I'm getting a CGM tomorrow to wear with my Medtronic Paradigm. Do you guys think there is anything I should know that can't be read in training manuals etc?? I'd like to know if you guys like it, hate it, where is the best place to wear it, things like that. Thanks!

Views: 552

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Maybe another choice, besides using vodka before inserting, is to use some ice cubes on the spot for 3-5 minutes. When I was initially experimenting with inserting the lance, I was also paralyzed with fear at times, but found icing the area thoroughly before inserting, helped a lot with me overcoming the dread. Now it does not bother me because I just think of it as "taking an insulin shot" and getting even better results.
I don't remember where I read about sites for the CGM but I believe it was the Minimed Paradigm Group. They were talking about using the upper thigh area about six inches below the top of the leg. I use it switching from one leg to another. My blood sugars are usually a couple of points different than the meter and it usually last 8-10 days for me. Then I pull. Don't want to leave it in too long. Before I tried this the CGM was way off of the meter 50% of the time and I could only get maybe 5 days from a sensor. I have been using the sensor since they came out with them in 2005, I hardly ever notice the needle anymore. Give the legs a try, can't hurt too much (maybe a few seconds) Oh something else I noticed there is usually very little bleeding.

Have a Blessed day

jenni
Jenni, thanks. I had no idea. I was told I would have better results in the stomach area and that it shouldn't be too far from the infusion site.I've since learned that isn't necessary to have it inserted on the same side of the abdomen. I'm not too dexterous, so trying insertion on the arm or around to mid-back seemed like something I would need help with - so that was not an option! I will try the CGM on the leg. Thank you for sharing. Always learning here.
I'm getting my revel hooked up next week and have been browsing through all these posts. This might be a stupid question but does the needle stay in after you insert the CGM or does it insert like the infusion set and the cannula stays in and the needle is removed?

Not a stupid question. The needle is removed and my CGM sensor has a copper wire that stays inserted in the site.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

DHF receives $200,000 grant from Novo Nordisk

Grant given to support programs aimed at bringing together people touched by diabetes for positive change BERKELEY, CA: December 4, 2014 – Diabetes Hands Foundation (DHF) has received a grant of US$200,000 from Novo Nordisk to support programs aimed at Read on! →

Guest Post: World Diabetes Day 2014 on Twitter… sifting through the data

At Symplur we track hashtags, keywords, user accounts, and pretty much anything else on Twitter that has to do with healthcare. We collect the data and then build countless ways to slice it up so that we’re able to better Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service