please refresh my memory...

when counting carbs using the "nutrition facts" label, do you add "sugars" to your carb count?? do you subtract fiber??

thanks!
myriah

Views: 470

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hmmm, but *then*, if it "drops too fast", you can have...more sugar!! Whee! Queen Frostine here we come!!
Haha yeah if you like roller coasters!!!! ;)
You have gotten good advice on your particular question, but let me just pipe in with a broader observation. And please don't take this as a criticism. Your question is "basic" and suggests that you are not an expert carb counter. You are not alone, lots of people "get by" without counting carbs, but you can achieve much better control by precisely dosing your mealtime insulin to your actual meal.

My suggestions is that you make it your mission to become an expert carb counter. You have a pump and it gives you very precise control over your insulin, yet without proper carb counts you cannot realize it's potential. I believe that you could become quite a competent carb counting with little effort and drop your A1c below 7%, perhaps dropping your A1c a whole percent. I do hope you would consider trying.

Here is what you could do. You could take a carb counting class at a local diabetes center. You can check out some basic books on carb counting from your local public library (look in the diabetes section). You could purchase "Advanced Carb Counting" by Scheiner (I got it in a three book deal with "Using Insulin" and "Think Like a Pancreas" on amazon). You could take Gary Scheiner's advanced course on carb counting at Type 1 University.

Give it some thought.
So many books to read! They have that at the library so I'll add it to my list of stuff to pick up!
thanks so much for all of ya'lls replies!!! ;-)

-myriah
I just learned something new. Thanks you guys I didn't know to subtract the fiber. Can someone explain why you subtract the fiber?
Fiber (in particular, dietary fiber) is by definition, not digestible. When the macronutrients of a food are measured, fiber is put into the carbohydrate bin. So a general rule allows us to subtract out the carbs that can't be digested, namely the fiber.

That is the simple story. I have a long story, but we shall have to leave that for later.
Thanks for the info I really appreciate it.
I realise the OP was from the US (and all the answers so far) but can I point out that labelling is a bit different on products in the EU, and I believe this can also apply to products imported to the US from the EU.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_energy
This wiki page shows a UK label for rice
Carbohydarate 76g
of which sugars 0.4
(no difference to in the US)
Further down the label:
Fibre 1g.
This fibre has already been deducted from the carbs.
Doesn't make any real difference in this example but I remember reading about a packet of high fibre crackers from Sweden. but bought in the US.
They had more grams of fibre listed than carbohydrate ,people were subtracting the fibre and then wondering about these magical no carb crackers!

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

TuDiabetes Is Getting A Makeover!

Written By Emily Coles, TuDiabetes Community Manager. Last summer we surveyed members of TuDiabetes and EsTuDiabetes online communities, and gained some GREAT insights! We learned that our members are happy with the information and support they receive on TuDiabetes and Read on! →

An eye opening experience at @CWDiabetes!

Last month, I had one of the most amazing experiences I have had with technology since I have been living with diabetes. It happened at the Focus On Technology conference organized by Children With Diabetes in Los Angeles (the first Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service