporting goods store and pick up a roll of Kinesio tape. It'll take a beating yet is made for longterm wear so it doesn't seem to be as harsh on the skin as some of the medical products I have used. Cut it into strips for use and use as much or as little as you need.

If you're willing to go online, my old standby is Opsite flexifit. You can get it in different sizes and quantities and cut to size according to your needs. It won't take the same beating as kinisio tape, but is lighter weight and less noticeable. The downside is that, if I wear it for longer tan a couple of days, it can irritate my skin.

Good luck!

Not that I have experience with Pods but have had to try to keep on other medical devices..
Youll have to try a few different things.. I cannot use IV3000 or I basically peel off layers of skin that takes forever to heal, but have had good luck with Opsite Flexfix and Tegaderm HP (HP uses a different adhesive than regular Tegaderm.. Found it actually *less* irritating than the regular even though its supposedly a stronger adhesive).. Also use ivprep/skinprep (prefer skinprep, ivprep is skinprep with alcohol mixed in).. on the skin BEFORE attaching the device).. Theres even methods which consisists of barrier wipe-adhesive helper, device, then tape, or barrier wipe, iv3000/tegaderm, then the device.. and tape on top.. its a trial and error thing.. also there are some sort of lycra/spandex band that can be used on arms and leg sites to keep the pod on.. Try talking with your endo or CDE about this.. also the pump rep... they have had to deal with this before...

Good luck

What happens here is that the adhesive will stick to the site; but the Pod tears away from the adhesive.

Yeah, haven't found a wipe type product for the skin, yet, that will help keep the pod from tearing away from the adhesive.

KT tape (from a sporting goods store) works like a charm. Very comfy and secure. And different colors to choose from!

I use the SKIN TAC WIPE order MS407W. I order it the same time I order my pods.
I wipe it on the omni pad directly not my skin, wait for it to get sticky and attach to my back or arm, it makes better contact and my skin around the pod is not sticky. I swim and take a water aerobics class every other night and it stays in place. I take off the paper expose the sticky side and take the tacky swab and wipe it on the pod.(the part that sticks to my skin) When my fingers get sticky I place the pod on my body, since I been doing this a couple of months I have very few problems with the pod remaining in place for 3 days.

I've never tried KT tape, but seeing as it's less expensive and available locally, I'll have to give it a shot.

I like the hypafix it is great.....I put a strip cross wise and lenght wise... before I was always ripping of the pod when I walked to close to a doorway....

What works for me is Kinesio tape and if you have an interest in my application please look at the few photos at my page. Picture and words comes to mind. Pod wear has been fantastic for me after working out the bugs. Best of luck as. Michael

3M™ Coban Wrap. It sticks only to the tape and not to the skin. Works perfect. No sticky stuff on your skin after using it.

I thought I'd come back and report... so far I'm really liking the nexcare clear tape that you can buy at cvs. It does a great job of holding the pod on, even if I really knock into a doorjamb in a bad way. It's not perfect, though. Sometimes it's pretty itchy (though that may be more about me than it) and it's a mess after I take it off. Right now I've got gooey tape mess on my thigh, hip, and both arms. I think my next experiment will be that colorful stuff for athletes. But if I have to come back to the nexcare, that's okay. It does the job. :)

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

A Snapshot: Diabetes In The United States

An infographic explaining the most recent CDC diabetes figures, released in June 2014.

Will you Stand Hand in Hand in support of the Diabetes Hands Foundation?

Facing Diabetes Together Will you Stand Hand in Hand in support of  the Diabetes Hands Foundation? When you make a gift to the Diabetes Hands Foundation you help people with diabetes make positive changes in their lives. We believe that no Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service