Tags: LADA, antibodies, insulin, misdiagnosis, type1, type2

Views: 17633

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Cheli,
Welcome. Where you go is here to join the rest of us who are type 1.5 Yes, there really are a bunch of us out here. And no, it is not that we have abused ourselves or anything else. We simply exist, sitting right in between a type 1 and a type 2. It may seem strange but there is not one diabetic of any type that is exactly the same as any other. We are each different. You do the best you can. After juggling your diet and your insulin it will finally come together. It just takes time and trying different things until you finally get the right combination for you. Don't expect magic overnight. But now that you have the right diagnosis you will be able to get the right combination to work for you. Just keep coming back and let us know how you are doing. Good luck. You are not alone Cheli. There are over two thousand members here and all of us are here for you no matter what type we are. We all support each other.
Some information in this forum thread is not accurate according to the latest diabetes research. A commonly stated myth is that in Type 2 diabetes, insulin production by the beta cells declines over time. This is not true, according to "Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults: Definition, Prevalence, Beta Cell Function and Treatment" in Diabetes Vol. 54, Supplement 2, December 2005. In that article, the authors point out that if you remove people with autoimmune markers for Type 1a diabetes (aka slow onset Type 1 diabetes in adults almost always misdiagnosed as Type 2) from studies of Type 2 diabetics, "beta cell function was unaffected and preserved 12 years after diagnosis among individuals without islet antibodies." If patients with LADA are appropriately removed from studies looking at beta cell function in Type 2 diabetics, there is no decline in production of insulin in the true Type 2 diabetics. [People with LADA are antibody positive and have Type 1 diabetes, according to the Expert Committee. The Expert Committee on the Diagnosis and Classification of Diabetes Mellitus states, "Although the specific etiologies of [Type 2] diabetes are not known, autoimmune destruction of beta-cells does not occur."] The Expert Committee does not include a category of LADA or Type 1.5: if you are antibody positive, you have Type 1 autoimmune diabetes.
Thanks for including this reference, Melissa. Do you mind clarifying the name of the publication? (it says "Diabetes Vol. 54)

Calling myself a LADA for a while now, I would be interested in reading a bit more about this.
"Diabetes" is the name of the ADA's journal that covers diabetes research that has a less treatment oriented approach.

http://diabetes.diabetesjournals.org/current.shtml

Their other medical journal is Diabetes Care.

http://care.diabetesjournals.org/current.shtml

Publishing these two journals is the only thing the ADA does that is not utter and total crap. However, it is worth noting they do NOT fund the research in these journals and that they profit from publishing them.
Thanks for clarifying that, amiga. We gotta give them credit for doing this. ;)
Manny, you asked about LADA. Here's some info:

There are many myths about Type 1 diabetes, and one of the principle myths is that it is a disease of childhood. Yet the knowledge that new-onset Type 1 diabetes is far more frequent in adults than in children is nothing new—I have a book published in 1958 (“How to Live With Diabetes” by Henry Dolger, M.D. and Bernard Seeman) that states that “[Type 1] diabetes is almost three times more frequent among young adults than among youngsters” and “the acute onset typical of childhood is not as common.” That was stated in 1958. Today, with antibody testing, the same statement is true. A new book, “Type 1 Diabetes in Adults: Principles and Practice” (Informa Healthcare, 2008) says that adult-onset autoimmune diabetes is two to three times more common than classic childhood onset autoimmune diabetes (p. 27).

Part of the problem that we who acquire Type 1 diabetes in adulthood have is that the American Diabetes Association pretends that we don’t exist (except for documentation in their peer-reviewed scientific journals), despite the fact that we greatly outnumber those with childhood onset Type 1 diabetes. . In information distributed to laypeople, ADA consistently says that Type 2 diabetes represents 90-95% of cases of diabetes in America and that Type 1 diabetes represents 5-10% of all cases of diabetes. However, this is false according to ADA’s own peer-reviewed scientific journals. That 90-95% Type 2 statistic includes people with latent autoimmune diabetes in adults (LADA), and according to the Expert Committee on the Diagnosis and Classification of Diabetes Mellitus (as published in ADA journals), "Although the specific etiologies of [Type 2] diabetes are not known, autoimmune destruction of beta-cells does not occur." Furthermore, the Expert Committee’s definition of Type 1 diabetes by the clearly encompasses all autoimmune diabetes, regardless of age, which includes LADA (“Type 1 diabetes results from a cellular-mediated autoimmune destruction of the beta-cells of the pancreas. In Type 1 diabetes, the rate of beta-cell destruction is quite variable, being rapid in some individuals (mainly infants and children) and slow in others (mainly adults).”) So, in fact, Type 1 diabetes represents about 20% of all people with diabetes if all who fit the definition of Type 1 are included.

In the United States of America, if you acquire Type 1 diabetes as an adult, you will find that few resources are available to you, the American Diabetes Association and Centers for Disease Control include you in statistics of Type 2 diabetics (a completely different disease than the one you have), you will be excluded from most Type 1 clinical trials if you are older than 45 (and your relatives will be excluded, too) and you are likely to receive substandard treatment in the time period that you are treated as if you have Type 2 diabetes, a completely different disease both clinically and genetically (there is also a profound lack of scientific rigor in failing to distinguish between Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes, when tests are available to make the correct diagnosis, and misdiagnosis in fact is malpractice). The high blood sugars that result from trying and failing with pills for Type 2 diabetes cause agony and suffering, not to mention hastening the complications of diabetes.

Melitta
I guess I am a typical type 1.5. It is comforting to finally have a name for this. I was 20 in 1966 and went in for a routine physical as I was changing colleges. I was thin as always, active, and had no family history. I was told that I couldn't have had the disease for more than a month. It had been caught early. Five years of oral medications followed and then insulin.
Dear Jan. Where your BG horrible with oral meds only?
thanks for this info everyone. it really helps me since i was initially diagnosed a T2 by my pcp, then went into hospital later the same week with kidney failure and was diagnosed as T1.

they call this 1.5 in the UK, i went from being diagnosed with type 2 to 1.5 within 4 years.
its strange because I have a very healthy life style and when i get new medication it works perfectly for a few months then stops working all together. 1.5 is exactly the same as 1 but the only difference is its still classed as adult onset diabetes.

x

Here in the U.S. we also have Type 1 and 1.5. My educator consider 1.5 also as a 1. Either way you look at it it's all Type 1.

I'm only an expert when it comes to my D but I did have a friend who many years ago was dxed as T2. As years went she was treated with orals and insulin...fast forward to 17 years later when she became very ill and was hospitalized. Finally she was dxed as LADA but going so long without correct dx damaged her physically. She was treated by regular MDs I advised her to get an Endo.

The bottom line is that we have to advocate for ourselves and with the help of websites like TuD the word will spread to be proactive and advocate for you Diabetes such as you are doing Aeon.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

DHF receives $200,000 grant from Novo Nordisk

Grant given to support programs aimed at bringing together people touched by diabetes for positive change BERKELEY, CA: December 4, 2014 – Diabetes Hands Foundation (DHF) has received a grant of US$200,000 from Novo Nordisk to support programs aimed at Read on! →

Guest Post: World Diabetes Day 2014 on Twitter… sifting through the data

At Symplur we track hashtags, keywords, user accounts, and pretty much anything else on Twitter that has to do with healthcare. We collect the data and then build countless ways to slice it up so that we’re able to better Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service