I want to start a social movement, and I think the TuDiabetes community is the crowd to kick it into gear. Here's my slogan: "Celebrate with your body, not your mouth". Admittedly, it needs work.

Here's the idea: our special events, occasions gatherings etc. are largely based around food, and I think we'd all be better served to focus them on some sort of physical activity or experience, and let food/drink be something of a happy afterthought, rather than the other way around. What if, for Thanksgiving (oh, I'm being ambitious here) instead of eating until we all feel sick and then trying to force ourselves to take an extremely uncomfortable walk around the block, we planned a great hike or stroll, someplace beautiful and interesting, and THEN went home with an appetite for some well-earned and appreciated sustenance?

Do you think we can do it? Anyone else want to give it a try with me, for your next few social occasions? I'm going to give it a shot and post the results (like, whether or not my friends abandon me) in the thread below.

Join me and let's compare notes!

Tags: activity, celebration, holiday

Views: 451

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Absolutely! What I need is support. It is much easier to be consistent if I have a bike buddy, or hiking companion.

I forgot but we used to work out on New Year's Day with one of the Tae Kwon Do groups I studied with and taught at. Our group would have a "who wants to work out on New Year's Day?" session that was always well-attended and had an extra bit of "oomph" knowing that you were going ON A HOLIDAY!! I feel the same way about the Turkey Trot, running on xmas, etc. It's good to get out, get some fresh air and then the junk food tastes better.

When you first mentioned a social gathering not involving food, I thought of this, the annual New York City "No Pants Subway Ride". It's exactly as it sounds. Originally designed to catch people off-guard and capture their responses to people riding the subway without pants, it's morphed into more of a well-publicized event for gawkers.

I assume this isn't what you had in mind!

I'd ASSume (ha ha!!) that "No Pants Diabetes Day" would 1) get us a lot of PR and 2) make it easier for thigh injections for 24 hours!

Somehow I think that riding the New York subways without pants and sticking needles in your thighs could definitely have unwanted results!

Diabeteass!!

Emily I've actually already started what you're suggesting and, ironically, I started on Thanksgiving 2011. I am an Amateur Radio operator - or "Ham" - and I work three major races a year and the last one falls on Thanksgiving morning. Although I don't run, I still get a nice workout setting up equipment, taking participants to different locations, etc. Then, when it's over and I get home, I can eat in moderation and not feel guilty. It must be working too because I've lost almost 20 pounds since I started and went down about four sizes in the waist!

Thank you very much! That's really an awesome thing to do! All races need volunteers and I totally appreciate everyone who has ever waved a cup of gatorade, water or Gu at me! The volunteers at the Chicago marathon last year were amazing, not just passing it out but yelling and motivating for 5-6 hours, almost as much work as running.

Acidrock23, I did as much yelling and cheering on as I did communications in a normal voice over the radio.

I signed up for a St. Patrick's day 5K here locally! I'm hoping the weather will cooperate so I can ride my bike and hit the pub afterwards!

What about Halloween! - Bane of the diabetic child's existence!

-My kid's (not diabetic - lucky them) grew up in the times when creepers were putting razor blades in apples and arsenic in cookies... So a bunch of my fellow parent friends and I would plan (like for a month ahead) this potluck extravaganza where we would all meet at someone's home (in full costume, of course - adults too). These were country folks, by the way, so acreage was involved. Before dinner while the kids played, all the parents headed out to set up for a skit they'd made up - somewhere in the woods or fields or whatever there was at the host's place.

Back to the house and we all ate. Then a wild looking parent who'd volunteered to lead the "Spirit Walk" would tell the kidlets a thrilling story while the other parents ran out to their stations to get ready.

Off the group would set, their leader lighting the way and hamming it up grandly, As they came upon each station a crazy scene would unfold often involving the kids somehow, and which would end in passing out goodies. I remember one where my daughter and I dressed as tigers; we roared, pounced and bellowed "Tiger ,tiger burning bright! In the forests of the night..." (that English guy's poem - Blake?) We made up the rhyme from there, to the effect that if they wished to pass they must first show their Worthiness. The leader argued for the kids and they all yelled their accomplishments... Daughter tiger and I snarled about how good they might taste, all tender and young, but finally pronounced them Worthy. In fact we invited them to our den for jerky strips... You see where I'm going with this. The treats were incidental to big fun of the rest of the event.

Another year it was a full moon and the kids were almost through all the stations, just coming out of a little draw into the open field. I was waiting at the barn on my horse, dressed in old west clothing and carrying a satchel full of well, yes, candy - but it wouldn't have to be. When I saw the leader's torch across the field, I galloped full speed through the moonlit dark towards them, circled the group and threw down the satchel yelling, "Pony Express! Special delivery for the Spirit Walk!" -Spun and galloped back to the barn! I think those might have been the funnest moments of my life, my horse loved it too - much to my amazement. And the kids, now grown, still tell stories of our Halloweens.

The party didn't end there either. Back at the house there was a haunted house for the older kids in the basement that we'd made with old sheets hung from the ceiling making a winding path through. Parents cut holes and reached in to grab or tickle kids - others made wild noises or played instruments - I don't know, anything ghoulish and scary parents could think of. The littler kids got a Halloween themed pinata upstairs. Outside there was a big bonfire we all ended up sitting around as the evening wore down. Then we parents went home and slept for a week, or wanted to.

I'd think that in a city there'd be enough D-parents to generate a gathering like this for their children - "You have to be diabetic to go," the invite could read. And all the treats could be savory delicacies - olives, cheeses, fruits, seasoned jerky - whatever is mostly ok for us diabetics, plus little non-food items kids like...

For once D-kids would be envied by normal kids on Halloween, right? I know my kids didn't miss trick-or-treating even a little, and as they got older they insisted on doing their own stations on the walk themselves. Neighbor kids begged to be included though their parents thought we were nuts. We let them of course. (I hope they will do this with their kids. I could play a great witch now that I'm almost 60!)

Long post - sorry!

-Linda

I like the hike idea, Emily. I live next to a state park, so that's pretty feasible for me.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

TuDiabetes Is Getting A Makeover!

Written By Emily Coles, TuDiabetes Community Manager. Last summer we surveyed members of TuDiabetes and EsTuDiabetes online communities, and gained some GREAT insights! We learned that our members are happy with the information and support they receive on TuDiabetes and Read on! →

An eye opening experience at @CWDiabetes!

Last month, I had one of the most amazing experiences I have had with technology since I have been living with diabetes. It happened at the Focus On Technology conference organized by Children With Diabetes in Los Angeles (the first Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service