I want to start a social movement, and I think the TuDiabetes community is the crowd to kick it into gear. Here's my slogan: "Celebrate with your body, not your mouth". Admittedly, it needs work.

Here's the idea: our special events, occasions gatherings etc. are largely based around food, and I think we'd all be better served to focus them on some sort of physical activity or experience, and let food/drink be something of a happy afterthought, rather than the other way around. What if, for Thanksgiving (oh, I'm being ambitious here) instead of eating until we all feel sick and then trying to force ourselves to take an extremely uncomfortable walk around the block, we planned a great hike or stroll, someplace beautiful and interesting, and THEN went home with an appetite for some well-earned and appreciated sustenance?

Do you think we can do it? Anyone else want to give it a try with me, for your next few social occasions? I'm going to give it a shot and post the results (like, whether or not my friends abandon me) in the thread below.

Join me and let's compare notes!

Tags: activity, celebration, holiday

Views: 451

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm Game Emily. How about our next family greathering???? EASTER???? Atleast here around my house.

EASTER!! I have an Easter hearbreak story from my childhood, involving, of course, a comparison of my Easter basket to those of my (non-diabetic) siblings. My poor parents tried so hard, but there was so little sugar free candy back then...

How about an wide-ranging Easter egg hunt, involving much walking and hiking and climbing? Maybe even treasure-hunt style with instructions to hop, skip, trot your way to the next clue. I think that sounds like fun!

I'm glad you're in, Doris!

That sounds like a GREAT idea!!!

I know ur heartache about Easter and the sugar free candy thing. It got to where after I became a diabetic Easter and Halloween weren't really celebarated at my house when I was a kid. Oh we still had Easter I just didn't get anymore baskets from the Easter bunny.

I have walking "dates" with some likeminded neighborhood friends--instead of coffee dates. Since we all work & have kids, these tend to be impromptu. (One of us sends out a Facebook inviting the others & 2 or more of us set out for an hour.) This has been a great glue for us.
Honestly, I don't see my less active friends so much anymore.

I love that idea. I'm the coffee date type (although I have very little time for it these days), but I actually enjoy walking and chatting more than sitting and chatting.

It certainly sounds like a good idea to build our social events around activities other than food, but I's like to share another viewpoint.

I for one, actually value the sharing of food with loved ones in a social setting. I think sharing food has been a special way for humans to connect since before history began from religious and community activities and celebrations, down to a traveler in sparsely populated areas being provided a place to stop and share a bowl of soup, and people who have little themselves sharing what they do have with others who are hungry or alone.Culture is expressed through food and we evoke our roots in Russia, or Italy or New Orleans when we eat foods traditional to our families who came from there. We nurture each other with food, what better way to nurture than providing sustenance! It's a very basic human way of connecting.

I love being a part of this long history of "breaking bread", and as a "foodie" I love exploring different cuisines with like-minded people, while traveling, in restaurants and at home. I love to cook and making good food for people is one important way I connect.

That being said I don't subscribe to the kind of mindless over-eating and poor food choices of say a traditional Thanksgiving-stuff-yourself-till-you're sick and lethargic or of "all you can eat/stuff restaurants where people feel obligated to over-eat to get their money's worth. Food can be healthy, diabetes-friendly as well as tasty and a delight for the eyes and palate. I don't plan on giving the joy of sharing food up any time soon. It's one of my greatest joys.

When I got into recovery from my eating disorder I gave a lot of thought to this very topic, realizing that I needed other ways to "treat myself", and I learned to replace things like ice cream sundaes with a new book. But I also learned that "enjoying food" wasn't off the table (pun intended!). On the contrary it was required, not to feel deprived. Mindless "all you can stuff" eating is not particularly enjoyable. Nor is eating things that send us onto a blood sugar roller coaster. But sitting around a dining room table by candelight drinking good red wine and eating good home cooked food is.

I'm with you Zoe. Besides, Turkey dinner is usually D-friendly. After all the summer BBQs with the sugary ribs, hot dogs, hamburgers,corn on the cob, potato salads etc., I am always so excited when the turkey dinners arrive and there is something I can eat. It always feels so good to finally be able to sit down and join the party.Cheers! Joanne

Great idea! I sort of do this already, to 'cheat' and make room for food. I think a lot of people, not just PWD would certainly benefit from exercise. Plus, of course, all of our relatives are at risk...

This is a wonderful idea. Too bad I am far to lazy to participate. My only too much food and not enough of anything else day is Christmas, and I managed to eat reasonably last year. Sometimes, In Minnesota it is difficult to go for a walk after a big meal, even if there is a genuine desire! :)

Count me in! Fabulous project. Many ways to celebrate & enjoy being alive. Your idea would make occasions memorable.

I have a long-standing tradition of going someplace beautiful in nature on Christmas morning -- far from gift-wrap, tinsel and "treats" -- hiking until I finding a peaceful, pretty spot, and stopping to sing "Happy Birthday" to Jesus. It makes me happy, burns some calories, puts me in touch with "the reason for the season" and (perhaps) entertains any squirrels, birds or other critters within listening range.

I also buy a SMALL, living evergreen tree still in its pot, lightly and carefully decorate it, enjoy it over the holidays, and then donate it to some group that will plant it outside (perhaps a water-shed restoration project.) I'm open to the idea of hiking somewhere with a folding shovel, a portable watering "can" and my little tree on my back to plant it myself.

Maybe instead of tree cutting we could make tree planting our tradition?

My birthday usually goes quietly as everyone seems to be out of town when my birthday rolls around in August. However, I have had some success organizing outdoor picnics with lots of frisbee, softball and games. Memorial Day, 4th of July and Labor Day seem like the most likely candidates for extreme make-overs.

The thing is, people LOVE to feast and it's hard to get very many motivated to move all at the same time in the same direction once we pass the magic age of 30. What a bunch of schlumps we are! ;0)

I think soccer parties, frisbee parties, dancing parties, hiking parties and the like should be the tradition until we start slowing down at about...oh...say 85 or so. It will take quite a culture shift to make it so, but hey, I'm game.

#DOC and #DSMA on twitter are great people and have a discussion every Wednesday night on twitter.

check them out...they are wonderful!

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

TuDiabetes Is Getting A Makeover!

Written By Emily Coles, TuDiabetes Community Manager. Last summer we surveyed members of TuDiabetes and EsTuDiabetes online communities, and gained some GREAT insights! We learned that our members are happy with the information and support they receive on TuDiabetes Read on! →

An eye opening experience at @CWDiabetes!

Last month, I had one of the most amazing experiences I have had with technology since I have been living with diabetes. It happened at the Focus On Technology conference organized by Children With Diabetes in Los Angeles (the first Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service