How did you get approved for a CGM? I am wanting a CGM as soon as I start basal insulin (on bolus only right now) I am even willing to pay out of pocket if my insurance will not approve. Anyone know the cost of it out of pocket and then for the monthly supplies?
Thanks,
Jenn

Views: 62

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

wow thats good to know...is it still accurate after the first week?? well obviously or ppl wouldnt do it but just wonderin how some ppl get more wear out of em.
No, idea on how to ger more wear. Its one of those YDMV things. For me (and from what Ive heard) port first week trends are more accurate than the first week itself. I try to keep it to about 21 days or so.

as for tissue issues, I don't have red dots post removal nor toughened tissue as far as I can tell. Honestly, I think I would give up ther pump before the dexcom if it came to that.
Having a 3 month log is the best way to go. Your highs from late will be good ammo as well. They will question if you have lows too and once you start on insulin that can be a concern. That might be the sales pitch you need to get it. Also, try to get your doctor behind you. That can be helpful for writing letters and what not. Good luck!
Gosh, I am just not in a hurry for a pump or a CGM. Not that I would have any luck getting them. Perhaps you could get a loaner from your endo for a week or two. So far, I'm lookin pretty good, I don't have hypos, not a lot of unexpected wild stuff goin on. If I'm dealin with this insulin thing for coming decades, maybe I don't want to scar up my body if I don't have to.

If I had to spend that kind of money, I've kinda had my eyes on a dumbell set. Oh, wait, maybe dumbells is the answer to Karen's trivia question. Hold on, I gotta go.
lol yeah I know it's just that I have young children and my husband travels all over the country on business leaving me here for days at a time and all of my family is 9 hours away so I would just feel much more secure and confident having a CGM.
Do they really cause bad scarring??
less if any scarring than a pump because it's a tiny sensor going into your skin.
As far as accuracy usually at the beginning of a sensor use it's less accurate but improves over time and for me the second week tends to be more accurate than the first week.
I haven't had more than 2 weeks since the adhesive wears off or the sensor or extra adhesives start irriating my skin
Check out the dexcom group on this site too, which has discussion about these issues.
I am looking into getting the Dexcom, too. I contacted Dexcom directly and they have been helping me with the process. I am currently waiting to hear back on my insurance's decision (BCBS).

However, I am wearing a CGMS system right now. It is a 3 day blind study. I wear the sensor, but not a transmitter and log everything all day long. At the end of the 3 days I see my endo to review the results.

I'm hoping it's a good dry run to see how I like wearing the sensor. Also, I just went on the OmniPod pump, so I want to see what that's doing. I am sure the information is not as good as a real-time CGM. But it's what I've got for now.

I am trying the MiniMed iPro CGMS (http://www.minimed.com/professionals/cgms/index.html). Dexcom has one too, but my endo doesn't offer it. You may want to see if that's an option for you.
Awesome! I have BCBS as well, let me know how it goes, good luck!
My endo surprised me and when she wrote the letter of necessity for the new pump, she did a letter of necessity for a CGM. I got a phone call from Dexcom and I thought it was just and advertising call. It was not until the person on the other end told me she had the letter of necessity in her hand that I realized it was true. I had figured that the insurance company had just paid $7000.00 for the pump I was not going to push it by asking for a CGM right away. I was approved and I love the CGM.

I would do everything I could to get the insurance company to pay for the CGM before I would go ahead and out of pocket it. I saw somewhere online that the transmitter and receiver is like $1200.00 and the monthly supplies are a little over $300.00. The transmitter and receiver are only warrantied for a year. That is if the insurance company pays for it.
Glad you got what you needed with no hassle thats awesome! Trust me, I will do all I can to get the insurance to pay before I do out of pocket.
Wow, you're really jumping into this!!! If you pay out of pocket, you should just be able to ask your endo to write the script (Dex will ask for you, but you should let them know ahead of time). But try to get insurance coverage. It's a decent chunk of change, more the monthly supplies than anything else. Some insurance companies have policies online, look for yours. Some require certain conditions (like readings <50, hypo-unawareness, A1c > X). If you have any low bgs that you don't feel come on, report them to your endo so they can document it and get you some cgm!
lol head first!! that's how I roll!
I will def remember your tips, thanks Tom!

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

DHF receives $200,000 grant from Novo Nordisk

Grant given to support programs aimed at bringing together people touched by diabetes for positive change BERKELEY, CA: December 4, 2014 – Diabetes Hands Foundation (DHF) has received a grant of US$200,000 from Novo Nordisk to support programs aimed at Read on! →

Guest Post: World Diabetes Day 2014 on Twitter… sifting through the data

At Symplur we track hashtags, keywords, user accounts, and pretty much anything else on Twitter that has to do with healthcare. We collect the data and then build countless ways to slice it up so that we’re able to better Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service