I'm a fairly new Type 1 Diabetic, and just started taking a college yoga class. When I have to check my glucose level, I feel a little worried as to what people will think about me. I'm fine checking it at work..etc, but checking it in a room full of strangers makes me feel uncomfortable. Should I just not care what people think?

Views: 641

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I want to add that I think it's more inconspiuous than going to the bathroom and setting yourself up on the vanity. That freaks people out.

Thanks everyone! I'm learning to not care as much now, as to what other people think. :)

I think of what they would think, if they knew that im not taking good care of my condition because of what i think they think. And then i dont worry :).

I have got rid of my bg case and strapped the strips, meter and finger pricker with a rubber band to be able to test in under 10 seconds every time. Look

it is amazing, but many, many people don't even notice when we test! test away! it's way better than having a low in front of people. i hate that.

I test in public all of the time. If someone asks me, I show them what I am doing. I think of it as a teaching moment. Before I got my pump, I would take my shots in front of everybody. If someone objected, I told them to look the other way.

I test in public frequently, but I try not to announce it by action or make a big deal of it. We have to test. It is part of a diabetic lifestyle. I really don't care about what others think of me at that point. If they accept me, they get the whole package, diabetes and all.

If I am at a table, such as a restaurant or at a conference, I will do it in my lap, under the table. If I can turn away from the crowd, I will do that.

Please don't feel bad about testing. This is your well-being.

Be well.

Brian Wittman

Ah, I have been there, lafashionaddict. Well, not yoga specifically, but being embarrassed by testing in public. When I was a child I was *mortified* to do anything - testing, injecting, anything that would make me stand out - in public. I have grown out of that, though, out of necessity. I now test at work, at restaurants, before my dance class, etc. It's just something I have learned that I need to do, just like I need to prick myself with needles, which I would also rather not do. I have occasionally had someone look at me. I usually just ignore them. But most of the time, as many people have said here, people are too busy with their own lives to notice.

You gotta do what you gotta do.

If somebody stops what they are doing to tie a shoe to avoid tripping & getting hurt, nobody bats an eye. It should be the same with a BG test. It might be unusual, but it is just as reasonable and necessary.

Honestly, I am still a little bit skittish about doing it in public. I try to avoid it whenever possible. But at the same time, you certainly should not put your health in danger in any way over such an issue. Check whenever you feel you need to check...you will be proud of yourself in the long run.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Diabetes Among Hispanics: We’re not all the same

US Hispanics are often portrayed in the press as a single, monolithic group. But anyone who has spent any time in San Francisco’s Mission District or the Bronx can tell you, we’re not all the same. Now we’re finding out Read on! →

Diabetes entre los hispanos: no somos todos iguales

Traducido por Mila Ferrer.    A menudo los Hispanos en Estados Unidos son retratados en la prensa como un solo grupo, monolítico. Pero cualquiera que haya pasado algún tiempo en el  Mission District de San Francisco o el Bronx se Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service