Just wanted to get some opinions, I just had bloodwork done at the start of July and my numbers were:

Total 4.31 mmol/l (78 mg/dl)
Trig 1.39 mmol/l (25 mg/dl)
HDL 0.89 mmol/l (16 mg/dl)
LDL 2.79 mmol/l (50 mg/dl)
Ratio 4.84

My endocrinologist wants to put me on 5 mg of Crestor to get my LDL below 2.0. Does anyone have any personal experience with lifestyle & diet changes that have helped bring down their LDL and/or raise HDL?

I was diagnosed type 2 in about September of 2009 with an A1C of 12.3 and weighing in at about 245 lbs. For the last 12 months my weight has been around 185 and my A1C's have both been 5.9 this year, most of those changes have been due to a healthy diet. This summer I have started to be much more active so I am hoping that helps throw the numbers in line a little also.

As always thanks for any advice & experiences that are shared!

Views: 99

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You've used the blood sugar conversion factor to convert from mm/ol to mg/dl. The conversion is not the same for lipids. So the mg/dl conversion of your mm/ol figures are:

Total 4.31 mm/ol (166 mg/dl)
Trig 1.39 (123)
HDL 0.89 (34)
LDL 2.79 (107)
Thanks for pointing that out, I didn't realize there would be a difference as the measurement units were common.
If you check out the Bernstein group, a bunch of people have lowered theirs by going low carb. I don’t know if that is something you are interested in. Have your numbers improved any with the weight loss?

My cholesterol started going up when my thyroid went out of whack. I started taking Red Yeast Rice – it is an OTC supplement that has some of the ingredients in statins in but not all the nasty side effects. That did bring my numbers back in normal ranges. I haven’t been taking it but my numbers improved even more on lower carb – I was doing about 90 grams per day before and now about 45-60.
Hi, I was diagnosed type 2 in 2004 with a a1c of 10.5, my total cholesterol was 234, hdl 40 ldl 117 trig 387, I changed my diet to the dash diet, lost 150 lbs in 1 1/2 years, have maintained the weight loss for six years, my yearly a1c test for the last 6 years has been 4.2
my last cholesterol test couple months ago was hdl 68 ldl 84 trig 61, total cholesterol 164. The lifestyle and diet changes has been totally responsible for turning my health around. I was able to stop taking medications for both diabetes and hypertension within a short time of changing my diet and starting an exercise routine, but I was not on any medication for cholesterol.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

#OpposeAB1893: California Bill that Burdens People with Diabetes on Insulin

A couple of days ago I learned that the California State Assembly is considering AB-1893 Sharps waste, which in (if approved) will mandate that: “Sharps sold to the general public in California shall be sold with a sharps waste container Read on! →

FDA Docket Extended! We Need You.

If you are new to diabetes advocacy in the traditional sense of the word, you may be thinking, “What the heck is a docket!?” I certainly was the first twenty times I heard it (yes it took that long). For Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Heather Gabel
(Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator
Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators
Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service