how many of you have been diagnosed late, like 50...? do you have diabetes in your family? are my chances (not really good choice of word, really) higher if I have two kids with type 1, but no other history in the family?

Views: 494

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Diagnosed T1 at 53. No diabetes in my family, except for a great great aunt who was T2 in her senior years. She controlled it with diet & lived to a healthy old age.
Dx T1 at 50. Family history: aunts and uncles. MDI for now, on the fence about a pump.
Diagnosed T2 at 59 but I now know I had it for quite some time before. T2 on my maternal side.
I was diagnosed T1 at the age of 59; coming up on my third anniversary in January. I had one T1 uncle.

Sue
Darn interesting question, what with two T1 kids. Surely someone on this board -- whose kids were dx'd T1 -- was dx'd LADA?

My family didn't have a speck of T1 history, but it's riddled with T2s. My T1 dx came six weeks after turning 49 and slightly more than two years after dx as T2; I was actually relieved because I finally had an explanation for why the diet and exercise changes I'd adopted as a T2 just weren't making a difference. As for where it came from my school of thought runs toward the viral connection, having had facial shingles at 29 (ouch...)

Judith, do you remember the kinectic toy that was five steel balls suspended from a wooden frame? If you pulled back one, two or three then let them go, they would strike the remaining suspended balls and create an opposite reaction of either one, two or three at the other end.

That's how MY planets have aligned...

So does this come down to 'what caused it?

Meeting with a new doctor here, told him I have type 2 (diagnosed years ago) and added that I have haemachromatosis (iron overload) and this possibly caused it ...

To my surprise he said, 'now that changes everything. that completely changes my attitude to you.' So if it was my fault (caused by obesity perhaps) ... what was he going to do? But as this wasn't really my fault, maybe even caused my obesity ... well that's different, he was willing to be nice to me.

Heamachromatosis, in theory, affects 1 in 300 of 'northern European' genetic extraction. As a fair-skinned caucasian, that puts me in the box.
When I was in the UK I went to a clinic to check my ferretin levels, and they were so excited to see me, and couldn't believe that (in Australia) I had already been tested and was aware of my condition. They said they are expecting to find a lot of people with the condition, but unaware of it, and displaying in in ways such as diabetes which it can cause. They go to diabetes clinics to find people with it - but it hasn't been turning out as they expected.

Anyway, the point is, people over 50 with haemachromatosis tend to have quite a build up of iron (especially women past menopause), and this can initiate diabetes ... apparently.

Hemochromatosis is a genetic condition that causes the accumulation of iron, and that accumulation takes place in the organs, including the pancreas (and the thyroid leading to hypothyroidism). This form of diabetes is called "Bronze" diabetes and is technically different than a pure T1 or T2. But this form of diabetes is just as severe and it is often complicated because hemochromatosis can cause damage to all your organs. It is my understanding that the treatment is to avoid iron laden foods and to submit yourself for regular bleeding (phlebotomy).

Some people estimate the the prevalence in the US is as high as 1 in 200. A simple test can be ordered by your GP to confirm the excess accumulation of iron, but many doctors think it is rare. Gosh, how could doctors be wrong?

As to the genetic link in diabetes, it is actually complicated. While Hemochromatosis has a specific identified genetic link and is expressed at a high rate, things are more complicated in T1 and T2. A modest number of genes have been identified in T1 (perhaps 20 or so), but only "some" people with the genes actually express the condition and get T1. There appears to be a range of environmental conditions which affect the expression. Dan Hurley explores some of this in his book "Diabetes Rising." There is a large list of genes implicated in T2 and the condition is much more complex. Below is a chart showing some of the odds for T1. Note that actually the inheritence rates are pretty low.

Wonder why the discrepancy between moms and dads.
I was 50 when I was dx'd, and the assumption was that I was type 2. Eleven years later, I was dx'd type 1. The first was by a family practice physician and the second by an endocrinologist who suspected autoimmune conditions. Metformin had held my A1c's in the 6-7 range until, suddenly, it didn't. I've been on pens for 6 months, but tonight is pump class and Tuesday the 15th is start day...

good luck with the pump, if diabetes attacked me today, I would go for it right away; it has made my kids' life so much easier to deal with.

Valerie- I was Dx'ed with T-1 when I was 55. Have had it for almost 13 years. There is no history of any D in my family on either side.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

TuDiabetes Is Getting A Makeover!

Written By Emily Coles, TuDiabetes Community Manager. Last summer we surveyed members of TuDiabetes and EsTuDiabetes online communities, and gained some GREAT insights! We learned that our members are happy with the information and support they receive on TuDiabetes and Read on! →

An eye opening experience at @CWDiabetes!

Last month, I had one of the most amazing experiences I have had with technology since I have been living with diabetes. It happened at the Focus On Technology conference organized by Children With Diabetes in Los Angeles (the first Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service