Deborah Cohen on Nestlé and the International Diabetes Federation: comfortable bedfellows?

from BMJ Group Blogs - May 14, 2012

Nestlé has just announced a three year partnership with the International Diabetes Federation(IDF)—an umbrella organisation representing national diabetes societies from around the world— as part of its contribution to the fight against non-communicable diseases (NCDs). Such diseases include cardiovascular disease, cancer respiratory illness and diabetes. 

“As part of our commitment to nutrition, health and wellness, we will work with the International Diabetes Federation to build awareness and promote healthy lifestyles including healthy nutrition and physical activity,” Janet Voûte, Global Head of Public Affairs at Nestlé, said.

Continiued

Tags: IDF

Views: 199

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The IDF has attempted to position itself as an objective voice for diabetes public health. But it fights against inherent corruption. All around the corporate forces from the food and pharma industry lurk. The IDF depends on member organizations, which in the US are the ADA and AADE for support and these organizations are already permeated by corporate interests. You can only make so much money holding a world congress. It is only a matter of time before fiscal pressure resulted in such alliances.

Nestle has a long history of buying itself social graces whilst destroying the health of the nations it purports to protect. From trying to discourage nursing in developing nations in the 70's to its support front-of-package "healthy" labeling of inherently unhealthy foods, Nestle has been the foe of healthy eating for decades...

You might like the book "Chocolate Wars" which contrasts the rivalries between Cadbury and Nestle. Cadbury was founded and led by Quakers, who had a long history of social duty and honesty. This is in total opposition to Nestle. In the end, Krafts took over Cadbury. Krafts is no better than Nestle.

Ugh OK? I guess? But really not the bestest thing I've heard lately

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

FDA Docket Extended! We Need You.

If you are new to diabetes advocacy in the traditional sense of the word, you may be thinking, “What the heck is a docket!?” I certainly was the first twenty times I heard it (yes it took that long). For Read on! →

An Open Letter from @AskManny, @DiabetesHF to @NYTRosenthal, @NYTimes

Dear Ms. Rosenthal: I am a person living with type 1 diabetes since the age of 30. I am also the President and co-Founder of the Diabetes Hands Foundation, a nonprofit aimed at connecting and mobilizing the diabetes community. Seeing Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Heather Gabel
(Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator
Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators
Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service