And allows her to consume massive quantities of junk food. Perhaps this says more about the food available in hospitals however the story doesn't give me warm fuzzies? Also noting the vast amount of stuff plugged into Erin's abdomen which is quite a bit smaller than mine?

I suppose some of the gizmos are "scientific" as opposed to "operational" in nature and it seems like the scientists involved are optimistic however I am doing ok w/ the 2 things currently plugged into my abdomen and am not sure 6 things at whatever as yet to be announced cause is a huge improvement? I can sort of perceive that perhaps there's other things that could be done for patients, e.g. self-treating the hypo, rather than going to the office and calling mom for a hypo? That seems cumbersome however perhaps that's part of the school bureaucracy that would be able to be changed? Schools are squidgy these days. I can't imagine having to deal with one.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/03/04/health/artificial-pancreas/index.html...

I won't paste the whole article here however the # of things and the problems with the school seem to leap out at me. There's probably other things too however I don't want to be too cranky without more medical inforamation about how well the gizmo processes bacon cheeseburgers.

Views: 1171

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

HA HA..You are right Laguitariste. This post menopausal honey is up betwen 2:30-4:00 am almost every morning..sometimes I check my blood glucose and sometimes not.. I usually go to the computer and Tudiabetes..like right now at 4:00 am EST

God Bless,
Brunetta

Yep! What a wasted resource we are! I could check several dozen people's BGs before I could fall back asleep for the next little stretch. I recently had a BIG day at a guitar festival (fourteen hours of go-go-go from door to door) and slept nine hours in a row. I couldn't believe it. Nine hours! It was like winning the Sleep Lottery! ;0)

I've read a number of stories of children with diabetes dying at night, and the impression I get is that they don't know exactly what is killing them. One mysterious thing is that they seem to be just asleep -- their pillows and sheets are not wet from sweat, and the bedclothes are undisturbed. I think this unknown factor makes it MORE scary for parents, not less, because you don't know if your child has this unknown susceptibility or not -- it could be a low accompanied by a heart conduction defect or something else, and no one knows.

So, I think every parent has to do what gives them peace of mind, because a child's life is just too precious to risk. And even then, no one can predict what's going to happen, so please take the time to love your sweet ones as much and as often as you can! :-)

That business of her having to call her mother when she was having a low is ridiculous. But I have to tell you that schools worry more about liability issues than about children's (or staff's) health. And then you have the school nurses association, which was arguing that only a nurse should be allowed to give a child an insulin shot -- again ridiculous in an era when most schools DON'T have full-time nurses. If a parent can learn to give shots, why can't a health aide?

I was also wondering about what I saw on her belly -- I think I saw a Medtronic sensor, but was there a Dexcom sensor too? Getting input from 2 different sources is an interesting idea.

And the other thing I'm wondering about is, algorithms. Predictive alerts are well and good, but what if the machine predicts that you're going high, and gives insulin, but you level off instead (I do that) and then it sends you low? And is there currently any kind of glucagon that lasts as long as 3 days?

More questions than answers! And I DO agree that while an artificial pancreas is a fun idea, getting adequate treatment to the folks who currently are being neglected is higher on my priority list, too! :-)

I suspect the other gizmos plugged in are "aftermarket" gear that the lab cooked up on their own, probably correlated with the "commercial grade" stuff, to see if they can make it work together? I'm totally guessing though?

I really only want one if they can guarantee it will beat me.

I'd suggest that you challenge them to a duel, but it's not nice to make researchers cry.

Anyone remember when an insulin pump wasn't a practicle treatment?

http://www.tudiabetes.org/forum/topics/first-insulin-pump

If they're going to make them bulky, they should at least make 'em cute:

a. I think that the media is going a little too far with this. I mean, it is a neat thing, but not exactly a "cure". Still, if the FDA approves this, it would make diabetes a good deal easier.

b. It does look as though Elle and her mom could back off a little. Waking up every three hours every night is not only hard for her mom, it also disturbs Elle's sleep. Maybe a pump or some sort of change would be good for them (although it looks as though she might already have one). You'd think that after four years, they would have solved this night-time issue.

p.s. Did anyone else feel like saying, "big deal" when Elizabeth Cohen said how Elle was testing 10-12 times a day and sometimes had lows and had to give herself insulin?

> p.s. Did anyone else feel like saying, "big deal" when Elizabeth Cohen
> said how Elle was testing 10-12 times a day and sometimes had
> lows and had to give herself insulin?

My two cents: I think it's a valid window into how someone who is not a PWD (person with diabetes) may view things. A lot of focus on some discrete tasks, like shots and bg tests, without a good broader view.

Yep. I always feel like laughing now -- and not a very nice laugh -- when people say (in that Minnie-Mouse horrified sympathy voice), "Oh, I don't see how you can stick yourself with a needle!"

I just think, "Honey, you have no idea how minor a needle poke is in the grand scheme of things that completely suck about having diabetes!!!"

I try to remind myself that people simply don't know what they don't know -- and there are millions of things that I don't know. It's good to hold on to humility about it; otherwise, resentment can creep in.

Very true about how insignificant needle pokes are, but when speaking to a non-D, you sometimes need to speak in a language they understand. And it is hard to understand that some people will never know what a 300 BG feels like, or how tough carb counting is, or how - even when you do everything right - things sometimes go horribly wrong.

I'm not sure if, by resentment, you mean resenting diabetes or resenting other peoples' inability to "get it", but as people with diabetes we've got to fight the tendency to do both.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

#MedicareCoverCGM Panel Discussion

If you follow the diabetes online community, you know that #MedicareCoverCGM is a big deal. We have continued to raise awareness on #MedicareCoverCGM because we believe that ALL people living with diabetes should have access to continuous glucose monitors (CGM). With Read on! →

#WalkWithD: Making MORE Sense of Diabetes

A few years ago, we at Diabetes Hands Foundation reached out to the members on TuDiabetes and asked them to share their perspective of life with diabetes through one of the five senses, as part of an initiative called Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service