I am just wondering if anyone else has issues with Chinese food. I have found that every time I eat it I'm SUPER high. I end up taking 3 times my normal dose of insulin and just wondering if I'm the only one.

I tend to not overeat and have even ordered simple things like chicken and rice (nothing with sloppy sugary dips).

I'm ok with thai food and japanese, just seems to be something with Chinese food.

Views: 991

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

When I went out to eat with my son (Sig71, who posted above) I ordered the beef with sugar snap peas, it was served over rice, and I only ate half of the container that it was served in, and brought the rest home. However my blood sugar ran from low 300's to mid-200's the rest of the day, even after multiple boluses and an increased basal for 5 hours. I felt like I was on steroids! I threw the rest away, didn't think it was worth the hassle.

Dan, I would love to see some of those recipes for the spicy broth with the beef or fish, and also any of your eggplant recipes. We cook a lot of our own Chines food and I'm always looking for some new recipes.

http://www.tudiabetes.org/group/lowcarbrecipeswap

wow, awesome a1c you have there!

Marie, here is a recipe for the dish which Dan mentioned. The only carb in the dish is the three teaspoons of cornstarch, which isn't a huge amount in the overall scheme of things.

The literal translation of the Chinese name, shui zhu rou, is 'boiled meat' but the actual dish is slices of usually beef, in a volcanic eruption of chillies. It is *seriously* spicy.

thanks! looks great, and I keep chili bean paste and Szchewan peppercorns. nice website too, didn't know about it.

Hi Marie - my wife is like a magician - there are no recipes. my mother has tried to get her to write some things down with no avail. it's always based on what's in the fridge and what's fresh at the grocery store. What i can tell you is most dishes start by sauteing garlic, peppers, and ginger in hot oil for a few minutes until the garlic is golden, then she adds lots of veges (probably 4+ cups of what ever is on the menu) and a splash of soy sauce. the veges cook down in a few minutes and the juices that come out make up the remainder of the sauce.

for eggplant - i never know what's going on either, i just know i pretty much like it no matter how it's made in a chinese kitchen. i lived in china for almost 4 years and eggplant quickly became one of my favorite foods, and this was before i had to change my diet for diabetes. Next time you're in a chinese restaurant i would recommend just asking about some of the eggplant dishes and picking whatever sounds best, or maybe try online. a quick search turns up hot and sour eggplant - only one tablespoon of sugar for 4 servings - http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Hot-and-Sour-Chinese-Eggplant/Detail.a.... there are a few more on that site that are low carb and highly rated - just type in chinese eggplant. the szechuan eggplant and the eggplant with garlic sauce also look like good options. there's some sugar in them, but pretty low on a per-serving basis. sorry, wish i could be more helpful!

another good tip if you try the shui zhu rou - take home the broth, you can make it yourself usually two times later in the week. we get takeout and wind up getting three dinners out of it. she just slices up a bit more fish or meat and throws it in the broth. another tip - watch out for the small things that look like peppercorns. they make your mouth numb and tingly, some love it, some hate it.

as for the A1Cs - yes, it's possible to have a low A1C and eat lots of chinese food. most nights i can take 2 units of apidra and eat my fill of veges with a little meat or tofu. i go 3 units if there's brocoli, green beans, snap peas, or carrots. usually don't spike over 110 this way at 1 hour, then back to around 90 after 2 hours.

i definitely agree that restaurants can be much more tricky, put possible if you stay away from the sauces and the rice. when i go to a chinese restaurant i might take around 4 units to cover around 25g carbs and try to eat to my dose, then check an hour later. if it's a little higher than i'd like, a short after-dinner stroll gets things back under control.

by the way, about the sugary sauces, very few dishes in china are made that way - it just seems that way here because they cater to the local market. if the option is available, try to find out where chinese people eat and ask for some recommendations, given your dietary needs. i've taken a few friends and family around china and they all say - wow, so this is chinese food? where are the sugary sauces? where's general tso?!?

I actually like a lot of the braised and stewed chinese styles. We often associate chinese food with stir fried over rice or noodle based dishes. And this may well be the vast majority of what is available in the "cheap" chinese places, it hardly reflects the range of chinese or asian food. Chinese food is highly varied and there is a great deal of chinese food which is actually low carb. Many dishes like this which can be prepared or ordered in "real" asian restaurants, but these are often not as available in the US and you may need to take some risks ordering.

When cooking at home, one can substitute konjac powder (also called glucomanan). I always mix it with "cold" water before adding to any sauce, it seems to work more powerfully than cornstarch.

Try to stay away from Chinese as best I can. If I do eat it, I keep the noodles and rice to a minimum. It's generally tough to count carbs for since much of it usually smothered in some sugary sauce. When I do eat it, my rule is to focus on the least carb intensive stuff and add a few extra insulin units to what I'd normally do.

For me, Chinese food is right up there with bread, rice, and pasta. I just stay away.

Yes, Chinese food does it every time. I usually do a Combo Bolus, and check like mad afterwards. Thai food does not seem to effect me quite so bad.

One isse w/ Chinese food is the "serving size". If you go to the Asian wing of a museum, the rice bowls are small. I vaguely recall Marco Polo commenting on the little bowls and chopsticks when he visited China. Perhaps catering to US notions of "serving size", a lot of places here give you like 4-5 servings of rice, in a big mound, and a giant bowl with more for when that runs out. We will eat leftover rice for a week after we go out for Chinese food.

Has anyone ever had the courage to ask their Chinese take away for the information?
I rarely order it, but do order the same dishes every time when I do. I've never actually asked them.

I find it's such a massive number that I chicken out and take a few less units and end up high.

I never mastered eating Chinese foods ...just like dragon boating and having high or low numbers :), which I gave up . I will have to put my mind into : " not being at the effect of BG readings " , so just maybe one day I'll push through and the pump will have to be my buddy with the square wave bolus set up .

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

A Snapshot: Diabetes In The United States

An infographic explaining the most recent CDC diabetes figures, released in June 2014.

Will you Stand Hand in Hand in support of the Diabetes Hands Foundation?

Facing Diabetes Together Will you Stand Hand in Hand in support of  the Diabetes Hands Foundation? When you make a gift to the Diabetes Hands Foundation you help people with diabetes make positive changes in their lives. We believe that no Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service