Has anyone encountered any issues with checking their blood sugar or their kids blood sugar in public.

There is a close family member who seems to take offence and says it bothers her and many others that I check my blood sugar with my glucometer and my son's blood sugar in public. She expects that we should go to the washroom to check our blood sugar except if we are low (of course, my son does not always know he is low unless he checks his sugar so how does that even make sense).

When in a restaurant, I discreetly check my blood sugar on my lap under the table but with my son I put his meter on the table and he checks it himself.

Personally, I will check my sugar whenever and wherever I want/need to despite whether or not it makes others uncomfortable. I find that in today's day and age this is unbelievable and this IS A FAMILY MEMBER on my husband's side of the family!!!

Since my father, brother, myself and my son are all Type 1 diabetics no one in my family would even say such a thing.

Just curious to other diabetics experiences.

Thanks,

Jodi

Tags: 1, Blood, General, Type, blood, diabetes, glucometer, glucose, sugar, testing

Views: 2129

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My son is T1. We check his sugar right at the table. Who wants to go in a nasty bathroom? We have never had anyone say anthing mean to us. We have had some waitress or waiters ask him questions though, and he just explains that he has to check his sugar and take his insulin.We have had even other diabetics comment on how much insulin etc. I have always tried to tell my son that it's just part of who he is, If they don't like it, thats their problem. He checks his sugar in his classroom, before lunch at school, his classmates think he is brave. I know he is my hero. Don't make anyone make you hid in a nasty bathroom.

That's awesome!!

This is so well said. Without realizing it folks who have diabetes are really great role models of how to take adversity, and turn it into something positive by accepting the challenge, and persevering by taking care of themselives and educating. And when someone asks questions about it, instead of being offended, it really is an opportunity for all of you to educate someone about it. You never know if that person might encounter someone else who has diabetes, and has the opportunity to tell him or her about how your story inspired them! Like it or not, you all are really diabetes ambassadors. Great story, Mom!

That sounds offensive that other people find it offensive that we need to check it in public. My boss said it nasty that i just pull my machine out and poke myself so i told him nobody told you to look if it bothers u that much turn around or close your eyes im not going to leave where i am i didnt ask for this problem so since i have it u can put up with it or shut up.

We test and inject wherever and whenever he needs to. At the beginning, he would try to hide it a bit and do it in his lap, but now he just does it. We've gotten some looks, but never any comments.

I would be very angry if someone suggested we take care of him in the bathroom. I think I would suggest they go eat in the bathroom.

I check where ever and I don't care if someone looks at me. If I am low I am more likely to say something to them that is rude but I feel like any time is a teaching/ learning experance for anyone. I have checked in the middle of class at college in the check out asile at target. When we go out to dinner I check it when the server gets our drinks. Sometimes they see me do it and ask if I need my food faster and then some just blow it off. I am not afraid to show it

Yes, I did once have a friend who got grossed out, so nowadays, I just tell people I'm going to do it, and if they don't like it, just don't look. THEY certainly have enough control of their eye motion to direct their gaze away for a few moments!

That's so annoying and used to really bother me when I was younger, on MDI and more self conscious about being "different". I didn't ask for diabetes and if there was a cure I'd be signed up in a heartbeat. Testing is a part of my life and I won't excuse that for anyone. If you don't like it, don't watch, and pray you will never personally know what it's like to live with diabetes.

I used to be squeamish about doing anything diabetes-related in public (treating low, checking sugar, etc.) but, you know, it's part of my life, and I think I have every right to do it in public. Of course, I'm not obscene about it: I don't jump up on a restaurant table and take bets on my BG, but there's no reason I shouldn't be able to do it in public.

As a breastfeeding mama, I can't help but chuckle at all the parallels to testing in public and nursing in public. People says it's gross, do that in the bathroom, no one wants to see that, etc. Heh. I say, anywhere, anytime for testing or breastfeeding. It's necessary and if others don't like it, they can choose to look somewhere else.

Its rediculous if its a family member that finds it uncomfortable. I guess now you know it bothers them, you do it in a different room when they are around. My husband is decreet and even has given himmself insulin shots in a restaurant. I doubt if those there even notice. This family member shouldn't be upset by this, but if they are, its probably best not to do it in the room when they are there I guess

I ALSO TEST IN PUBLIC EITHER ON A STORE COUNTER OR AT THE TABLE BEFORE I EAT.AT MY SYNAGUOGUE 1 LADY DOES NOT LIKE WHAT I DO SO I TRY TO EXPLAIN & TEACH WHY BUT SHE THINKS SHE KNOWS BETTER.WHO CARES.I HAVE TO TAKE CARE OF MYSELF.PERIOD.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

A Snapshot: Diabetes In The United States

An infographic explaining the most recent CDC diabetes figures, released in June 2014.

Will you Stand Hand in Hand in support of the Diabetes Hands Foundation?

Facing Diabetes Together Will you Stand Hand in Hand in support of  the Diabetes Hands Foundation? When you make a gift to the Diabetes Hands Foundation you help people with diabetes make positive changes in their lives. We believe that no Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service