How did you get approved for a CGM? I am wanting a CGM as soon as I start basal insulin (on bolus only right now) I am even willing to pay out of pocket if my insurance will not approve. Anyone know the cost of it out of pocket and then for the monthly supplies?
Thanks,
Jenn

Views: 49

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have also been looking into the Dexcom for my son. Endo wants us to wait until its intergated with the Omnipod he's been using for 8 months now (We love it), not sure yet about our coverage. Started the BS log forms twice now, and sat on them because I was unsure. He's only had a handful of <50 (dx 12/09) because he is very aware of going low, that shouldn't be a strike. I am ready to get more information, though fortunately he would have to wear it. We need to troubleshoot his morning blood sugars pre and post meal. Dawn Phenomenom sometimes/ high after always. We made some changes, but a CGM would so helpful. Plus he will be driving in a year or so, nobody like to do all those checks. I think you should get it approved because you are home alone with the kids, for that alone! Ive used lil mama for a screenname before too. Lots of Luck.
I would say go for the cgm, the more tools the better!!
I think my MM CGM was around $1000 and the sensors are about $30 each. My insurance pays. I did not have to prove hypos but I was pregnant when I got it.
According to my endo., being type 1 automatically qualifies you for CGM under BlueCross/BlueShield (my insurance). I didn't have any problems with them covering the CGM.

My sensors, without insurance, are $42 each and last 3 days; so $420 a month. The CGM is integrated into my pump, so I don't know the cost of it separately, but the pump + CGM was just north of $7K, paid by the insurance company. My out of pocket was about $200.

(I have the Medtronic Paradigm 523 with CGM).
Thats good to know, I have BCBS as well.I'm assuming the doctors label type 1.5 as simply type 1 for insurance purposes..right?
I think that since "officially" there is no type 1.5, LADA all gets lumped in with Type 1.

I think before you can ask your insurance to pay for it, you need a doctor/endo to say you need it. My process went like this:

• Told the endocrinologist that I was ready for a pump with CGM. The doctor's office contacted Medtronic to get things started.
  • Medtronic contacted me for information to submit to the insurance company.
  • Once it was approved by insurance, Medtronic called me with an estimate of what was covered.  After I agreed they shipped me the goods. They billed the insurance and whatever they didn't cover came to me as a bill about 2 months later.
I don't know what health insurance you have but the rep from MM said they are usually approved for type 1 diabetics. I have Blue Cross a she said they are good about it. I am getting a new pump and decided to get a CGM too and I will probably wear it at night mostly. She also said I can upgrade when/if a new model comes out. Good luck

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

#MedicareCoverCGM Panel Discussion

If you follow the diabetes online community, you know that #MedicareCoverCGM is a big deal. We have continued to raise awareness on #MedicareCoverCGM because we believe that ALL people living with diabetes should have access to continuous glucose monitors (CGM). With Read on! →

#WalkWithD: Making MORE Sense of Diabetes

A few years ago, we at Diabetes Hands Foundation reached out to the members on TuDiabetes and asked them to share their perspective of life with diabetes through one of the five senses, as part of an initiative called Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service