Has anyone encountered any issues with checking their blood sugar or their kids blood sugar in public.

There is a close family member who seems to take offence and says it bothers her and many others that I check my blood sugar with my glucometer and my son's blood sugar in public. She expects that we should go to the washroom to check our blood sugar except if we are low (of course, my son does not always know he is low unless he checks his sugar so how does that even make sense).

When in a restaurant, I discreetly check my blood sugar on my lap under the table but with my son I put his meter on the table and he checks it himself.

Personally, I will check my sugar whenever and wherever I want/need to despite whether or not it makes others uncomfortable. I find that in today's day and age this is unbelievable and this IS A FAMILY MEMBER on my husband's side of the family!!!

Since my father, brother, myself and my son are all Type 1 diabetics no one in my family would even say such a thing.

Just curious to other diabetics experiences.

Thanks,

Jodi

Tags: 1, Blood, General, Type, blood, diabetes, glucometer, glucose, sugar, testing

Views: 2057

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

WHY SHOULD I HIDE WHAT I NEED TO DO TO STAY HEALTHY & ALIVE?I NEED TO TEST,BOLUS & THEN EAT.

I guess because I was just diagnosed, and the fact I am shy to begin with.. I hate testing in public as of right now. I'm OK with it now at school, but I'm with a bunch of vet students! They don't care, but I warn whoever's around me just in case.

I don't let anyone watch me give myself injections either, because it still feels strange.

I imagine one of these days, I won't care anymore and will be testing and bolusing whenever, wherever.

If someone says something, oh well.

When i was first diagnosed i would stay in the vehicle before entering a restaurant cause there was no way i would give injections in the rest room, way toooooo disgusting. when i started the pump all was good, my daughter and i would go in get food, find a table, test and eat. a few times people would stare, big deal, my daughter noticed and her sugar was low and she was so crabby that she looked at the people and said "Do you have a question that you want to know or do you want to tell us your medical history, maybe you have your surgeries in the rest room!" The people apologized for staring and a few other tables chuckled. One couple there was diabetic and before they left they thanked my daughter for the new strategy for handling people that stare. We do what we have to do and what we are comfortable doing at the time, to bad to the rest that dont understand. What would they do if it was them or are they and they dont care enough to take care of it.

Do what you have to do and if people dont like it ask them to leave. why do you always have to leave?

Good Luck and God Bless us all
Kat

GOOD FOR YOU, SO DO I.

Just another opinion: If the person objects, tell them to take a hike. You are entitled under ADA to take care of yourself without unnecessary hassle. A large number of times, my servers will ask if I need a container to dispose of my strip and lancet. I reply, yes, that will help me protect you, my server. Another customer in a restaurant objected, and told me to go to the restroom. I responded the restroom was filthy and refused. They called the manager. Because of my earlier (previous visits), the manager supported me and said he agreed the table was better than the restroom.

My bottom line, tell the family member next time they do something disgusting and they will, it bothers you and they should control themselves better. <>

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

#OpposeAB1893: California Bill that Burdens People with Diabetes on Insulin

A couple of days ago I learned that the California State Assembly is considering AB-1893 Sharps waste, which in (if approved) will mandate that: “Sharps sold to the general public in California shall be sold with a sharps waste container Read on! →

FDA Docket Extended! We Need You.

If you are new to diabetes advocacy in the traditional sense of the word, you may be thinking, “What the heck is a docket!?” I certainly was the first twenty times I heard it (yes it took that long). For Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Heather Gabel
(Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator
Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators
Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service