I was diagnosed Type 2 in July 2007 and am now questioning whether I am, in fact 1.5 (LADA). I just got my C-Peptide back. It is 0.381 with a lab value of 0.90 to 4.00. I realize C-peptide isn't conclusive because Type 2's over time produce less insulin. I wasn't able to get antibody tests where I live. Next week I will be going to the capital for my first endo visit and will hopefully get those then.

Meanwhile, I was curious as to the numbers of people who know their c-peptides. Please include whether you are Type 1, 1.5 or 2. Thanks!
Zoe

Views: 1122

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Which numbers do you use for your A1c? We have new values and old values (which are the same obviously). You should use the new numbers, not the old ones. My first A1C was 106 (new value) which is the same as 11.9% (old value). Which value corresponds with your values? Or do you use estimated Average Glucose values?
Push my doctor? He sent me back to the GP...

I don't know anything about "new values". I've never heard anyone here in the U.S. (and most of the people on TuD) use anything but the ones correlating to your 11.9. So that's what I'm going to stick with until someone here starts using a different system!

Hi Smile: If your c-peptide is low (and yours appears to be although you don't provide the reference range) and you are GAD positive, you have Type 1 diabetes (according to the Expert Committee on the Diagnosis and Classification of Diabetes Mellitus). Welcome to the club! I always feel weird saying that :)

Hi Melitta,
I don't have the / a preference range of the c-peptide. I just asked the GP's assistent to read me the numbers because the endo sent me back to the GP for treatment. I still have mixed feelings: should I ask to go back to the endo for a proper diagnosis (instead of the diagnosis 'type unknown' which he gave me) or should I just keep doing what I am doing; trying to fix and handle it with a diet, sports and metformin.
It feels a bit childish and silly to ask to go back to an endo but I feel the lack of a proper diagnosis bothers me. As if you are not taken seriously, as if you don't matter. Not being taken seriously really bothers me, consider me too sensitive in this case. And I don't know why this diagnosis means so much to me. Most people don't even know the difference between type 1 and type 2 anyway.
Maybe I should consult a psychologist instead of an endo, haha.

I know you asked Melitta, but I'll stick my two cents in here. Type does matter imho, for many reasons. When I figured out (on my own) that I was Type 1 after being treated as a Type 2 for 15 months and then had that confirmed by an endo, it was very validating to me and involved a real switch in how I looked at my D.

I would not be content with "diagnosis type unknown". As Melitta says, with GAD positive and low c-peptide you are Type 1. Also, studies show that treating LADA (slow onset Type 1) early with insulin helps save beta cells. You need to get correctly diagnosed, evaluated and then make conscious decisions with your health care providers about treatment. And I don't think you are being either childish or silly. Type 1 and Type 2 are two very different conditions.

I am certainly not content with that diagnosis but the fact that I was sent back to the GP does not make me feel taken seriously, by the endo in particular and by health care in general. The assistent to the GP told me at the last visit that the honeymoon in diabetes was the period in the beginning of diabetes in which you felt overwhelmed by the disease, the period in which you have to get used to your condition... My chin dropped quite some inches by this lack of knowledge.

In a week or so I have an appointment and I will ask if can get back to the hospital. For a real diagnosis. And proper treatment.

Shawnmarie, in the Netherlands it is not only T1 or T2 that matters but also using insulin or not. If you are not on insulin you have to pay for your test material yourselves (which can get rather expensive but which I feel is important to me to get a better grip on my bg-values).

I've been T1 for over 50 years & I've never had a C-Peptide test. I came to the USA in 1982 from the UK, started on a pump in 2007 & am now on Medicare (Kaiser Medicare Advantage plan). No doc has ever suggested I have the test, I mentioned it to my current Endo & he said why?

I agree that there is probably no purpose to it in your case, Annabella!

But for newly diagnosed adult diabetics who may (still!) be falling through the cracks in correct diagnosis (because it is still thought Type 1's are all diagnosed as children), c-peptide and antibody testing is very important!

I am in the same boat as you! I was diagnosed 10 years ago at age 19 just by a fasting blood glucose test. We tried diet and excersise which didnt' work. Then it was onto Metformin which I maxed out then glyburide was added. My sugars were always bad, high. I always felt like it was my fault and sometimes the dr. made me feel that way. I could not even eat a sandwhich without my sugar going really high. I was always in the 200-500 ranges. Nobody ever said anything about c-peptide or GAD tests. I just began to accept that I was probably not going to get it under control and I'd probably die young like my grandmother. Then at age 24 I got pregnant with my first baby which I later miscarried. Then in Jan 2008 on my 25th b-day I got pregnant with my daughter. I decided to go to a different OB who sent me to a Diabetic Dr. The Diabetic Dr put my on insulin right away for the first time in my life. It took about 2 weeks to bring my sugar under control and within a little more then a month my A1C was 7% which I never had before! When I delivered my daughter my A1C was 5.6%. I kept it pretty good until my daughter was around 2. I began loosing control my Dr suggested a pump. I also have Medicaid(they won't pay for a pump for me). My C-peptide came back at 0 but my GAD came back Neg so she won't change my diagnosis to type 1. I had my c-peptide checked in 2010 8 years into my diagnosis. Who knows how much insulin I had before. I know for the first five years I at least had enough to keep me alive and out of DKA but I was sick a lot with infections and had very low engery and very high readings so who know what would have happened had I not become pregnant with my daughter. I am sure glad I stayed on insulin after delivery though. My A1C is 11% now, I am having so much trouble with it. If she ups my Lantus I bottom out, I currantly take 25 units when she had my on 34 I bottomed out to 30! I really need a pump because I can't get regulated with shots anymore for some reason. I am takeing a CNA class this month and hope to have a full time job in Sept to get on my husbands insurnce, hopefully then I can get on a pump! I think all diabetics should have their C-peptide and GAD checked every year. It should just be part of routine Diabetis care because I am reading more and more people who have been misdiagnosed. I am thinking of getting a second opinion, because the PA in my dr office thinks I am type 1 but the dr thinks I am type 2. Plus the PA said over time a type 1's GAD will become neg. Think about that.

Hi Runner, this is a very old thread, but I'm glad you found it. I'm so sorry you have been through such torture over you diagnosis; it makes me so angry to hear that. I basically rediagnosed myself and then just went to a new doctor and said, "I'm Type 1". It helps that I've moved a lot, so the only example of my diagnosis is self-diagnosis. I hope that you get a pump to regulate your blood sugars. Be sure to re-read Using Insulin by John Walsh and get Pumping Insulin by him as well to help you really brush up on your skills and then make the best use of the pump.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

DHF receives $200,000 grant from Novo Nordisk

Grant given to support programs aimed at bringing together people touched by diabetes for positive change BERKELEY, CA: December 4, 2014 – Diabetes Hands Foundation (DHF) has received a grant of US$200,000 from Novo Nordisk to support programs aimed at Read on! →

Guest Post: World Diabetes Day 2014 on Twitter… sifting through the data

At Symplur we track hashtags, keywords, user accounts, and pretty much anything else on Twitter that has to do with healthcare. We collect the data and then build countless ways to slice it up so that we’re able to better Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service