Hi guys :)
Does anyone know of/use a cgm here in australia? Do they leave you out of pocket a hell of a lot? Im into triathlons and wouldnt mind having a waterproof one but im having trouble sourcing one, let alone one that is affordable. I have inlaws that live in chicago, im tempted to find out how much they are in america but im hesitating because i presume access to the consumables of a cgm wouldnt be worth it. Thanks.

Views: 564

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I was wondering the same thing, have you found any more info?
Thanks

medtronic have one, but very pricey...about 6k

Oh right, and that goes with the pump doesn't it? can it be used by itself? and no consumables are funded right? how much are they per month do you know? sorry for 20 questions! Did you not get one in the end?

you can buy it with a medtronic pump as an extra. I cant remember the price of some of the consumables, i believe the insertion thingy was about $750. 1 patch which lasts about 4 days is $80. They can be used by themselves though yep. We have to foot the bill with all CGM stuff. And no i didnt get one, much too expensive. Would love one though.

Wow. That is crazy! I was looking at the Dexecom 7 and the patches they sell last 7 days, which is a bit better.
Yea, that sounds way to expensive. Same here, it would be amazing. Its so sad how in America/UK (sure they have more people, but still) that they have opportunities to get all of that. Sad that something which will help our health, and mean less impact on the system is something not at all funded!

I am in Melbourne and I have the Medtronic Minilink system, linked to my Paradigm 554 Pump.
Purchased March 2012, on special for $990.00 (approx)
Enlite sensors cost $75.00 each, are certified for 6 days but for me last about 12 days. So far, sadly, none of this is covered by health insurance or NDSS.
Cannot visualise a future without it.

Greg, so after the initial $1k, you pay $75 a fortnight basically to use a cgm? How do you find minimeds sensor? Accurate? Do you feel like a bit of a robot with an extra 'thing' attached?

Yes, that is the cost which, hopefully, will only go down.
The accuracy of the sensor is directly related to the accuracy of the calibration process which you must carry out 2-4 times a day with a regular Glucometer.
This is not as straight forward as it seems, and takes some time to get it correct.
Also, the information you get from the CGMS is delayed about 15mins from real time.
Yes, I do feel a bit like a cyborg and juggling skin real estate is something I am still getting used to.
CGMS is not a magic bullet, you need to have carb counting, basal adjustment, bolus adjustment and all the other diabetic basics clearly understood, not neccessarily under control, before you might benefit from a CGMS.
If you haven't done it, I would highly reccommend DAFNE training.
Also, have a look at hypoactive.org.au to see what other Australian diabetic atheletes are up to.

how did you get the CGM so cheap?!

I purchased my CGMS transmitter from Medtronic, Australia, on special for $999.00
The Enlite sensors cost $375.00 for a box of 5.
None of this seems particularly cheap to me.

Oh no I meant how usually they cost around $3000 dont they. so was meaning it was a good special!

In Australia the regular price is $1200.00
Medtronic will only deliver the CGMS transmitter and first batch of sensors to a Diabetes Educator to ensure that you are properly trained in its use.
Prior to a recent trip to NZ, I checked the price of pump consumables and was suprised at how expensive everything was, so the price of $3000 you were thinking of may be an NZ price.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

A Snapshot: Diabetes In The United States

An infographic explaining the most recent CDC diabetes figures, released in June 2014.

Will you Stand Hand in Hand in support of the Diabetes Hands Foundation?

Facing Diabetes Together Will you Stand Hand in Hand in support of  the Diabetes Hands Foundation? When you make a gift to the Diabetes Hands Foundation you help people with diabetes make positive changes in their lives. We believe that no Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service