And allows her to consume massive quantities of junk food. Perhaps this says more about the food available in hospitals however the story doesn't give me warm fuzzies? Also noting the vast amount of stuff plugged into Erin's abdomen which is quite a bit smaller than mine?

I suppose some of the gizmos are "scientific" as opposed to "operational" in nature and it seems like the scientists involved are optimistic however I am doing ok w/ the 2 things currently plugged into my abdomen and am not sure 6 things at whatever as yet to be announced cause is a huge improvement? I can sort of perceive that perhaps there's other things that could be done for patients, e.g. self-treating the hypo, rather than going to the office and calling mom for a hypo? That seems cumbersome however perhaps that's part of the school bureaucracy that would be able to be changed? Schools are squidgy these days. I can't imagine having to deal with one.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/03/04/health/artificial-pancreas/index.html...

I won't paste the whole article here however the # of things and the problems with the school seem to leap out at me. There's probably other things too however I don't want to be too cranky without more medical inforamation about how well the gizmo processes bacon cheeseburgers.

Views: 1169

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Shaheen didn't have to set her alarm to wake up every three hours at night because the device was designed to catch a dangerously high or low blood sugar and treat it.

"For the first time since she was diagnosed, I didn't have to worry," says Shaheen, who lives in Portsmouth, New Hampshire.

I have nothing but admiration for parents of kids with Type 1. However, I have noticed a trend recently where it seems to be quite common for parents to wake up multiple times EVERY single night to test children's blood sugar, and I have to wonder: is that REALLY necessary for anyone older than, say, a toddler?

I know children's blood sugar can change fast, but this never happened when I was a kid. Sure, parents woke up on occasion if their kid was low going to bed or had exercised the night before or had another specific reason to think there might be a low (and as an adult, I still do this). But not multiple times every single night. And this was on NPH—where the risk of lows was significantly greater than it is now with MDI and (especially) pumps.

Maybe the "helicopter parent" syndrome has extended to diabetes care?

As far as pump settings go, kids insulin needs DO change constantly, so it's not necessarily just a matter of finding their one correct ratio and having that work from then on. But still, testing multiple times per night seems excessive to me. I've noticed the parents-waking-up-to-test trend seems to happen a LOT these days—i.e., it's not just this one article that's mentioned it, but if you go browse parent forums or read other articles about kids with Type 1, it's also mentioned.

The issue of testing, injecting or using a pump, and treating lows in class and such is not a problem with the teachers, it's a problem with school district and/or federal/provincial policy (depending on which country you live in). It's a widespread problem that is not limited to this child's one school or one teacher.

I'm a teacher and "helicopter parent" is definitely a familiar concept for me!

@Alan - funny quote in that wiki: the cell phone being called "the world's longest umbilical cord". That describes my sister and her daughters to a T.

I've noticed the "wake up in the middle of the night" trend too. It has got to be hard but I don't ever wake up in the middle of the night. Before I started working out all the time, I used to wake up in the middle of the night but since then (maybe 2007?) I don't ever wake up as I've worn myself out most of the time since then.

Re the "ratio" point, if she's 12 now and was dx'ed four years ago, she's probably gained like 30-50% of body weight in that time, not to mention the potential for hormones to be more involved that probably make it tough to get "an" insulin to carb ratio? A lot of parent reports@ Tu, not to mention adult reports, suggest that it's not all that easy to do?

I wonder how much of it is the journalist trying to manufacture some "punch" in their story?

I agree and I too was on NPH and Regular and my parents never woke up multiple times during the night to check me. Maybe if I wasn't feeling well, or if my BG had been really wonky they would, but not just as a routine everynight thing, heck even today if I get around to checking at midnight Im doing good. Maybe people just "know" better now, but I too find it interesting.

There have been a few studies lately about children not waking for hypoglycemia during the night. I can't find the exact one right now, it was linked on the front page of Children With Diabetes Website. Really all it took was one night my gut telling me to test and having to wake him up to treat a low. We've caught a couple of undetected lows from night time testing. It has had greater benefit for catching and treating highs (above 300) instead of spending 9 hrs at that number.
I only test my son once at night, unless something else is going on.
I decided that most of the information in the article was exaggerated for effect.

Is the risk of not waking up for lows restricted to children, or does it apply to everyone with Type 1 diabetes? I'd think your risk of not waking up from a low would actually increase the older you got (and longer you had diabetes).

I think testing once overnight is reasonable, especially for a younger child. Heck, if I can't get to sleep or wake up in the middle of the night for any reason I always test, and sometimes will find myself high (more often than finding myself low). I do have to get quite low before I wake up (like around 2.2 mmol/L or 40 mg/dl), so if I do randomly catch an overnight low then I'll test for the next few nights, but not forever.

I think the risk of lows for kids today is probably much less than it was 15-20+ years ago. What's probably changed is that parents see articles like the one you mentioned and get all freaked out and then (in some cases) go overboard with their reaction.

Awwww, makes me sad to read all of these posts about parents checking their children several times a night and the reference to them as "helicopter parents" or whatever (first time hearing that term). My 6 yr old dtr was dx'd at 4 1/2 yrs old and I have checked her bg at 2am EVERY night since and sometimes more. She's very stable for the most part, has a great A1C, and can't really identify a low blood sugar. I think she has complained of feeling "wobbly" 5 times or less when she was actually low. We have caught some bg in the 40's in the middle of the night and there was no reason (exercise, sickness, changes in pump settings) to anticipate that. I checked her last night at 10p, 12p, and 2a. She was recently sick and her pump settings have changed quite a bit since then. She was in the 120's all night but I need to know that. I don't mind it at all because she's my little girl and I want her to be safe. Apparently it's just a handful of kids/adults who don't wake up because of a hypo but it won't be my dtr you read about. We have also caught highs in the middle of the night (for what reason who knows as we all know this disease can be unpredictable) and corrected instead of her sleeping all night at 300. Once she was 500+ so obviously her pump wasn't working. Injection, pump change, and back to normal. Got up, went to school in the morning instead of getting up and going to the hospital......
She is also well taken care of at school. Those assigned to her care to a VERY good job and follow the orders written by the endo. Yet, are very flexible "she's gonna have 6 M&M's in class this morning. do you want to bolus or just check her after recess". The answer is "let her have 'em and check her at her usual mid morning check" and they know this but they have to call anyway. The only time I go to school is to change her pump if it alarms. I hope this isn't being a "helicopter parent" :( but if it is I guess I'm okay with that.
Obviously I would rather have a cure than an AP but beggars can't be choosers so if an AP comes out then GREAT! But I'll still get up and check her at least once a night until she goes to college......

My daugther is 3,5 years old, 2 years type 1.
Everynight 12PM, almost always 2am to see trend and insulin (long) tails and sometimes 4am too.
She surely doesn't feel low/high, she just sleeps and you don't know.
When I don't wake up, it's because she is high and I know I cannot correct her BG and recheck at 2-4 hours because I'm too tired, so I leave her BG as is.
We are under lantus, but I know parents using micro which do the same, 'cause you set lower targets and it's easy to run low (hormones up and down, played too much during day, the wind blows and whatsoever).

My be I'm an helicopter parent, but you would be either.

This is why every parent of a child with T1 should hire a menopausal woman as a live-in nanny. We can't sleep for more than 3 or 4 hours at a stretch anyway -- might as well use us for the middle-of-the-night testing. Sigh.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

DHF Partners with HelpAround in an Effort to Connect People Touched by Diabetes

Leer en español Technology has the amazing ability to ease the stress associated with diabetes; It simply makes our lives a little more bearable. That’s why we are excited to announce DHFs partnership with HelpAround. This new application will help Read on! →

La Diabetes Hands Foundation y HelpAround uniendo las personas tocadas por la diabetes

Para nuestra comunidad de diabetes la tecnología ha venido a llenar muchos vacíos y a hacer de nuestras vidas un poco mas llevaderas. Eso mismo nos proporciona una nueva aplicación de geo-localización llamada HelpAround (Ayuda a tu alrededor). HA Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service